British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-03-20, 01:00 PM

Default Bargain Hunt and Antiques Road Trip

In times like the present you do start thinking about rather obscure subjects. In the case of the reality Antiques programmes on tv, I was told by a dealer some years ago that all the dealers in her Antique Centre clubbed together to make up any loss that their colleagues might have made in selling items to contestants at knock down prices.

Are any members of the Forum aware of any other practices in the making of these programmes. I have just seen a glass dish bought for £1 and sold for hundreds, you would have thought the dealer who sold the item for £1 would not have told the programme makers where to go next time they arrived at his premises.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 24-03-20, 01:08 PM

I have heard of dealers refusing to be on because of how hard the programme puts pressure on to reduce their prices even far below what the trade price would be.
Old 24-03-20, 01:23 PM

Default Antiques road show

They are all Auctioners so they have a head start in knowing what the item will sell for.
They do at times boo-boo and this is probably stage managed as is their getting a bargain.
Old 24-03-20, 01:24 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I also know dealers who see it as worth the cost for 6 minutes on the BBC.
Also some of the objects, mysteriuously, come back to the shop...
Old 24-03-20, 01:49 PM

Spending most of my time living in Dorking, Surrey where these shows regularly visit i have to say that most of the Dealers I know, no longer welcome them in.

I also visited a Dealer in Arundel last year who had made up price tags for his items with Tim Wonnacot's (Presenter) face on, telling prospective customers that his prices were real and not the fantasy prices shown on the tv shows.

Simon
Old 24-03-20, 02:51 PM

I think all these programs are made for entertainment only, they have an hour to find their bargains but they can spend 30-40 minutes just on one stall from what I've seen over the years that I've seen them, then you see them with items they've supposedly bought for a couple of pounds even though you know the price was almost the same as that of which they tell you it's real value is on the stall.
Old 24-03-20, 04:21 PM

I have always "assumed" that the production team visit the locations and arrange with the owners or dealers what price each item will be sold for, and that the owners would be paid for appearing to include the balance of the lost price.

Marc
Old 24-03-20, 05:25 PM

I know of a large purchase made on TV by Bruce of Combat Dealers, but when the cameras stopped rolling and money was required to be paid, the TV crew and him just upped and left leaving the seller bewildered.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 24-03-20, 08:35 PM

Default Reductions?

I cannot see why anyone with an antique shop and who hopefully knows something about the trade would sell to someone below trade prices only to see on TV later that the buyer had made lots of profit.

There not even getting that 15 minutes of fame . . !

Rob