British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-09-22, 06:20 AM

Default Kings Crown & Cypher

RIP your majesty; our nation’s rock for so many years.
The Queen is dead; God save the King!

These are interesting times for British and Commonwealth badges; a wholesale change in design and issue. CIIIR will replace EIIR, although I have heard Charles’s regal name could have been George.

Do we assume that the crown revert to the previous George VI one?
Old 09-09-22, 09:50 AM

It has been reported in the media that His Majesty King Charles the Third wishes to revert to the "Tudor Crown".

Marc
Old 09-09-22, 09:54 AM

The type of Crown to be worn will be a decision for the King as indeed will the configuration of his cipher. For previous monarchs this has been communicated to uniformed organisations via a Home Office Circular or similar.

I suppose that for reasons of economy, he may decide not to change the Crown. I don't think it's a hard and fast rule, but may be wrong.

Dave.
Old 09-09-22, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
It has been reported in the media that His Majesty King Charles the Third wishes to revert to the "Tudor Crown".

Marc
Marc,

That’s interesting. Are you able to say which media source this came from?

Regards,

JT
Old 09-09-22, 12:03 PM

Here’s an article from today’s paper, about this subect. The letters are most entertaining.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...nge-following/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D2696C2D-4BE0-47F3-AE3E-698D08D80083.jpg (54.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-09-22, 12:12 PM

It was first reported in the Telegraph in February :

Quote:
According to the Telegraph, the Tudor Crown could become a feature on the monarch’s design.
But today it simply states :
Quote:
While English queens use the St Edward's crown, or a variant of it, kings traditionally use the more rounded Tudor crown.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 09-09-22, 02:07 PM

I do rember reading somewhere a few years back that they didn't know which crown the queen would have until quite literally a month before the coronation and her crown had to be altered for her within that remaining time, I've seen quite a few souvenirs with the wrong crown so not slurping really.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20220909_095329.jpg (76.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 09-09-22, 02:27 PM

I don't think it really matters. It will be interesting to see how many organisations bother to change. For example, the State Dress worn by the Yeoman Warders at the Tower still, and always, had on it the Tudor Crown.

The police in Guernsey have since 1920, worn the Tudor Crown on their helmet plates. A great many members of the Hertfordshire Constabulary still wear a QVC cap badge.

Much of the horse furniture used by the Royal Household still bears the Tudor Crown.

So, whilst the cipher may change the Crown may not. At the end of the day were are talking about millions of pounds of expenditure to effect such changes and I think it will be many years before EIIR and the St. Edwards Crown disappear, if ever.

Of course, there will be many Commanding Officer's in military circles who will demand change immediately. That said, I suspect that the Government will expect restraint at such a time of economic depression. After all, there are many more important things to spend money on.

Dave.
Old 09-09-22, 02:43 PM

Re Post 6 - King George iV (1820-1830) was depicted by the Saint Edwards Crown.

There are only two main crowns to the British Monarchy - The Saint Edwards Crown which is only used at the Coronation, and the Imperial State Crown worn at the State Opening of Parliament.

Both are used by ALL Monarces Male or Female so it would not be out of order for King Charles III to use either.

It should also be noted that the Imperial State Crown looks nothing like the 'Tudor Crown' which is supposed to be the same crown!

It should also be noted that Queen Elizabeth II is depicted wearing the Imperial State Crown on several medals including the GSM & ACSM

I know of several Post Boxes that still bear the QVC Cypher as will many with the EIIR for many years to come.

Regiments that use the EIIR Cypher will change in due course, but we will have to wait and see re the crown.

God Bless Queen Elizabeth, and Long Live the King.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSM.jpg (41.6 KB, 46 views)

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 09-09-22 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Amendments
Old 09-09-22, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

In Canada, it was made policy that the government (including the military) would use the St Edward's crown, as it is the coronation crown and hence represents the monarchy and not a particular monarch. It remains to be seen if this policy will be adhered to.
Old 09-09-22, 03:01 PM

A sound policy that should be followed

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 09-09-22, 03:17 PM

I recall reading that it caused something of a drama in Korea since all British and Commonwealth army personnel wore a formation sign which had to be changed on the death of King George VI on 6 Feb 52. The signs concerned were those of British Commonwealth Forces, Korea and First Commonwealth Division - both of which featured what was described as the Imperial Crown (aka KC).
Old 10-09-22, 07:56 AM

I suppose on of the first bits of military uniform to change will be an issue of a coronation medal. If the precedent of the last 3 Jubilee medals is followed that would be a broader issue than the previous coronation medal and presumably the head will face the opposite way to the late Queen’s (I.e. left facing as you look at them).
Old 11-09-22, 08:59 AM

Some more chat on another thread regarding cypher:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=90882
Old 11-09-22, 09:35 AM

Default Kings crown RE

??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20220910-WA0000.jpg (93.6 KB, 80 views)

Tags
cypher, king's crown