British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-11, 06:26 PM

Default Multi Terrain Pattern-patches

Not sure if anyone has posted pictures of these before but I suspect that a new group of collectable insignia has been born.

This is the latest type of combat clothing worn by the British army called Multi Terrain Pattern (MTP). A lot of thought has gone into the design of the clothing to make it both practical and comfortable.

What is of interest to badge collectors is that the shirts/smocks have separate square Velcro patches so that badges can be sewn on and changed or removed as required.

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0917.jpg (62.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0914.jpg (34.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0916.jpg (41.8 KB, 89 views)
Old 03-09-11, 06:50 PM

Image number 1 shows the MTP Jacket (PCS) with the incorrectly factory placed Union Flag there are (were) a large number of these issued, and the recipient had to remove it and place it on the removable patch in image number 2. The Yorkshire Regiment badge in image number 3 is upside down. None of the new MTP (PCS) are shirts, one is a Jacket to be worn outside the trousers (Yank style) and the other is a Smock. So far the MoD have not released any material into the public sector for badges or rank slides, most of those on sale web sites are made from Cyre Multi Cam. There are MoD issued rank slides but not many outside the system.

(PCS = Personal Clothing System)

Marc
Old 03-09-11, 07:11 PM

Thanks for that Marc, some interesting information there.

This jacket as you correctly describe it (but really its a shirt) is one of 4 that were issued to my son a couple of weeks ago. They were told not to remove the union flag from the shirt/jacket nor to add anything to it. Perhaps if the union flag is incorrectly sewn on, it may be worth more in the future!

The 12 Mech Brigade badge and the Yorkshire TRF were issued already sewn onto the detachable Velcro MTP squares and as can be seen, they were attached at an offset angle so that when they fit the arm of the shirt/jacket they look straight.

Finally, the Yorkshire Regt TRF is not sewn on upside down, it was photographed upside down!!!!

Here it is as it should be.

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0916.jpg (41.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-09-11, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
They were told not to remove the union flag from the shirt/jacket nor to add anything to it.

The 12 Mech Brigade badge and the Yorkshire TRF were issued already sewn onto the detachable Velcro MTP squares and as can be seen, they were attached at an offset angle so that when they fit the arm of the shirt/jacket they look straight.
I am sure they will be told to remove it once the fault report gets through and it is noted that the Union Flag is at an angle. It should be on the detachable patch. If the patches were issued with the badges already on then they will have been removed from the Jackets and Smocks by the QM Staff so that the badges could be added by the tailor. It also means that there will be 2 Union Flags being worn at the same time on the same sleeve.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-09-11, 12:01 AM

Default TRFs

Marc,

Do any of the TRFs have a velcro back to go directly on the shirt/jaclet?

John
Old 04-09-11, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

John,

They do not come issued with velcro but soldiers have in the past had velcro added to some. Now that these MTP blanking plates are used for wear on the jackets' sleeves this is no longer required.
Old 04-09-11, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Marc,

Do any of the TRFs have a velcro back to go directly on the shirt/jaclet?

John
The first pattern Smock is still worn in some units, as not all have been issued the new pattern. Therefore velcro backed badges will be around for a while yet.

Each Jacket and Smock come with the MTP patches on the sleeves, they are not a separate item, however as they begin to be lost or worn out I can see them becoming an NSN item. There is no MTP shirt and never has been.

