British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-14, 03:02 PM

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Frank,

I actually suspect the previous owner was brutally murdered; The hair is the only link I have to the owner and so I am loath to part with it
Old 28-04-14, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
Already posted on another thread in this forum: a black beret with the SATC beret badge but also the flash of the NMR: quite an interesting combination, as one would think that even as tank troops, the NMR would have retained their own badge?
Hi Loupie
That flash is for UMR, not NMR. Not sure if they wore the armoured badge up North or their own badge. Maybe they wore the armoured badge and just left the flash on for individuality?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 28-04-14, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Alex

The problem I have is that the only place one wore collar badges were on the "stepout" jacket or older "bunny" jacket and unit badges worn on berets/caps. Standard dress on the Border was "browns" with no collar badges and no badges on bush hats, it is of course possible for the band members to have taken dress uniform but where and when would they have worn them? Definately not on patrol or on over border attacks. No one went on Patrol wearing berets or caps.

I would be interested to find out more please do follow up with the NMR guys.

I feel these blackened badges were from the WW2 era.

Regards
Brian
Hi Brian

Not having been there I could never say for certain, I just have what I've been told. The other thing is that there were guys in both these units still wearing bunny jackets into the '80s so they may have had them with them. I've seen photos of them being worn in the messes. I'll definitely try to get more info though, I'll be seeing some of the old hands next Saturday.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 28-04-14, 10:20 PM

Alex

I have been doing a bit of digging and found a picture of Senior CTH NCO's wearing their headress in SWA in a base camp but their badges appear to be of the chromed version!

This is very unusual but doubt they would have been allowed to go on patrol like that! So my appologies for being sceptical BUT believe me I went with DLI and they all wore bush hats and their OC was a sod regards traditions.

It would be interesting to know what other units wore traditional headress in SWA?

Please find out more from the NMR guys.

Bunny jackets into the 80's appears very strange as the traditional 70's "stepouts" faded out in the early 80's replaced by the "cravat, stable belt and white puttie" era of dress.

Brian
Old 29-04-14, 09:32 AM

No hairs one this one!

Quote:
Frank,

I actually suspect the previous owner was brutally murdered; The hair is the only link I have to the owner and so I am loath to part with it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020501.jpg (62.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 30-04-14, 11:46 AM

Hi Alex,

I also saw it wasn't NMR but wasn't sure what flash it was. My own thought was that maybe they were transfered to the SATC and kept there own flash, actually as you suggested.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Loupie
That flash is for UMR, not NMR. Not sure if they wore the armoured badge up North or their own badge. Maybe they wore the armoured badge and just left the flash on for individuality?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 30-04-14, 11:47 AM

You've just cut it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
No hairs one this one!
Old 30-04-14, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Alex

Bunny jackets into the 80's appears very strange as the traditional 70's "stepouts" faded out in the early 80's replaced by the "cravat, stable belt and white puttie" era of dress.

Brian
Hi Brian
I'm not sure but I think the bunny jackets were kept on in the bands because the step out jackets were cut too long for were with a kilt and sporran. In the 80's NMR started tailoring the step out jackets for wear with kilts so they were cut away in the front. If I remember correctly at least one of the battalions of the TS were still wearing bunny jackets into the 90's.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 30-04-14, 08:03 PM

Not the best of photographs perhaps, but, I certainly did not, I'll do a better photo for you, it actually belonged to and was worn in Italy by the gentleman on the right!

Quote:
You've just cut it out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020490.jpg (37.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-05-14, 03:55 AM

Just joking, I have the more recent beret badge with it's original backing.
Nice that you have the history with the badge.

NMR large beret.jpg

Quote:
Not the best of photographs perhaps, but, I certainly did not, I'll do a better photo for you, it actually belonged to and was worn in Italy by the gentleman on the right!
Old 01-05-14, 04:44 AM

Frank

Very nice, I must dig my ST variations out and compare.

Brian
Old 03-05-14, 05:12 PM

Hello Iain,
It seems that particular shade of green has been all enduring and stood the test of time with the regiment.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Just joking, I have the more recent beret badge with it's original backing.
Nice that you have the history with the badge.

Attachment 105185
Old 03-05-14, 06:32 PM

Hi Frank,

yes, didnt you show an QVC NMR helmet badge with a green Melton backing cut in a circle with pinking shears, once? (On another forum!)

regards, Iain

Quote:
Hello Iain,
It seems that particular shade of green has been all enduring and stood the test of time with the regiment.
Regards Frank
Old 03-05-14, 06:57 PM

Hello Iain,
Sadly, I am not really a badge collector, I just collect medals, unlike many on here, I cannot put my hand on things quickly, I don't display any of it, I just seem to have stuff packed in a drawer or a box etc and I don't know whats there until I actually open them, so I can't say without looking.
That said, I do quite like badges, I now wish I'd bought more when they could be had for a lot less money than today.
Regards Frank
Old 04-05-14, 02:55 PM

Hi Brian
Spoke to one of the guys who played in the band to see NMR off to the border and he doesn't remember anyone with blackened badges. The troops wore browns with berets and chromed badges, as per normal. No collars.. Don't know about the officers though. Looks like that blackened title may be WWII then?
Cheers,
Alex