British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-04-20, 05:24 AM

Default Medal entitlement for Rev HD Burton NZEF

A medal rather than badge query but hoping a member can help...

I am researching members of my regiment and I have one who subsequently moved to Aus and then New Zealand - the Reverend Henry Darwin Burton who was honorary chaplain to my lot while in the UK.

I know he served in South Africa 1900 and I have tracked down his records and medals for that.

He moved to Christchurch and later became Chaplain to the hospital ship Marama and was Principal Chaplain to the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the rank of Chaplain Class 2 (Lieutenant Colonel).

I know that he was awarded the OBE for his services to the military and mentioned to the Secretary of State for War's notice twice, but I am assuming he may have qualified for some NZ service and / or campaign medals too?

I think the answer will be in the document New Zealand Army Medal Rolls, 1860-1919 but this looks to be in Libraries and I don't have a way to view it online.

If anyone can help fill in the gaps that would be awesome. Thank you!

Michael
Old 10-04-20, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Yeoman View Post
A medal rather than badge query but hoping a member can help...

I am researching members of my regiment and I have one who subsequently moved to Aus and then New Zealand - the Reverend Henry Darwin Burton who was honorary chaplain to my lot while in the UK.

I know he served in South Africa 1900 and I have tracked down his records and medals for that.

He moved to Christchurch and later became Chaplain to the hospital ship Marama and was Principal Chaplain to the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the rank of Chaplain Class 2 (Lieutenant Colonel).

I know that he was awarded the OBE for his services to the military and mentioned to the Secretary of State for War's notice twice, but I am assuming he may have qualified for some NZ service and / or campaign medals too?

I think the answer will be in the document New Zealand Army Medal Rolls, 1860-1919 but this looks to be in Libraries and I don't have a way to view it online.

If anyone can help fill in the gaps that would be awesome. Thank you!

Michael
He has file at New Zealand Archives, Archway search engine, Harry Darwin Burton 18/20 . File digitized and online.

Cheers Iain
Old 10-04-20, 09:45 AM

Ian, thank you very much, that is awesome.

Trust him to go by Harry not Henry! Anyway, I now have the full story for him (and it's quite a colourful one too :-)

Really appreciate your help to solve this one, thank you.

Michael