Marc
Old 04-09-11, 10:39 AM

Wrong on the shirt Mucka, the first MTP issued was On the CS95 Kit, I have the full set; Smock, Shirt, Trousers, shorts etc... These were all based on CS95, my uncle can confirm this as he was issued it. It was a quick rush design to be sent to theatre asap, PCS is currently replacing it

The shirt can be seen on some pics, shirt sleeve order and tucked into the trousers, PCS is based on the yank kit, there is no PCS shirt...yet
Old 04-09-11, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rordog95 View Post
Wrong on the shirt Mucka, the first MTP issued was On the CS95 Kit, I have the full set; Smock, Shirt, Trousers, shorts etc... These were all based on CS95, my uncle can confirm this as he was issued it. It was a quick rush design to be sent to theatre asap, PCS is currently replacing it

The shirt can be seen on some pics, shirt sleeve order and tucked into the trousers, PCS is based on the yank kit, there is no PCS shirt...yet
There is no shirt in either CS95 or MTP, they are all Jackets. It may have been worn as a shirt, but the correct name in MTP is,

CS95 type 1 = JACKET, COMBAT, MULTI TERRAIN PATTERN (MTP)
CS95 type 2 = JACKET, COMBAT. TROPICAL MULTI-TERRAIN PATTERN
PCS type 1 = JACKET COMBAT TEMPERATE WEATHER MTP (PCS) {as this is Temperate Weather I expect to see a tropical at some stage.

The CS95 = Jacket DPM Combat Lightweight and Jacket, Combat, Lightweight, Woodland DP.

The only shirt in Desert DPM = Shirt, Combat, Underbody Armour or Shirt, Under Combat Body Armour, Desert, DPM or Shirt, Hot Weather, Under Body Armour Combat Shirt.

And MTP = Under, Combat Body Armour Shirt, Multi Terrain Pattern MTP or Shirt, Hot Weather, Under Combat Body Armour Shirt MTP

Marc
Old 04-09-11, 01:22 PM

Default TRFs

Alan and Marc,

Thank you
John
Old 04-09-11, 05:24 PM

Just had a look in my MTP Shirt, it says Jacket

Well, it is classed and called a shirt only the label says different. I'm going to miss mine when PCS comes in
Old 09-09-11, 04:06 PM

Badges on MTP (PCS) Combat Uniform (CU), Official regulations.

The only badges to be sewn directly onto the material are:
Shoulder titles for Commando Forces and Aircrew wings.

Shoulder Titles of; ROYAL MARINES COMMANDO | ROYAL NAVY COMMANDO | ARMY COMMANDO are to be worn at the top of both sleeves.
The Aircrew wings are to be worn no higher than the top of the left breast pocket.

Blanking Plates.

The other official badges are to be sewn onto the 'blanking patches' these are not to exceed 2 badges on each plate and are to be in the order of;

on the right, Para or SF wings, TRF, EOD or ATO badge (wings and TRF or TRF and EOD or TRF and ATO),
on the left, Union Emblem and a Formation Flash.

The shoulder title ARMY COMMANDO is to be worn as a qualification badge in perpetuity by all soldiers who have passed the All Arms Commando Course (the Fighting Knife badge [Commando Dagger] is still to be worn in all other forms of dress).

Name tapes are not to be worn.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-09-11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-09-11, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
I am sure they will be told to remove it once the fault report gets through and it is noted that the Union Flag is at an angle.
Marc
Guess what Marc, my son is away from his Battalion on a course at the moment and was gripped by one of his Sgts who has just arrived at the course who told him to get the union flag off as everyone back at Battalion have taken theirs off!

Your information is very accurate but isn't it funny how the army works?????

Ivan
Old 20-09-11, 03:55 PM

I think that it should always be remembered that what is listed as the stores designation is exactly that - a means of identifying clothing backed by an NSN. Whilst to a collector and historian it may be a jacket but to a soldier in CS95 and the new issue it's a shirt.

Funny how when CS95 came out with the Union Flag already sewn on, these also had to be removed as they were in the wrong place as the crease didn't run through it. Yes we all know that they weren't supposed to be ironed but they are.
Old 13-09-12, 07:15 PM

Default MTP Badges - Smock

Wonder if anyone can help, Im referring to the "smock" and not what I think a few people are calling the shirt / jacket i.e. the cold weather type smock being issued - how are badges attached? are there blanking plates like with the shirt jacket or do velcro badges go directly onto the arms?

Thanks

Hammy