British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-06-18, 11:01 PM

Sorry Blackpowder, I hadn't got many replies and thought the thread was all but dead. I've not logged back on for a while, but I certainly appreciate your response, and pics. Sorry for the overdue message of thanks!
Old 29-06-18, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Do realise that altering an original blouse will have its historical (and monetary) value diminished.

Rgds, Thomas
The history of the individual is known, however the value of said blouse is already much diminished in that all badges except the epaulette loops have been harvested. As a display object right now it is a bit sad. I'm not sure how its historical value will be further diminished, but I am interested open to a discussion on the subject.
Old 30-06-18, 12:12 AM

a cursory trawl of the internet reveals a reference to a Captain Hunter 7th. Battalion, Parachute Regiment. If this is the blouse in question then I am quite taken with the euphemism of " harvested ". The deed has been done, accept the item for what it is.
Old 30-06-18, 01:49 AM

"Harvested" is indeed a euphemism; one that I would not use if I knew whether they were removed as souvenirs by the family (perfectly understandable IMO) or the less palatable removal by a collector for sale individually.

I think I understand your preference for a non-restored item, and I am examining my own reasons. My goal is a display item that conveys some of the history of the item, and a stripped battledress does not achieve that. I believe that a restoration will satisfy the basic ethics of historic artefact conservation/restoration, namely that:

1) Appropriate materials are used
2) The restoration is fully reversible
3) The restoration process is fully documented

I appreciate people's thoughts.
Old 30-06-18, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
regarding the images posted of 7th Battalion , Parachute Regiment, there is cause for concern. medal ribbons are present which would indicate post May 1945 wear. although never say never, the presence of the AIRBORNE strip is problematical in view of the fact that an issuance order was instigated in December 1944 ? ceasing its wear. notwithstanding that, the Pegasus and Airborne strip appear to be non-OEM.
Here is an example of the AIRBORNE strip being worn until the end of the war. This was Kerr's 'best dress' tunic. You can read about Kerr at the link provided below.

Cheers

http://1stcanparamuseum.com/soldiers...e-ralph-r-kerr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kerr 2.jpg (34.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 30-06-18, 06:26 PM

Fantastic. Most of the surviving battledress will have been their "best" blouses, which I suspect means more Airborne strips survive on them than on theatre used blouses. In my collection I have only one with surviving Airborne strips, and it appears the garment was tucked away on the death of the soldier prior to December 1944, when the strip was officially to be removed. I have a further half dozen blouses that made it to the war's end where there is remnant stitching from a removed strip.
Old 30-06-18, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
Here is an example of the AIRBORNE strip being worn until the end of the war. This was Kerr's 'best dress' tunic. You can read about Kerr at the link provided below.

Cheers

http://1stcanparamuseum.com/soldiers...e-ralph-r-kerr
In the photo with his wife he seems to be wearing just the Airborne pegasus on his right sleeve, is this correct?

Rgds, Thomas
Old 30-06-18, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
In the photo with his wife he seems to be wearing just the Airborne pegasus on his right sleeve, is this correct?

Rgds, Thomas

It appears as such.
Old 30-06-18, 11:10 PM

The BD in the museum appears to be missing all the patches on the right sleeve. Maybe the pic with his wife is the same blouse.
Old 01-07-18, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
The BD in the museum appears to be missing all the patches on the right sleeve. Maybe the pic with his wife is the same blouse.

No the tunic is in my collection and has both AIRBORNE strips in place. Veteran acquired in the early 1990s untouched as received.
Old 01-07-18, 02:22 PM

I looked at all of my references and this appears to be the combination used by the 7 PARA in Normandy. This is of course a made-up example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-07-01_10-19-35.jpg (66.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-07-18, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Brooks View Post
I looked at all of my references and this appears to be the combination used by the 7 PARA in Normandy. This is of course a made-up example.
Great. Thanks William!
Old 03-07-18, 09:03 PM

Cw, just not quite visible in the pic then. Nice BD, I'd love one like that in my collection.

Last edited by Burton; 03-07-18 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-07-18, 07:44 AM

I'm confused, how can it be in a collection if it resides in a museum, or is the museum simply an online exhibition of individual private collections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
No the tunic is in my collection and has both AIRBORNE strips in place. Veteran acquired in the early 1990s untouched as received.
Old 04-07-18, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I'm confused, how can it be in a collection if it resides in a museum, or is the museum simply an online exhibition of individual private collections?

Valid question Frank. The site is an on-line virtual museum, which is a personal project I have been working on for a while now and continue to do so. A large portion of the artifacts shown are in my personal collection.

http://1stcanparamuseum.com/about

http://1stcanparamuseum.com/soldiers