British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-01-08, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Original text by Dragonz:

25th Batn. Royal (Frontiersmen) Fusiliers.
Formed ,initially ,from members of the 'Legion of Frontiersmen'. A semi-military organisation, that were virtually trained already. Personal from this organisation were the first in action,with a squadron of Cavalry (Manchester Sqd.) fighting ,in Legion uniform, with the 3rd Belgian Lancers,very early in 1914, before their offer of trained soldiers was finally accepted by the British Government.

1st pattern ,made using a standard, but specific version, Grenadier Guards badge ,inscribed with the Btn's number and a title scroll made & attached by a local garage,according to Regts. history.

1. Front view
2. Back view
3. Angled view of back,showing construction method here.

This is my one - despite the dealers views I now think it may be an old copy.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic056.JPG (74.4 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg Pic467.JPG (74.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Pic468.JPG (77.6 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg P1210007.JPG (27.8 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg P1210005.JPG (27.5 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 18-09-14 at 08:46 AM.
Old 22-01-08, 09:41 AM

Alan,
Pics of my badge here. Different to yours in many respects, so worth showing, I think.
This could be termed as ...2nd Pattern ,type 1. As there are 2 known types, as am sure you are aware. The second type being the similar one, with a 'stalk' or 'bar' lifting the ball off the scroll & flames not connected to upper side scrolls. Shown in K&K and in Westlake's 'Kitchener's Army' book.( I do'nt have this type 2 variation,to show, or the Die Cast [?]Bronzed version of type 1 either, yet ! ) Anyone able to show examples of these here ?
The General shape of the flames , etc on mine looks a little closer to those shown in the origional photos ( for the o/r's pictured in Westlakes, at least, but not the big detail pics. though ?) that I have seen,so far , but there could be a few different manufactures here ,I guess ? See what you think.
Comments ,either good or bad ,accepted gratiously.
Hard to see in these pics ,but the numbers have close set ,fine, horizontal lines struck inside them.Front has had a thin laquer coating.

Cheers !
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic473.JPG (97.3 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Pic474.JPG (89.1 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Pic475.JPG (74.1 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by dragonz18; 22-01-08 at 10:33 AM.
Old 22-01-08, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I prefer yours because it does not have the die flaw on the scroll and has a much better style of slider.

I have seen a cast version of this design with a pin for wear on a pagri. The 25th spent most of their war in SW Africa if I remember correctly. I always presume dthat the stalk version was this cast version as it looks a bit home made.

Alan
Old 22-01-08, 10:27 AM

My pic of the back of a bronzed cast type 1: it has a series of grooves across the back of the scroll, that I have seen on actual items also.

Not really sure where I got these from now, but may have been from Ebay. If so ,my sincerest thanks to those concerned & hope it's OK to post them here, for observation, by genuinely interested collectors.?

Pattern 2 ,type 1.....bronze die cast version. Officers or Senior NCO's here, possibly.?
Well made & have seen others the same, that are claimed as genuine, but cannot be certain of this, myself.
Also not too sure of the reason for the back 'grooves', but may have been to facilitate shaping of the scroll on the headress.?
The general shape/style is the same as the die struck one ,shown above by Alan.

Cheers !
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontsbzfront.jpg (27.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg frontsbzback.jpg (28.0 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 2xfronts.jpg (22.2 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 18-09-14 at 08:47 AM.
Old 13-07-08, 05:39 PM

Thought i would post pictures of my badges which I believe to be genuine ,any comments would be appreciated.
I paid £350 for the first pattern and £150 for the second still trying to find a genuine 3rd pattern
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7130099 (Small).JPG (35.6 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg P7130100 (Small).JPG (20.0 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg P7130101.jpg (38.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg P7130102 (Small).JPG (32.8 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 18-09-14 at 08:48 AM.
Old 14-07-08, 10:38 PM

Smile Imperial Frontiersmen

Having looked at various Frontiersmen badges, a thing that puzzles me is, what happened to the "Imperial Frontiersmen". I have two examples of this cap badge, collars, s/titles and buttons. Was this the same organisation of big game hunters and adventurers that paid for their passage to France and were the first British troops in action or a different outfit altogether.
There is a book of which the title escapes me, written by a General, showing a squadron of Belgian cavalry passing an armed "Boy Scout", so the caption reads. The Frontiersmen always were a shadowy organisation so I guess a guy wearing a Lemon squeezer hat was lucky he was not titled as a "KIWI".

