British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-08, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default Clutch Pin Fasteners

I have associated clutch pin fasteners with the post unification Canadian Forces badges. Eg, badges made since the early 1970's. Were clutch pins fasteners used before this time? Or was this only associated with post unification badges?

Should we have a reference string on fasteners? They are one of the best clues as to authenticity and dating that the collector has.
Old 03-02-08, 04:08 PM

Interesting question and suggestion Bill. I too have always associated the clutch pin fastener with post unification badges and insignia. I have searched the Scully site without result.

As to the suggestion of having a reference thread on this subject, I for one think it might be a good idea. Speaking for Canadian Badges only, we know, there are a few different styles of lugs, broach pins (thinking Nursing sisters), screw posts, sliders, clutch pins..... plus whatever I have forgotten. The dates for these all elude me, however if I were to see a clutch pin on a Kings crown collar badge, I would worry. NOW lets look at the fact that in a few years we will return to a king's Crown badge configuration. Will this pose a concern???

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 14-05-08, 07:26 PM

Do not be surprised if you do see clutch pin fasteners on k/c collar badges. The Royal Westminster Regiment and Royal Regina Rifles wear CEF pattern collar badges with clutch pins.
Old 14-05-08, 09:43 PM

Phillip, do you have any further references, in regards to these collars with kings crown and clutch pin backing?? Are you refering to something in the works currently as the Queen's reign is reaching its final stages?

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 14-05-08, 10:41 PM
Banned

I have never seen a genuine badge post QC with clutch fasteners . Some reserve units commemerate past affiliations of CEF units with badges using these and they do get caught up in the market from time to time especially those Regina rifle silvered 28th badges some with lugs. Also swethearts from the Korea conflict show up with pins and clutch backs frequently and they are KC . The PPCLI kit shop commissioned a Marguiritte hat badge from Birks several years ago from original dies and it was on pin and clutch back also unmarked the same withthe piper badge which was numbered so beware.
Old 14-05-08, 11:23 PM

I've posted a Sherbrooke Fusiliers Officers Badge made by Jostens with clutch pin collars and date it to the mid-1950s. The badge has a Kings Crown and there is a Queens crown version currently being worn. Perhaps the clutch pins in this case are a US manufacture fashion?

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sherb1-1.jpg (55.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg sherb2-1.jpg (60.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg sherb3-1.jpg (49.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by GregN; 14-05-08 at 11:39 PM.
Old 14-05-08, 11:32 PM
Banned

I would think they are Canadian made by one of the Government contractors.
Pretty much all of the current insignia is all pin back made in Quebec I think
Old 15-05-08, 02:07 AM

Default Clutch Pin

Well for a moment I was thinking that I had lost my mind!!! Clutch Pin - - Just what the heck is a clutch pin? Then I saw Greg's posting (nice images!). So now I have to go and edit my database to include "Clutch-Pin" as a fastener. Up to now I have just called that style "post" with "screw-post" as another type.

Larry
Old 15-05-08, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Greg, Interesting maker on that collar. Jostens is associated with the making of high school, college, university year books and jewellery / trophies. They have a Canadian branch, but are an American company. What makes you think that the collars date to the 1950's?

Last edited by Bill A; 15-05-08 at 01:10 PM. Reason: sp
Old 15-05-08, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
I've posted a Sherbrooke Fusiliers Officers Badge made by Jostens with clutch pin collars and date it to the mid-1950s. The badge has a Kings Crown and there is a Queens crown version currently being worn. Perhaps the clutch pins in this case are a US manufacture fashion?

Greg

If I understood right... the Fusiliers de Sherbrooke still wear KC officers badges (like the one shown) That's the badge they "sell" to officers... I've asked about the crown... the answer I got... well... it sounded like economy... them being a reserve force now.

My friend would have got me one... exept he left the reserve a week before the event....
Old 15-05-08, 03:34 PM

Hi Bill, the collars could be used for either a Kings crown badge or for the current version. My supposition that the collars are from the earlier time is that they came with the Josten's Kings Crown capbadge, exhibit similar wear and are also made by Jostens. I don't think the collar design changes with the change in crowns on the badge so the collars could be worn after the change in crown. I've just never seen another set so I can't compare them to the current issue.

Greg

Last edited by GregN; 22-05-09 at 03:22 AM.
Old 19-12-20, 10:25 AM

Have 'resurrected' this very old thread to add a link I found , it may be useful if the search function is used to find details about 'clutch pins'.

Dating Metallic Insignia: Clutch Fasteners

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 19-12-20, 04:50 PM

Mike, That site was most informative! That just might set the ball rolling for descriptions to be more definitive when mentioning “fasteners” on insignia. I know I for one will probably be using one of the two most common types from here on in. As per eg. “Phinney” type clutch fastener or “Ballou” type clutch fastener. Personally, I’ve generally found the Phinney type to be more efficient. Thanks for that post. Best regards, David J.