British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-03-20, 07:38 PM

Default 75th Regiment of Foot Glengarry badge

Hi

I would welcome comments on the following brass 75th Stirlingshire glengarry badge. I have only seen this badge in white metal and silver, and was not aware that it also came in brass.

Cheers

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75th Regiment of Foot.jpg (88.2 KB, 94 views)
Old 21-03-20, 08:10 PM

John,

A poor quality modern fake.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 21-03-20, 11:29 PM

You Have taken those pictures from my website without permission and it is a genuine badge with brass lugs check Geoff williams book on Glengarry badges this badge came in Brass, White Metal and Sliver

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 22-03-20, 12:05 AM

Malcolm,

If you are using the guide of having brass loops as a sign of an original then that is very flawed.

A quick search of ebay will throw up several regular sellers of these 'original' glengarry badges to numerous numbered regiments, with brass loops on them.

They are both faked with copper loops both N/S and E/W and similarly with brass ones.

regards

Old 22-03-20, 12:14 AM

Hi Malcolm and Simon

Malcolm sorry about not asking your permission to reproduce the images. I had not seen this badge in brass before and was interested in what others thought. I had no intention of questioning your integrity as a dealer as I have always been impressed by your items. Simon thank you for your comments.

Cheers

John
Old 22-03-20, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Malcolm,

If you are using the guide of having brass loops as a sign of an original then that is very flawed.

A quick search of ebay will throw up several regular sellers of these 'original' glengarry badges to numerous numbered regiments, with brass loops on them.

They are both faked with copper loops both N/S and E/W and similarly with brass ones.

regards
Simon you are entitled to your opinion but I would rather take someone who has extensive knowledge on Glengarry badges like Geoff Williams opinion before yours.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 22-03-20, 12:37 AM

Thanks very much for the Gaunt tablet RE Malc, absolutely lovely badge and great service as always.

The 75th badge in KK plus those sold by Bosley’s and the nice looking ones I’ve seen do not have that lower attachment between the numerals whereas the masses found on eBay do have the join between the tail of the 5 and 7.

I’d also agree that repros are now found with brass loops which are unfortunately deceptively good.

Just my opinion based on observations, I’m no expert and certainly not a glengarry aficionado.
Old 22-03-20, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Thanks very much for the Gaunt tablet RE Malc, absolutely lovely badge and great service as always.

The 75th badge in KK plus those sold by Bosley’s and the nice looking ones I’ve seen do not have that lower attachment between the numerals whereas the masses found on eBay do have the join between the tail of the 5 and 7.

I’d also agree that repros are now found with brass loops which are unfortunately deceptively good.

Just my opinion based on observations, I’m no expert and certainly not a glengarry aficionado.
Hi Luke
Glad the RE badge arrived safely and your happy with it.
The 75th according to G. Williams was Produced with at least 2 differing Dies and the badge shown is like the one shown in his book,
Malc

Old 22-03-20, 11:36 AM

Malcolm,

Firstly I did not know when I commented that the badge in question was on your website. If I had I would have suggested that the poster contacts you on here.

That said, its now out there.

Geoff Williams was an excellent authority on glengarries and I corresponded with him on the subject and his book is excellent, of that there is no doubt, however, the fakers can read to!!

They learn from books like his and from reading the threads on here and develop their faking techniques. We are now at a stage that it has become very difficult to tell some badges apart unless you have a lot of experience in that certain field.

Check these out on ebay:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glengarry...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29th-Worc...53.m1438.l2649

Note the prices.

regards

Old 22-03-20, 12:32 PM

You are quite right in saying fakers are getting better but I could only find 1 75th on ebay
and note the price for this work of art
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTORIAN...4AAOSwmWxdxEy2

Old 22-03-20, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Davey View Post
You are quite right in saying fakers are getting better but I could only find 1 75th on ebay
and note the price for this work of art
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTORIAN...4AAOSwmWxdxEy2
That one is nasty.
Andy
Old 24-03-20, 01:49 AM

Is there anyway to be sure about these badges? I have been wanting to obtain some of these badges for a very long time, but never have felt confident enough to pull the trigger, given the lack of concurrence regarding as to what constitutes an original badge. I hate to say it, but they are in the same league as Third Reich SS material
Surely some of this type must be original....

CB
Old 24-03-20, 09:05 AM

Cool Glengarry badges

When you consider these were the first of the reproduced badges for collectors as far as I am aware made by Fox at around 120+ years ago, it's not surprising that there is confusion as to what is correct and what is suspect.

I think that unless you have a lot of disposable income it's best to avoid trying to buy the whole range of these attractive badges.

Rob
Old 24-03-20, 09:26 AM

CB may I suggest you buy G.F. Mc williams book on Glengarry Badges it provides a lot oF useful information weight, height and width position of brass lugs, Metals etc
Malc

Old 24-03-20, 10:04 AM

Malc agree
Only have items to 99th/62nd
99th Lanarkshire scroll ex his personal collection and the 1 in his book
my other glengarry badges [ L Archer and Epworth trust collection ] including officers & pouch badges had been seen and weighed by geoff The officers for his ref
David