British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC)

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20-02-19, 02:29 AM
slick_mick's Avatar
slick_mick slick_mick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,389
Default Queensland Imperial Bushmen Brass Shoulder Title

Hi All,

Here's another photo from my archives.

A nice Queensland Imperial Bushmen brass shoulder title worn during the Boer War.

From Wikipedia:

"The Queensland Imperial Bushmen was an Australian mounted Imperial Bushmen regiment raised in the Queensland colony for service during the Second Boer War.

The British Australian government was called upon to raise battalions to send to South Africa. As with the other five Australian domains, Queensland raised a contingent of mounted soldiers for the Second Boer War. The 4th and 5th Queensland Imperial Bushmen departed Brisbane on 18 May 1900 and were deployed to Cape Town on 31 June 1900. Both contingents served with distinction during the conflict, and developed a tough reputation among the Boers.

Following the conclusion of the conflict, the Queensland Imperial Bushmen sailed for home on 7 July 1901 and were disbanded on 5 May 1902."

Enjoy!

Mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3281.jpg (80.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3282.jpg (74.4 KB, 8 views)
__________________
Looking for Australian military books?

Regimental Books - Australian Unit History specialists

Chasing militaria? I recommend:

Militaria Online - Australian Militaria Sales
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21-02-19, 08:34 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,407
Default

Their shoulder titles were normally made here, in Great Britain, it certainly does not look like a shoulder title, a glance at the photographs suggests to me, at least, a South African made hat badge, made in rather limited quantities simply because of the time consuming nature of the manufacture by jewellers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21-02-19, 10:12 PM
slick_mick's Avatar
slick_mick slick_mick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Their shoulder titles were normally made here, in Great Britain, it certainly does not look like a shoulder title, a glance at the photographs suggests to me, at least, a South African made hat badge, made in rather limited quantities simply because of the time consuming nature of the manufacture by jewellers.
The owner of this told me that it was a shoulder title made in South Africa. He's a big collector of Aussie Boer War items. It could well be a hat badge as items from that period aren't well documented.

Mick
__________________
Looking for Australian military books?

Regimental Books - Australian Unit History specialists

Chasing militaria? I recommend:

Militaria Online - Australian Militaria Sales
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22-02-19, 05:42 AM
Lancer 17 Lancer 17 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia.
Posts: 1,078
Smile

Hi Mick

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Regards Phil.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24-02-19, 08:44 AM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,407
Default

Well, I cannot agree, their shoulder titles were made here, in Great Britain, along with the Queensland Mounted Infantry, if that badge had been made in pairs to be worn upon shoulder straps, you would certainly expect them to be far more common than they actually are, given the relative scarcity of their shoulder titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_mick View Post
The owner of this told me that it was a shoulder title made in South Africa. He's a big collector of Aussie Boer War items. It could well be a hat badge as items from that period aren't well documented.

Mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030406.jpg (53.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P1030407.jpg (60.2 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24-02-19, 08:44 PM
slick_mick's Avatar
slick_mick slick_mick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Well, I cannot agree, their shoulder titles were made here, in Great Britain, along with the Queensland Mounted Infantry, if that badge had been made in pairs to be worn upon shoulder straps, you would certainly expect them to be far more common than they actually are, given the relative scarcity of their shoulder titles.
I'm of the opinion that it is a shoulder title unofficially made in South Africa. It's of a similar size to other unofficially made shoulder titles I have seen. Quite a few Australian units that served in the Boer War had unofficial insignia made in South Africa during their deployment.

Mick
__________________
Looking for Australian military books?

Regimental Books - Australian Unit History specialists

Chasing militaria? I recommend:

Militaria Online - Australian Militaria Sales
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.