British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-06-15, 02:55 PM

Default Where there's muck there's …. a cracking badge..!

Greetings Chaps,

I'm sure I was not the only one who remembers the phrase "where there's much there's brass" but as the title to this thread states in this case I'm talking about my latest badge. Okay so the badge in question is nothing super special - just an OR's to the 9th HLI but even before I opened the plastic bubble-wrap I could smell the mustiness of age and dirt. When I felt the badge between my fingers it was somewhat sticky and grimy, I really like untouched badges, those that show their age, so I didn't want to clean it but decided to just run a toothbrush over to get the surface grime and dust off. As I did this a plume of dust emanated from the badge and the air was think with a musty odor.

The badge didn't cost much (a purchase of ebay) and as my dear departed brother was always fond of saying "just a few spondoolies". For me it was a great reminder that a badge need not be rare, top condition or even clean for that mater to get some real joy out of it. I'm as guilty as most at wanting rare and high condition badges but sometimes just an old grubby OR's badge can be a terrific find. It is great to find something so untouched and uncleaned after all these years and besides the handful of wipes with a dry soft toothbrush to get the surface dust off, I shall leave this one alone and continue to enjoy it just as it is.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (81.4 KB, 151 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 16-06-15, 03:37 PM

I'm with you!
Old 17-06-15, 08:06 AM

I bought a Prussian pikelhaube some years ago. crazed leather. loose stitching on the front peak, rotted liner, dull brass metalwork.
When it was delivered I found that the fittings were white metal under a layer of black tarnish & tobacco gunge, & it had unit markings under the dust.
So instead of being a "basic" infantry helmet it's a pionier or railway troops one, a nice surprise.
It sits untouched apart from a dusting & enough of a clean to show dull silver highlights rather gold. It would look false & "plastic" if it was cleaned up.
Old 17-06-15, 01:46 PM

Gosh Leigh,

What a find! You must have been thrilled. It puts my basic find a little in the shade but then again it is all about the fun and surprise of finding these untouched treasures. Well done!

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 22-06-15, 07:38 AM

No, I like the sound of your badge.
Thete are a few badges in my collection that I really like because of the "look" of the metal. the colour. the toning etc.
My latest old & musty purchase is an Irish Vickers M27 helmet.
There was "dirt" inside the plastic bin liner the cardbard box containing the helmet was in, having seeped out of the box. A little worrying to find there was so much before you even open the box.
And the helmet liners cotton covered pads had decayed, spilling their wire like horse hair filling out inside the lid. Not sure if a mouse has been at the leather.
It must've lived in a shed for decades. & that's where I've put it now until it's safe to bring it into the house without vermin crawling out all over my collection of caps & stuff.
There's attractively aged & toned & then again there's health hazard.