British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-07-11, 05:38 PM

Default 1 Commando

Yes, thanks, I bought them as fillers.
Old 16-09-11, 05:40 AM

For anyone who thinks the pattern offered on Ebay was ok Peter Taylor has one for sale at 450 GBP. Cheers JB
Old 16-09-11, 12:51 PM

The type on the ebay link and the one Peter has pictured I don't believe is right. I might be wrong but the only original ones with provenance aren't like these - see the attached image - the only one I've ever had from a Private L Smith.

I've only ever believed the "long flame" type. The stitching on these badges is far superior and much more in keeping with other original badges. I'm not going to go into too much detail. The beauty of freedom of speech and the will to decide for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img145.jpg (73.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg img146.jpg (56.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg img147.jpg (56.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg img148.jpg (58.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg img149.jpg (74.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 16-09-11, 01:12 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamandJam View Post
For anyone who thinks the pattern offered on Ebay was ok Peter Taylor has one for sale at 450 GBP. Cheers JB
JB, Oh dear. It looks as if its the same old story being repeated all over again. I guess the expression that a Leopard can't change its spots is absolutely true - or in this case, the flame height. Absolutely incredible. All we really need is photographic evidence of the 'short flamed' version being worn. I could do one in Photoshop....
Old 16-09-11, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
JB, Oh dear. It looks as if its the same old story being repeated all over again. I guess the expression that a Leopard can't change its spots is absolutely true - or in this case, the flame height. Absolutely incredible. All we really need is photographic evidence of the 'short flamed' version being worn. I could do one in Photoshop....
David, that is very true. There are no photos of the short flame example being worn or examples of the short flame with believable provenance. You don't need to be an expert on badges to work this out - just look at as if you were a detective.
Old 16-09-11, 03:49 PM

Fantastic grouping jdr, thanks for sharing!!
Old 16-09-11, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post
Fantastic grouping jdr, thanks for sharing!!
No worries, my pleasure. I don't own this anymore - it was sold about 3 years ago.
Old 16-09-11, 08:01 PM

see another Long flamed sally worn by Andrew O'Marah No1 commando; Interesting are also the NO1 commando shoulder tabs. What a great character this man!! JB

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoG...mando.jpg.html
Old 16-09-11, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamandJam View Post
see another Long flamed sally worn by Andrew O'Marah No1 commando; Interesting are also the NO1 commando shoulder tabs. What a great character this man!! JB

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoG...mando.jpg.html
Great picture JB

We call this the "long flame" example for ease of reference - but really there are many more differences between this and the "small flame" example.
Old 16-09-11, 08:08 PM

Fully agree Jack I am in the same court. One of the most convincing arguments is that the other pattern is really ugly compared to this stunning design, shame No 1 commando abandoned this badge so early and that it was short lived.

Cheers
JB
Old 17-09-11, 10:33 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

JB,
For what its worth, here is the only one I have from a better source than the 'short flame' version mentioned earlier in this thread than the one I ended up with from our expert. If you count the one I was sold and the new one, that makes 2 of them now. How strange....
I think(?) that you have seen both 'in the flesh'. Rgds, David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SallyClothBadge.jpg (99.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 17-09-11, 12:15 PM

Default 1 commando salamander

I'm sure if you give it a while the same old defender will come along and trot out some story that he got it from a veteran or some other undisclosable source and that it is in his opinion 100%. Of course I could be wrong but it does have a habit of happening when someone has the cheek to doubt Peter Taylor.

It could of course also just be a genuine mistake like the 'Pegasus India' and Ghurka badge discussed on the forum a few weeks ago that was pronounced to be OK by the same so called 'expert' who was later proved to be very wrong.

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 17-09-11, 12:36 PM
Banned

Sorry, Arnhem, this one came from Canada. I bought it a short time ago and recently sold it to Peter. For the record, the only thing I did to test for authenticity related to the yarns used in its manufacture and the stitching remnants present. For those who doubt it, just avoid it. After all, opinions expressed are (I presume) mere opinions - to be accepted or rejected by others. I cannot help but note that many members with keen special forces knowledge have refrained from comment, leaving only those with a vested interest in an old feud to condemn Peter's website listing. Boring - the same old beat played on the same old drum ! The Forum isn't the place for feuds - I thought that had been proven. David
Old 17-09-11, 12:46 PM

Hello jdr - Nice attributed item Looking through my notes:
Pte L Smith, 5774998, Norfolk Reg - served 1 SS Bn (would be Nov 40 to March 41 era), No1 Cdo and HOC (Holding Operational Commmando - Wrexham (not necessarily on staff)) I believe he joined in Nov 40 and served to Dec1945. Of course you may already know this - but as I had a note of this particular veteran I thought I would share it. Regards Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 17-09-11 at 03:38 PM.
Old 17-09-11, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
Sorry, Arnhem, this one came from Canada. I bought it a short time ago and recently sold it to Peter. For the record, the only thing I did to test for authenticity related to the yarns used in its manufacture and the stitching remnants present. For those who doubt it, just avoid it. After all, opinions expressed are (I presume) mere opinions - to be accepted or rejected by others. I cannot help but note that many members with keen special forces knowledge have refrained from comment, leaving only those with a vested interest in an old feud to condemn Peter's website listing. Boring - the same old beat played on the same old drum ! The Forum isn't the place for feuds - I thought that had been proven. David
David, I like many others here couldn't care less about a feud, who someone is or anything else for that matter. I care only about the badge. As it happens I know Peter Taylor and don't have a problem with him. He's friendly enough and I have bought plenty of good stuff from him. However, it doesn't stop me having a negative opinion on one of his badges. But that's all it is. If I don't like something, I just won't buy it.

As I have already made clear I think the only right one is the "long flame" type. That's the beauty of living in a free society; pay your money, take your choice!

David W - that's a beauty!

Mike - thanks for the additional info.