British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-03-11, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Hello Keith

I submitted a thread about this particular badge a while back but nothing conclusive emerged. Here's the link to it which highlights my reservations:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=14531

...and here's the back of the badge.

Also, just out of interest, an old poster:

Cheers,

Peter
I can understand your reservations. The double stamp at the base isn't a great indicator and the crimp looks a bit OTT. Sharp edges to the badge too.

Simon, cyclists badges are a highly collectable category so copy 25th London's have been around as long if not longer than most restrikes. Your badges is neither here nor there, meaning that it's not cast well enough to be an officers' cap or collar badge and it's semi die cast so definently not an OR's. It's a badge I'd put on par with the full size 4th County of London Yeomanry where all those that come on the market are cast from a Gaunt officers badge. As I said earlier, it appears too many times in lists being sold by out and out copy sellers so why should this one be any different?
Old 06-09-11, 02:11 PM

Default 25TH LONDON CYCLISTS

Hi all, wanted to see what the opinion were on this little number. It has what I see a domed look to it and some clear definition to the rear. I'm not 100% sure though.

Look forward to any insight or comments.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-09-06 at 10.07.17 AM.jpg (16.1 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-09-06 at 10.07.20 AM.jpg (19.0 KB, 135 views)
Old 06-09-11, 06:42 PM

Hi Simon
This badge has been reproed to death and i am afraid your's look's like one of them. There are genuine one's (i have one in my collection) out there and not expensive. Its just a case of finding one amongst all the repro's. Also the genuine one's as far as i know have slider's,but so do a lot of the repro's. Look for a strong longish slider.
Hope to have been some help.
Neil
Old 06-09-11, 06:44 PM

I don't have it. I just came across it and thought with what looked like a domed front which Keith told me was a sign of a good one. The lugs I didn't know; I'll make a note on that.

Thanks Neil.
Old 07-09-11, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Lugged collars were identical and one was sold by Bosleys recently. I think a photo is still on Buywyze. I would not dismiss any abdge because of lugs.
Old 07-09-11, 09:01 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Lugged collars were identical and one was sold by Bosleys recently. I think a photo is still on Buywyze. I would not dismiss any abdge because of lugs.
Hello Alan,

Do you mean that looped collars were identical in size (to the cap badge) or in that they were identical in their design?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Simon,

Below is a looped badge of mine, for comparison. Although the loops have seen better days, they seem fine to me.

I am of the opinion that this badge is 'genuine'. It shows plenty of signs of age, wear, and (as far as I can tell) displays none of the general negative characteristics that the more obvious copies have:

25th Looped 013.jpg25th Looped 015.jpg25th Looped 001.jpg25th Looped 002.jpg25th Looped 005.jpg

Cheers,

Peter.

Last edited by Peter J; 22-02-12 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-09-11, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that they were idenitcal in size and design. That is certainly what Bosley's last one was sold as.
Old 07-09-11, 04:55 PM

I tend to agree Peter, the one I posted has nice rear definition and is domed as I was told was a good sign. I posted a 25th some time ago, I attached here. I was told a repro, and I can see to some extent, as it is flat backed and seems to be a bronze like material with lugs (which I was told arn't right to have on this badge). I ditiched it; I'm hoping now I was right to do so.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25TH COUNTY LONDON.jpg (79.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 25TH COUNTY LONDON R.jpg (83.4 KB, 87 views)
Old 07-09-11, 05:30 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
I tend to agree Peter, the one I posted has nice rear definition and is domed as I was told was a good sign. I posted a 25th some time ago, I attached here. I was told a repro, and I can see to some extent, as it is flat backed and seems to be a bronze like material with lugs (which I was told arn't right to have on this badge). I ditiched it; I'm hoping now I was right to do so.....
Simon, looks to me that you ditched an OSD collar badge? As to the badge posted at the start of the thread, I would say it's a repro, the lugs look thin and that white residue would also put me off going anywhere near it!

Andy
Old 07-09-11, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Simon, looks to me that you ditched an OSD collar badge? As to the badge posted at the start of the thread, I would say it's a repro, the lugs look thin and that white residue would also put me off going anywhere near it!

Andy
Anyone got a bladed OSD cap badge for comparison? There's an unusual lot of rear detail for a bronze badge.
Old 15-09-11, 02:33 PM

Well, it arrived yesterday. I'm not sure, as it has a nice domed front to me, but I do agree on the verdigris. Any last thoughts on it.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5008.jpg (17.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5007.jpg (56.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5010.jpg (46.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 03-12-11, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

This one looks better to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyclists.jpg (23.8 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (78.5 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 03-12-11 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 04:34 PM

I've been going through my 25th badges to do my next album & thought I'd tag this on the end of this thread. I have 4 that I've never been happy with, picked up from ebay over the years, all have a different finish & are lugged or slidered. I have noticed that they all have the same marks on them, these being horrible looking outlined jewels on the base of the crown, a flaw under the base of the 2 at the right hand end looking like a small length of out of place spoke & a flaw at the top of the letter L in CYCLISTS which looks like a small pennant flying to the left. I have 3 that I am happy with and none of these display any of these marks!! All 3 that I consider to be ok have sliders too. I've added pics to show these,plus a good one by Woodward for comparison, may be of interest to some, all the best,
Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Close up of dodgy jewels.JPG (45.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Flaw below 2.JPG (14.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Flaw above L.JPG (35.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Showing all 3.jpg (103.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 25th London by Woodward.jpg (62.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 09-04-12, 04:55 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
I've been going through my 25th badges to do my next album & thought I'd tag this on the end of this thread. I have 4 that I've never been happy with, picked up from ebay over the years, all have a different finish & are lugged or slidered. I have noticed that they all have the same marks on them, these being horrible looking outlined jewels on the base of the crown, a flaw under the base of the 2 at the right hand end looking like a small length of out of place spoke & a flaw at the top of the letter L in CYCLISTS which looks like a small pennant flying to the left. I have 3 that I am happy with and none of these display any of these marks!! All 3 that I consider to be ok have sliders too. I've added pics to show these,plus a good one by Woodward for comparison, may be of interest to some, all the best,
Wilf.

Wilf,

Thanks for sharing these observations. I've checked my badges and seem to have two which display these faults, one with loops and the other with a slider.

Interestingly, another example I have with which I have never been entirely happy (non-voided crown) has none of the faults you list.

It's a funny ol' game, Saint!

Thanks again,

Peter.
Old 09-04-12, 09:02 PM

I have two 25th Battalion Cyclists, and one has the faults noted by Orasot, so I’m guessing it’s a copy. This one doesn’t have the flaw below the 2 or the mark above the L and the crown looks different. Might this be a good badge ?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Regards Alan Y.

25th 01.JPG 25th 02.JPG 25th 03.JPG

Tags
25th londons, london cyclists