British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-20, 08:07 AM

Default XI S.A.I badge

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so for my first post I'd like to pick your expert minds.

The attached pics are of a badge I inherited and I would like to know more about it. It's tiny, the 'XI S.A.I' badge measuring 1x1cm with the pin(?) adding another 1.5cm.

I had originally assumed that the 'XI' was for the XI (North Auckland) Squadron of the NZMR, in which my great-grandfather served, however I showed this pic to a guy who knows something about NZ badges etc. and he doesn't feel it is a NZ item. He suggested that it may be a "patriotic/sweetheart badge" and that S.A.I might stand for South African Infantry. I did a quick search for XI South African Infantry but the only result was for a unit that was active from the 1970s to the 90s. He also suggested that I join this forum and ask your advice

Regards,

HB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200128_122111 sml.jpg (55.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200128_174920 sml.jpg (58.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 28-01-20, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hello HB, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 28-01-20, 12:45 PM

This certainly looks more like an item to be worn on civvies than one to be worn on uniform.

South African unit numbers are normally in Arabic numerals rather than Roman. AFAIK, the only SA infantry units numbered 11 were (a) the 11th SA Infantry Regiment which existed from 1915 to 1919, and (b) a unit which was numbered as 11 SA Infantry Battalion in the 1990s.

XI South Australian Infantry might also be a possibility. Was there such a unit?

Arthur
Old 28-01-20, 01:30 PM

Hi, more likely sweetheart as suggested given that it appears to be gold going by the colour, then confirmed by the 9 on the rear. The style of that stamp and the rose gold would suggest late 19th or early 20th Century for a date.
Regards Gary
Old 28-01-20, 01:54 PM

Looking at the photographs, I would certainly think an 11th South African Infantry sweetheart, circa 1916-1918, very nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBPencil View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so for my first post I'd like to pick your expert minds.

The attached pics are of a badge I inherited and I would like to know more about it. It's tiny, the 'XI S.A.I' badge measuring 1x1cm with the pin(?) adding another 1.5cm.

I had originally assumed that the 'XI' was for the XI (North Auckland) Squadron of the NZMR, in which my great-grandfather served, however I showed this pic to a guy who knows something about NZ badges etc. and he doesn't feel it is a NZ item. He suggested that it may be a "patriotic/sweetheart badge" and that S.A.I might stand for South African Infantry. I did a quick search for XI South African Infantry but the only result was for a unit that was active from the 1970s to the 90s. He also suggested that I join this forum and ask your advice

Regards,

HB
Old 28-01-20, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
This certainly looks more like an item to be worn on civvies than one to be worn on uniform.

South African unit numbers are normally in Arabic numerals rather than Roman. AFAIK, the only SA infantry units numbered 11 were (a) the 11th SA Infantry Regiment which existed from 1915 to 1919, and (b) a unit which was numbered as 11 SA Infantry Battalion in the 1990s.

XI South Australian Infantry might also be a possibility. Was there such a unit?
Hi Arthur
No, South African units did not usually have Arabic numerals. The battalions of the King's African Rifles had Arabic numerals but they were East African, from the more Muslim states such as what is now Tanzania.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 28-01-20, 07:04 PM

I certainly will not put my hand up to be an expert on South African badges, but it was me that made the suggestion that it was possibly a South African /WW1 patriotic/sweetheart badge. I did look into the possibility that it was South Australian, but that is the XI South Australian Light Horse .

Cheers Iain D.
Old 28-01-20, 08:46 PM

Hi all, thanks for your replies. While reading them I remembered a photo in a family album which shows a medic (my great-grandmother's brother I believe) which I suspect was taken somewhere in Africa during WWI, so maybe he was the originator of the badge.

If I may ask, what does a "sweetheart" badge mean? Would I be right in thinking it's something a serviceman would get made for his wife/girlfriend (or a family member?) to wear?

Cheers
Old 28-01-20, 11:29 PM

My sweetheart collection is New Zealand WW1.They were originally advertised as Patriotic badges, but the general term for them these days is sweetheart badges.

The badges made from silver, gold, or combination and sometimes had precious or semi precious gems . They were bought by soldiers to give to their loved ones back home , primarily wives, girlfriends , sisters , mothers etc or brothers or fathers were given tie pins . They had no official military use , but represented some of the units that the men were in.
It generally depended on the budget of the soldier on what they bought as gifts. Some of the more thrifty had their brass badges converted into a broach .

I am sure soldiers in other countries had sweetheart/patriotic badges as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sweethearts 20190813_151523 (2).jpg (96.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 29-01-20, 07:01 AM

Cool, thanks for the clarification.
Today I remembered that there's a photo of a serviceman in a family album which I suspect was taken in Africa sometime in the early 20th century, so I'll dig it out and see if there's any identifiable patches/badges visible. It'd be nice if I find some evidence to nail down the origin of this badge.

HB
Old 29-01-20, 09:23 AM

The Eleventh SAI was part of the Union contribution for the East African Expeditionary Force for service in German East Africa and Nyasaland, they did very well at Kondoa Irangi and there were certainly many acts of gallantry that went unrewarded.
Despite wretched Von Lettow and his askari's best attempts, I would suggest that the real enemy was disease, so the need for medical services was critical.
A sweetheart was normally a little brooch with a badge or crest to represent a particular unit in which a husband, brother or son was serving with.
Looking at your brooch, I would think it had been made by a jeweller in the Union, perhaps on the Rand by List Brothers or similar, it is certainly a lovely thing, even though the pin is broken, I'd be very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBPencil View Post
Hi all, thanks for your replies. While reading them I remembered a photo in a family album which shows a medic (my great-grandmother's brother I believe) which I suspect was taken somewhere in Africa during WWI, so maybe he was the originator of the badge.

If I may ask, what does a "sweetheart" badge mean? Would I be right in thinking it's something a serviceman would get made for his wife/girlfriend (or a family member?) to wear?

Cheers
Old 29-01-20, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
No, South African units did not usually have Arabic numerals. The battalions of the King's African Rifles had Arabic numerals but they were East African, from the more Muslim states such as what is now Tanzania.
By "Arabic numerals" I meant the numerals 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, as we write them, as distinct from the Roman numerals which are combinations of letters : I II III IV etc.

Arthur
Old 29-01-20, 09:35 AM

The SAI regiments in the third brigade under Brigadier General Berrange, including the eleventh, certainly did wear both metal and cloth Roman numerals in the form of badges and titles upon their uniforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
By "Arabic numerals" I meant the numerals 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, as we write them, as distinct from the Roman numerals which are combinations of letters : I II III IV etc.
Old 30-01-20, 09:15 AM

Hi, It is definitely WW1 11th South African Infantry. I have similar design titles in my collection. 10, 11 and 12 SAI tended to use Roman numerals and the rest normal numbers. Regards Andrew
Old 30-01-20, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi, It is definitely WW1 11th South African Infantry. I have similar design titles in my collection. 10, 11 and 12 SAI tended to use Roman numerals and the rest normal numbers.
Thanks, that's very interesting. One certainly learns something new every day on this forum.

Arthur