British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-01-12, 05:50 PM

Default Silver Royal Signals Cap Badge

I bought this on Sunday as I have a bit of a soft spot for Locally produced badges and Signals badges because of the motor-cycle link.

50mm x 30mm and marked "SILVER" on the back.

Maybe Egyptian? what are your thoughts?

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg signals1.jpg (49.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg signals 2.jpg (49.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 30-01-12, 08:46 PM

I have quite a few cast R Sigs badges and this one looks Indian to me. They wore R Sigs badges until the mid 1930s. I have one in cast brass which is very similar. I will have a look tonight to double check. Never seen one in silver before and one wonders why it is silver.
Rgds Quicksilver
Old 31-01-12, 09:12 AM

I have five cast signals badges like yours. None are exactly the same but they are very similar. To are bronze, one being bronze with a white metal jimmy! Three have tangs similar to yours and to have T L Sharma & Co Aligarh UP. At least that is what I think it says.
Rgds Quicksilver
Old 31-01-12, 07:11 PM

Thanks Quicksilver

I have a few brass and bi-metal Indian ones myself.

Rob.
Old 31-01-12, 09:09 PM

That type of thin slider is often seen on Egyptian made badges.

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 01-02-12, 03:25 PM

Default silver Royal Signals badge

Dear Rob

Delighted my friend Quicksilver has found time to add to this Thread. Not much he doesn't know about signals badges.

A thought of mine to continue the thread is as follows.

I don't think these silvered badges were ever used as cap badges.

Although from 1920 to 1940 one third of Royal Signals personnel were actually serviing in the sub continent of India and many Royal Signals badges amongst other units were made in India by T. W. Sharma and the Bhari Bros. of Ultra Predisch. I believe many of these badges were worn on Belt Buckles and Sporrans of Pipe Bands of the different Signals Units that were stationed there.

Even when the Indian Corps of Signals were allowed to wear Royal Signals badges between 1928 and 1934 when they got their own badge they were not silvered cap badges.

Post 1946 when the new ear of Territorials came into being after the second world war, many units wore these badges as accoutraments and I have photos of these on Baldric Belts (Cross Belts), Sporrans and belt buckles of Bands and Piper Bands.

On my little web site I show a version in the UK Section of the site of a Baldric Belt worn by the 51st Highlabnd Signals Regiment Pipe Band and a silver badge. There are also a few versions of Indian Signals struck cap badges in this section. If you have time take a little look. www.signalsbadges.co.uk

Unfortunately the badge you show is an India sand cast badge and not made in Egypt as Thomas has suggested, not unless the Sharma boys had moved there aswell.

The only version of a Signals (Oval) type cap badge being worn is in the African section of the site and there is a silvered South African Coprs of Signals badge on a beret worn during the second World War. This was unofficial but quite genuine. There may well have been British troops doing the same thing but I have never seen photographic proof of this.

Hope you enjoy my little web site

Best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk