British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-08-11, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Is that because, for both nsts and bp, there would have been a ready, convenient source of battledress uniform, it being not long after ww2?

Phil
I think that is entirely possible! and for a long time after! I remember wearing battledress in the Army cadets when I first joined in the 70's as did the Air cadets too! and in the late 70's early 80's the RNXS were wearing navy blue battledress! but then with well over a million people in uniform in WW2 (Not to mention the civilian services like the ARP) there must have been an aweful lot of surplus battledress about for decades!

Regards Tony
Old 10-08-11, 01:52 PM

That may explain why I cant sell my raf battledress too. Lol. My uncle used to wear a mess dress jacket as a fashion thing. I can only guess from his description that it was a cavalry item. He burnt it after he got married. I wonder what happened to all the other millions of battledress.

Phil
Old 11-08-11, 05:46 PM

Hi Guys
Thanks so much to all of you for your help and this forum never lets me down with how much knowledge members have.

Thanks so much again.

Rob
Old 22-08-11, 09:22 AM

Sorry, just a note on the cap badge, that type of rampant lion was not just used by the Belgian troop of n10 IA commando, also by all Free Belgian units during the war (and, far more common) by all 1000s of Belgian soldiers in the '50s, '60s and '70s. Maybe even into the '80s and '90s.