Seriously has anyone any explanation on the Imperial Frontiersmen.
Old 28-07-08, 10:46 PM

Default Frontiersmen

It's great to see these pictures posted. I have been scouring the earth looking for one of these, and thus far, no luck.

Does anyone have a picture of an "officers" enamel version as shown in K&K? I would be interested to learn when this dates from....
Old 28-07-08, 11:23 PM

Hi sonofacqms, I was just reading your post in passing and that got me going. I found this excerpt on the Frontiersmen from the web. Hoping this will help a bit.
Jo
http://www.frontiersmenhistorian.info/firstwar.htm
Old 30-07-08, 02:39 PM

Hi there,

First post, so please be gentle.

A little bit off-topic, so hope you will excuse it, but hopefully still relevant to the Frontiersmen.
I have had the following lapel/button-hole badge in my collection for quite a while. I have always assumed (probably wrongly) that it was for the Frontiersmen. On the basis that it looks exactly likethe enamel badge in the 3rd pattern cap badge (KK1144). It has the motto "GOD GUARD THEE"
As you can see from the pictures, it looks to have a very nice gilt and enamel finish. It is 16mm in diameter. It also has stamped on the reverse the numbers "21245", which I always took to be the last 5 digits of the wearers army nos. which I promised myself I would research when time was available. (Nope still haven't got round to it).

Regards

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frontiersmen_Front01.jpg (26.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Frontiersmen_side01.jpg (19.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Frontiersmen_Bk01.jpg (23.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 31-07-08, 10:05 PM

Smile Frontiersmen

Many thanks Voltgieur for posting the website on Frontiersmen, the Imperial Frontiersmen badges I was referring to are obscure to say the least, as my scanner is still not working and I have not bothered yet to get a new one, it may be some time before pictures become available!

Basically the headress badge consists of crossed lancers in G/M with a white metal horse superimposed under a G/M QVC with a scroll below bearing the title "Imperial Frontiersmen" this is in G/M. There are two versions of the badge with W/M pennons and G/M pennons.

I have never seen these badges referred to anywhere, unlike the Frontiersmen who are well documented and I believe still send a representative to the cenotaph every Armistice Sunday.
Old 01-08-08, 12:09 AM

Hello again Sonofacqms, found two "new" website on the Legion. The first one is rather awesome showing badges and all kind of goodies. Check in particular in the first one the History part and the Awards/Insignia part. Hopefully I'm helping and not obstructing.
Jo

http://www.legion-of-frontiersmen.net/

http://www.frontiersmen.se/links.htm
Old 19-09-08, 11:56 AM

Just thought I'd post a couple of versions of the 3rd pattern, for comment & to keep the interest going & see what might turn up here also.

A pair of collars also

Cheers
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic613.jpg (57.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Pic617.jpg (55.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Pic489.jpg (32.3 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 18-09-14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 28-09-08, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4966Ian View Post
Hi there,

First post, so please be gentle.

A little bit off-topic, so hope you will excuse it, but hopefully still relevant to the Frontiersmen.
I have had the following lapel/button-hole badge in my collection for quite a while. I have always assumed (probably wrongly) that it was for the Frontiersmen. On the basis that it looks exactly likethe enamel badge in the 3rd pattern cap badge (KK1144). It has the motto "GOD GUARD THEE"
As you can see from the pictures, it looks to have a very nice gilt and enamel finish. It is 16mm in diameter. It also has stamped on the reverse the numbers "21245", which I always took to be the last 5 digits of the wearers army nos. which I promised myself I would research when time was available. (Nope still haven't got round to it).

Regards

Ian
This is indeed the Legion of Frontiersmen lapel badge. It is still in use by Countess Mountbatten's Own-Legion of Frontiersmen ( our Patron granted permission to use her title in 2002) in one form or another. Mountings vary as most are locally made. The number on the back is the membership number of the Frontiersman it was issued to. CMOLF is the original organization founded in 1904 but today several groups exist that use the Frontiersmen name in various forms.
Old 28-08-09, 06:58 PM

Default A couple more...

Seems this is an old thread, but good to keep it going!

Here are my 3 items. I'm still trying to find out when the "Third Pattern" was worn, and if it is first war. Any ideas?

Comments (good or bad) most welcome as always!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KK1142 Front.jpg (52.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg KK1142 Rear.jpg (50.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg KK1143 Front 2.jpg (60.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg KK1143 Rear.jpg (60.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg KK1144 Front.jpg (58.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg KK1144 Rear.jpg (52.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 29-08-09, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Neil,

This badge has been discussed before and there is no evidence that it was worn in WW1. It might well have been a post war old comrades item.

Alan