British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-04-20, 08:26 PM

Default Imperial Service Tablet

Hi all, just found this 402219619394 ( sorry never can add the link from my phone) on my evening search of eBay, very interesting never seen this before , now I can add one of these to my cap badge collection.

Gerard
Old 12-04-20, 09:01 PM

Here you are.

Very interesting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-soldi...UAAOSw0iNekuLl

Regards.

Brian
Old 12-04-20, 09:08 PM

Thanks Brian appreciate that, hope your well, as you say interesting, just noticed he’s got a brass shoulder title just visible so seems issued before his cap badge ?

Gerard
Old 13-04-20, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Odd mix especially as he has a 1908 web belt which were unobtainable by the Service and Pals bns in 1914 so they resorted to leather equipment.
Old 13-04-20, 07:21 AM

Is that a shoulder title or some other form of insignia such as a crown?
Old 13-04-20, 07:38 AM

Be careful, a number of copies have appeared in recent times and are often sold as original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
Hi all, just found this 402219619394 ( sorry never can add the link from my phone) on my evening search of eBay, very interesting never seen this before , now I can add one of these to my cap badge collection.

Gerard
Old 13-04-20, 07:59 AM

Hello Frank, thanks for the input, hadn’t realised some of these old studio portrait photographs have been copied/faked it’s hard enough working our way around copied badges but photos as well!!! Are you saying this specific type of photo with a Imperial Service Badge as a cap badge is one which has been added or messed with or other types of pictures with odd insignia?

Gerard

Last edited by gb64; 13-04-20 at 11:43 AM.
Old 13-04-20, 08:20 AM

Sorry I was talking about the actual Imperial Service brooch/bar/tablet themselves and not any image of one, they have started to turn up in provincial antique shops and are often sold as original, certainly not always deliberately either.

Quote:
Hello Frank, thanks for the input, hadn’t realised some of these old studio portrait photographs have been copied/faked it’s hard enough working our way around copied badges but photos as well!!! Are you saying this specific type of photo with a Imperial Service Tablet as a cap badge is one which has been added or messed with or other types of pictures with odd insignia?

Gerard
Old 13-04-20, 08:27 AM

Ok got it now thanks, had me worried for a moment!

Gerard
Old 13-04-20, 08:37 AM

Lambourne made very nice examples, if I were looking for an example, I think I would want one of those, although, you might want all the various examples you can find.
Old 13-04-20, 11:07 AM

Was there not proof presented, a while ago from the NA Kew, that they are called the 'Imperial Service Badge' officially?

I think you'd have a job swallowing one of them!
Old 13-04-20, 11:41 AM

Hi Phil, you’d have a job for sure, I wasn’t 100% on it’s correct title thought tablet was the official one but badge it is ,I’ll amend ,all that said still never seen one in a cap before!

Gerard
Old 13-04-20, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Hi Phil, you’d have a job for sure, I wasn’t 100% on it’s correct title thought tablet was the official one but badge it is ,I’ll amend ,all that said still never seen one in a cap before!

Gerard
No, its quite some photograph. I wonder who will end up owning it.
Old 13-04-20, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Gerard
No, its quite some photograph. I wonder who will end up owning it.
Old 19-04-20, 08:22 PM

Any forum members win this photo today ?

Gerard