British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-08-10, 01:56 PM

Default REME All Brass Cap Badge

Last year at my Old Boys Reunion, a friend said he had an ALL BRASS REME cap badge. "No such thing," says I. This year he brought it for me to see. The story goes that many years ago a medal dealer friend asked him if there was anything he needed. "I would like a brass REME cap badge with QC," says he, meaning the normal bi-metal one.
Some months went by and the dealer turns up with a man who used to work at Gaunt (not sure where), who said that he had looked everywhere for a 'brass' badge and eventually tracked this one down in the 'scrap' bin.
Two piece construction, the horse and globe being secured to the lightening by two small wires, bent over. Lugs for fixings, and there is some evidence of polishing to the front. Any thoughts? A trial badge maybe or someone deliberately trying to fox us all? Pic 4 is the bi-metal version for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0674.jpg (80.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0676.jpg (97.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0678.jpg (69.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0394.jpg (70.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 02-08-10, 02:28 PM
Former Member

Just looks dirty on my screen! Perhaps with a clean it might reveal a Whitmetal horse?

Andy
Old 02-08-10, 02:36 PM

Andy
No, definately brass. Also the badge is fractionally smaller than in pic 4 being 45 x 30mm, whereas pic 4 is 47 x 32mm. Note also size of crown is smaller and horse's tail does not cover the lightening.

Last edited by jeep; 02-08-10 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 02:43 PM
Former Member

John,
I cannot enlarge on the works computer (I'm on a coffee break, so not time wasting!! HONEST), so I'll have a closer look later on my own machine! But to me it looks like an officers badge, by the construction i.e. pinned horse and lug fittings and the horse could be discoloured silver? As I said, I will blow it up later!

Andy
Old 02-08-10, 03:12 PM
LYPAO Boff

Does this help Gents I can also overlay the brass over the Bimetal if you like.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-08-10, 03:17 PM

Quote:
But to me it looks like an officers badge, by the construction i.e. pinned horse and lug fittings and the horse could be discoloured silver?
Andy
I had thought about it being officers, but it is definately ALL brass. For comparison I attach pics of the silver and gilt badge I wore marked Gaunt London, and which has the same dimensions as the bi-metal OR's badge. (Note the tail covers the lightening).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0680.jpg (83.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0679.jpg (80.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-08-10, 03:20 PM

Cool REME

Could this be an OSD that has not had it's bronze finish.
Old 02-08-10, 03:23 PM
LYPAO Boff

Updated

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-08-10, 03:53 PM

Fantastic job GriffMJ. Now that they are all side-by-side, the all brass and silver and gilt to my eye look as if they have come out of the same tooling. Horses collar and globe look to be the same. I'm going to stick my neck out and guess that this was test or proofing piece.
Quote:
Could this be an OSD that has not had it's bronze finish.
Sonofacqms
Was there ever a REME bronze OSD badge? I can't ever remember seeing one. All I ever remember is silver and gilt.
Old 02-08-10, 04:35 PM

Smile REME OSD

Well according to K&K the badge was never in bronze OSD, this one came from the "scrap bin" which probably means it was made in error or maybe a trial order that was cancelled.
Old 02-08-10, 04:49 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

After reading Rob's remark about K&K stating there wasn't an OSD in this version, I would add a ' rider ' that had there been, surely blades would have been fitted, all the other OSD Corps badges, I've seen had them ??

Dave.
Old 02-08-10, 05:05 PM

Smile REME OSD

Good point Dave, most OSD's have blades, with this badge who knows . . !
Old 02-08-10, 09:57 PM
Former Member

Having blown the image up I would be more inclined to say it came out of the *crap bin rather than the scrap bin. The crown is awful and I think it is nothing more than a fake!

Andy
Old 08-04-12, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post
Last year at my Old Boys Reunion, a friend said he had an ALL BRASS REME cap badge. "No such thing," says I. This year he brought it for me to see. The story goes that many years ago a medal dealer friend asked him if there was anything he needed. "I would like a brass REME cap badge with QC," says he, meaning the normal bi-metal one.
Some months went by and the dealer turns up with a man who used to work at Gaunt (not sure where), who said that he had looked everywhere for a 'brass' badge and eventually tracked this one down in the 'scrap' bin.
Two piece construction, the horse and globe being secured to the lightening by two small wires, bent over. Lugs for fixings, and there is some evidence of polishing to the front. Any thoughts? A trial badge maybe or someone deliberately trying to fox us all? Pic 4 is the bi-metal version for comparison.
Just browsing the site looking for REME threads and came across this on , I have a very similar oddity but with KC. Unfortunately the CHOOSE FILE function doesn't seem to be working at the moment.