British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-03-19, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
This really curbs my desire to further contribute to this forum, but hey, you've satisfied your nazi paraphernalia exibitionism, so all's good, I suppose.
Having some items of German insignia and headgear in my somewhat eclectic collection of militaria (mainly British but also Polish, Serbian, Yugoslavian, plus) does not mean that I am a nazi fan boy.
I am not contravening forum rules and I resent the implied accusation in this and your previous post that I have political sympathies for the nazi regime.
I do not.
I have a non-obsessionall interest in the German armed forces of WWI and WWII.
I do not admire the 3rd Reich.
The Germans were the enemy who shot and wounded my father in France in 1944, who afforded his father the opportunity to earn a Military Medal in France in 1916 and fought against other members of my family in the world wars.
I am simply showing permitted items of militaria on a militaria forum.
The titles of the threads that I start state clearly what the thread is about.
Rather than cease contributing to the forum I would suggest that you don't read the threads that will include items you disapprove of.
Sorry as I am that you are caused upset by my posts, I feel you are being unreasonable and request that you cease your unjustified sniping at me.
Address any concerns that you may have about me and my militaria collection to forum moderators.
I am not here for the "politics" or for the arguments, I am here as a collector of militaria.
Old 09-03-19, 09:44 PM

Most of us have German some Italian items in our collection some of mine brought back by family members and other people I have met. And some I have bought.

I often do displays for the Royal British Legion RAFA etc and they encourage telling History

I even have some Japanese items my Great Uncle Joe served in the Far East and was wounded out GSW

I have a. Piece of German bomber Italian badges Africa corp items brought back by his brother Uncle Sid who served in North Africa Italy F&G their cousin Joe Motteram South Staffordshire Regiment was Killed in Normandy Battle for Caen these items came to me through my Dad.

They are historic items from a bygone age and I for one do not feel any animosity to this cap being shown.infact find it interesting
Regards

Stephen
Old 10-03-19, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
A display that puts my cap storage and display system to shame.
I've progressed as far as having old scaffold board wall shelving as well as IKEA Billy book cases now...........
If you were to drink that bourbon faster Leigh you'd find that much more space would be available for your headgear display

I must admit, although I have been tempted from time to time with headgear and uniforms, space has ruled otherwise, and the wife and kids just don't seem to take the hint that it is time for them to seek other premises to allow me to expand my interests!

On the other point, I don't think it hurts us to broaden our general knowledge of collectible items outside the major thrust of this forum, it is surprising the depth of knowledge that some members can bring to the table.

Keith
Old 10-03-19, 09:22 AM

I just find different bits and pieces of militaria interesting, I don't collect "everything" but I tend to open and view all new posts on the forum albeit some fleetingly depending on whether the information that they give can be appreciated without my already having a deep knowledge of the subject.
Space is a problem, I'm currently moving dozens of fairly modern camo suits around temporary homes within the house, I find that stuffing them in every wardrobe and cupboard isn't appreciated and results in more threats of bonfires on the front lawn. Just carried a few armfuls from "study" (I can see the floor now) to a spare bedroom a few minutes ago. I think I got away with it.
A problem with that sort of collecting is that items get stashed away and left untouched in cupboards for years.
The trouble with bourbon is that it's er kind've something to collect.
Basic Jacky D or Jimmy B ok, they're up for slaughter but if it's something expensive or uncommon I've been given then it's a case of opening them with friends around the barbeque or firepit or Swedish fire log of an evening.

My well stocked combination bourbon bar work bench is testimony to my sad and lonely and yet at times exhilaratingly risk filled lifestyle.

Unfortunately I'm doing more "show" than "tell" with the headgear postings, not getting to the info in the books and notes to complement the images.
Old 10-03-19, 09:23 AM

I used to collect German items, mostly Africa Korps as that is where my dad did most of his WWII service, but most of it went years back as my focus turned back to British SF and Welsh items.

Funny as I have been accused of being a bit of a Welsh nationalist on another forum for collecting mostly welsh items and having the welsh flag as my avatar.

Whatever else one think of the Nazis, they did produce some very fine looking kit and this cap is no exception.

I did notice no one here commented on the IDF items I and Leigh shared with regards to them be apartheid zio nazi regime items....at least that aspect of pc hurt and virtue signalling has not yet invaded this forum.

Jerry
Old 10-03-19, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
Most of us have German some Italian items in our collection some of mine brought back by family members and other people I have met. And some I have bought.

I often do displays for the Royal British Legion RAFA etc and they encourage telling History

I even have some Japanese items my Great Uncle Joe served in the Far East and was wounded out GSW

I have a. Piece of German bomber Italian badges Africa corp items brought back by his brother Uncle Sid who served in North Africa Italy F&G their cousin Joe Motteram South Staffordshire Regiment was Killed in Normandy Battle for Caen these items came to me through my Dad.

They are historic items from a bygone age and I for one do not feel any animosity to this cap being shown.infact find it interesting
Regards

Stephen
The only items to do with the war service of my relatives that I have are some medals, badges, paybooks, photos etc, and a bayonet. If they picked up souvenirs during their service then they're long gone.
I've just remembered - Grandad Buckingham's souvenir Mauser from his RN service in China in the 1920's.
As far as I know the only fatality in my family during the two world wars was a relative who died at Changi as a prisoner of war.
I would imagine that WWII militaria is a popular subject for presentations, perhaps more so if it has a local connection?
It really is "proper history" nowadays, not just a fairly recent occurrence as it was when I was a child playing on bomb sites and showing a mild interest in the gas masks hanging on cellar doors and Anderson shelters.
Old 10-03-19, 09:45 AM

I think you will be alright, Jerry, unless you were member of the "Sons of Glyndwr" or whatsoever they called themselves!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post

Funny as I have been accused of being a bit of a Welsh nationalist on another forum for collecting mostly welsh items and having the welsh flag as my avatar.