British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-10, 05:09 PM

Default WW2 ribbon bar question

Hi. I don't know if these forums deal with questions on medals and awards, but I will ask anyways. I am trying to determine which WW2 campaign ribbons would have been issued during the war, and which ones would have been issued post-war. I have seen a number of WW2 photographs showing soldiers wearing ribbon bars on their uniform, but never with a full compliment of ribbons. I understand that some campaign medals were available before the war ended, but that others were not available until post-war. I am guessing the same applied to the corresponding ribbons for the ribbon bar.

Does anyone know the date that each campaign medal/ribbon was issued or became available? Which ribbons would have been issued and worn on a medal bar before the end of hostilities? Which ribbons would only have been seen on a ribbon bar post-war?
Old 04-02-10, 08:45 PM

My understanding is that only the 1939-43 Star (later changed to the 39-45 Star) and the Africa Star were approved during the war by the Brits and the CVSM was approved by Canada. None of these were issued during the war although the ribbons were available.
All other Stars as well as the WWII medal and the Defence of Britain medal were approved post-war.
Old 05-02-10, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
My understanding is that only the 1939-43 Star (later changed to the 39-45 Star) and the Africa Star were approved during the war by the Brits and the CVSM was approved by Canada. None of these were issued during the war although the ribbons were available.
All other Stars as well as the WWII medal and the Defence of Britain medal were approved post-war.
This is what I suspected, but wasn't 100% certain. Thanks for the feedback. I have seen several wartime pictures of RCAF aircrew, for example, with a simple 2-ribbon bar - 39-45 star ribbon and CVSM ribbon.
Old 05-02-10, 03:54 PM

Guide to WWII Campaign Medals & Stars

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/bri...rs_defence.htm

Wanted Poppy Pins