British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-12, 01:23 PM

Default REME quandary

Was there ever such a thing as a 1st pattern cap badge sized REME collar badge? Or are these top two cap badges? All REME OR badges I've seen so far are slidered, and most contemporary officers badges seem to be bladed. For comparison below left a bladed OSD and right the usual OR slidered badge.
Any thoughts?

Rgds,

Thomas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4x REME obverse.jpg (79.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 4x REME reverse.jpg (72.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2x REME reverse angle.jpg (43.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-04-12, 06:13 PM

Thomas. To my knowledge all REME collars were of the small variety, both 1st and 2nd patterns. I have bronze officer and GM OR's collars all lugged E-W and one WM collar lugged N-S (officers)? I also have not seen a 1st pattern cap badge that has been lugged, so is your lugged badge GM or WM. The WM badges are something of a grey area, and if made for service with RAC units may have been lugged. Don't know. I'm green with envy for your gilded officers badge. Been after one of those for years.
Old 01-04-12, 08:13 PM

Thanks for your reply John. The lugged badge is G/M. Since I now know this is not a collar badge, my theory is that it is a late or post War lugged badge for wear on the beret. I have an uncommon RASC GviR OR's G/M cap badge with lugs which is described as such.
The only info I can find on W/M REME badges is that they were unauthorised but worn on the coloured field service cap, as were collar badges. Plated badges are described as either for the coloured field service cap as well, or as "chromed after the war by soldiers who wanted to be a little different to others, illegal but true." The only armoured specific badge info I managed to find was a gold embroidered badge worn on the black beret by REME officers in the Guards Armoured Division.
The gilt badge was a recent lucky Ebay find from Uruguay, wrongly described and very cheap including postage!

Regards,

Thomas.
Old 02-04-12, 06:02 AM

Default All sizes

have just done a quick check on my 1st Pattern GM and have found one that is 44 x 23mm cast , lugged EW that is larger than the standard collar but smaller than the standard cap. It would appear that there was a thriving business in workshops producing variations .