British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-12, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Hello FBK, Thank you for the notes on my badges. Just to clarify about the long slidered one, hard to tell from the pic, but it is only voided in the crown and the whole badge, (as can be seen in the scan of the rear) is brass which seems to have been sprayed brown long before I got it. I suppose at some time in the not too distant future, I'll be moving them on a trading site though if the membership on this forum keeps growing at the rate it is, There will be more interested buyers on this site! Thank you again for your response. Best regards, David J.
David, It seems i've not looked at the images hard enough, (could you post an image of this badge seperately) it is quite rightly a "Pagri" badge to the RASC, and rightly has voids in the KC. I have a few of my badges, which I've not shown, that have been spray painted brown as well, from this same period GviR. I thought they may have been painted to make them look like OSD badges.

The RASC "Pagri" badge should be a light brown (Coffee) colour, I've seen images of three of these type of badges, all identical.

It dates from the end of the Great War to the beginning of the 2nd World War, I've not seen any images of the badge being actually worn in the Pagri though, and is a very sought after item.
Well done

cheers Ken
Old 10-02-12, 02:33 PM

Tony !! So sorry for highjacking your thread mate Ken
Old 12-02-12, 12:48 AM

Default RASC Pagri badge

Here you are Ken, a scan with the size. Regards, David J.......BTW, What was the year and make of your Humpity Bumpity Truck?....Mine was a '54 Bedford 3 Ton RL, We used them as our Bofors 40/70 Gun Tractors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RASC pagri.jpg (26.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg RASC pagri rear.jpg (18.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-02-12, 06:27 AM

Ken some excellent posts great stuff!
Tony.
Old 12-02-12, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
It dates from the end of the Great War to the beginning of the 2nd World War, I've not seen any images of the badge being actually worn in the Pagri though, and is a very sought after item.
Well done
With the Correct raised GviR Cypher it should date between 1937 and 1947. Have you ever seen long slidered unvoided pagri badges with other Cyphers?

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 12-02-12, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
With the Correct raised GviR Cypher it should date between 1937 and 1947. Have you ever seen long slidered unvoided pagri badges with other Cyphers?

Rgds,

Thomas.
Hiya Thomas, Tony and David
It is so very strange, that it's not until I've come onto this forum that all the times I could have collected items whilst in the army, and never did, and how things back then, were seemingly irrelevant to us, are now actually history, as I'm one of a few who actually saw and handled such a badge, Charlie was the one who told me about his cap badge

Yes Thomas, I've seen and held a "Long Slidered" RCT QC cap badge in 1988, this belonged to a Sihk Cpl named Charlie Bansall, it had a long slider, and he was told when it was issued, it is an extremely "RARE" cap badge, do not lose or sell it, as rare i'd imagine as the KC AA RASC Cap Badge
(whether it was made specially, I'm not aware, as I stupidly never asked him)

I've not seen any images of the "Pagri" badges unvoided though David, sorry i'm unable to help you there, maybe one of the other members has ??

Charlie was 6'12" and built like a Brick, .......... (Building) and was a great bloke, you can rest assured, he never lost it and NEVER !! sold it.

Yes Tony, it's a very interesting thread, bringing back long forgotten memories of my army days.

And as for you David, Yes, ........ I remember the good ole Bedford RL, Antars Mk1 & 2, Can-Ams (M/C's) Bedford MK's and the most memorable of all, the work horses of the Corps, the AEC 6x6 MK1 & 2 Militants (10 Tonners) The MK1 was nicknamed "The Knocker",(Pictured) and the MK2 "The Milly".

I'll put up a couple of images of them if you'd like ?

Our Regiment 10 Corps Tpt Regt RCT would empty out an Ammo Dump in 2-3 days complete, that included, the moving of all the Anti-tank mines to the E/W border for the engineers to place in the ground, the ground dumping of all the ammo of 1st British Corps in BAOR, in hides, then the outloading of Ammo trains from the west. We sadly never belonged to any formations within BAOR, and would work with all, who needed our help.
They kept the British Army supplied during Desert Storm, and never failed to be there at the grid-references supplied with ammunition for the Arty, Tankies & Infantry.
Good times FBK