British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-09-12, 04:18 PM

Default SADF beret balkies

Hi,
I am looking for info on when the SADF adopted the corps beret balkies (colour flash). Does someone out there have an official document showing adoption dates?

I am aware that certain corps (Signals etc) did use cloth colour flashes on the beret from as early as WWII. I have also seen pictures c.1971 showing infantry wearing 1st pattern balkie (green/black), but when were the 3 colour version adopted?

Thanks in advance
Steven
Old 13-09-12, 04:52 PM

Last edited by iaindh; 15-09-12 at 01:08 AM.
Old 13-09-12, 05:22 PM

Wasn't the present system of enameled metal balkies introduced at the same time as the enameled metal shoulder flashes, and the 'stepout' uniform, circa 1974-75?

Arthur
Old 13-09-12, 05:51 PM

Arthur,
You may be onto something there. Maybe the 3 colour epoxy coated balkies were issued at same time as new step out uniforms and epoxied metal flashes.

Some earlier balkies were hot (or maybe cold) enamelled onto a metal backing plate. Still would like to see official documentation. I have a copy of the sadf quartermasters badge reference book (c.1986) but unfortunately does not show balkies or flashes.

Steven
Old 13-09-12, 07:06 PM

Have the 1st issue QMs Catalogue for Badges and Insignia in the SADF which is dated June 1970. It also does not have the beret bars in it. As an aside, however, it does have a complete list of all cloth embroidered shoulder titles as worn at the time!

Have attached a WW2 1944 dated beret to a signaller attached to the 6th SA Armoured Div that has the WW2 pattern bar on it as well as a few other pattern Sigs bars for interest.

Dudley
Old 14-09-12, 09:43 AM

Failing a copy of the dress regulations, one approach would be to browse through back numbers of Commando/Paratus magazine from the early 1970s, and look at the photos or people wearing berets. Although it wouldn't yield a specific date (unless there happened to be an article on the subject), it would at least reveal the year in which they first appeared. I recall that one issue in 1974(?) covered the new stepout uniform, and had a photo of a soldier in the new uniform on the cover. That might be a useful place to start.

Arthur
Old 14-09-12, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the pics Dudley,
Are you able to scan and forward the 1970 QM lists for me? I would be very keen to compare to the 1986 I have.

Arthur, Yes going through old copies may give some indication but who has all those back issues? If I had access to a complete set I would happily browse through them

Steven
Old 14-09-12, 11:39 AM

Just as an addition to this thread, I do have a SAMC khaki beret c.1944 Italian theatre with a narrow ruby cloth bar/balkie below the SAMC badge.

Steven
Old 14-09-12, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Arthur, Yes going through old copies may give some indication but who has all those back issues? If I had access to a complete set I would happily browse through them
If the National Libraries in Pretoria or Cape Town or the Msunduzi Public Library in Pietermaritzburg are accessible, they have sets, according to the online catalogue.

Arthur
Old 14-09-12, 06:07 PM

Hi, the infantry 3 colour bar was approved in 1967 and the TSC in 1968. I don't know when they were put into use. Regards Andrew
Old 15-09-12, 04:53 PM

Hullo Steven

Herewith the cover and the index of the 1970 catalogue. The book is over 100 pages and will take a while to scan. Once that is complete I shall convert it to a PDF document so that it can be emailed to those that want a copy.

Dudley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Cover Catelogue Badges 1970.jpg (51.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Index 1.jpg (69.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Index 2.jpg (68.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 16-09-12, 06:35 AM

Hi Dudley, I would appreciate a copy when you get there. Thank you. Regards Andrew
Old 16-09-12, 11:03 AM

Hi Dudley,
Thanks very much, I cannot wait. I have already scanned the 1986 copy, so will compile into a pdf document and make available somehow. emailing may be restrictive as file would be fairly large. There are 210 pages to this document.

Steven
Old 19-09-12, 10:50 AM

Gents

I have scanned the 1970 SADF Badge Catalogue and it is also quite a hefty PDF file at over 46000kb. The alternatives are to break it into smaller PDF docs or to email individual pages in batches to post each page as a JPG file at an average of 300kb per page.

If you would like a copy and the methodology please let me know by way of your email address in a PM and I will send them to you.

Kind regards

Dudley
Old 19-09-12, 01:56 PM

Hi Dudley,
That is great and yes very large. My 210 pages also average 300k I put into a zip file but even then it came out to 43meg.

My browser can probably only handle 3-4 meg at a time (ie 10 pages) so maybe send them to me in 10 separate emails.

The 1986 copy I have scanned is also available but as I said above it zips into 43meg. Maybe someone has a website we could upload and then download from again.

Regards
Steven