British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-08, 02:11 PM

Default West Yorkshire Regiment

This one is selling on Ebay . By the look of the slider I would say WW1 .
Anyone agree ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-West-Y...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 30-03-08, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Anyone agree ?
Yes, I believe so from the length of the tapered slider and general appearance of the badge. A good bet for WW1 period +/-.
Old 31-03-08, 10:42 AM

The slider looks righ enouth but, personally I think it looks a bit funny on the back, would anyone else agree? Think I would leave it alone if I couldn't get my hands on it.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 31-03-08, 06:25 PM

Smile W.Yorks

The "ears" that attach the scroll to the horse look very large to me, maybe from a manufacturer I have not encountered.
Old 31-03-08, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
The "ears" that attach the scroll to the horse look very large to me, maybe from a manufacturer I have not encountered.
Sonofacqms

I'd noticed that too they do seem unusually big, the ones on mine are much smaller but I guess we can't rule out a different manufacturer.

It would be interesting to see if anyone on the forum has a good badge with these large "tabs/ears" - I wonder if anyone knows the correct terminology for them as well.

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 31-03-08 at 06:47 PM.
Old 31-03-08, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Anyone agree ?
Being a collector of badges to Yorkshire i have over 50 West Yorks badges of which at least 14 are based on this style of badge. Most are officer variants in bronze and S+G but i also have nco`s wm, volunteers as well as all brass examples. There are two distinct styles of text which are used one being a bold type `WEST YORKSHIRE` with a deep scroll with a more exagerated curve on the scroll, the second with the same lettering but much sharper, slightly smaller with less of a gap between the letters and the scroll. I have an example of the latter for a pre-1902 genuine volunteers badge as well as a wwi economy. I think the loose scroll that is depicted in your initial thread was used probably during wwii though it is only my opinion. I cannot find an early badge with this `loose` scroll on it. The badge itself i think is genuine despite the oversized brazing points. Another point to note is that the horses nose is slightly more vertical than the norm and also the style of the front legs being connected is also rare in other ranks badges. I think this is down to a manufacturers variation rarther than a repro though. The most unusual people were called upon to manufacture cap badges when the balloon went up both in the first and second wars.
Hope this helps,
Keep smiling, Dave (The Tyke)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WestYorks.jpg (39.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 31-03-08, 10:37 PM

PS,
i also have examples of the badge where the `ears` are on the upper part of the badge not on the scroll! I think the thing to remember here is that at the time the badges were in manufacture they were being made in their thousands by several manufacturers some of which had never made cap badges before.The quality control for the `sealed` pattern badge went only so far as the front of the badge, the method of assembly was left down to the manufacturer!
Old 01-04-08, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Here's mine. different design again. the big tags make sense and are good design as they bridge the concave surface of the back of the "ground", and therefore have two attachment points each. small ones on my badge would be weak and break, being fixed only on the very bottom rim.

Old 10-08-08, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default West Yorkshire Regt Cap Badge reversed horse oddity

Chaps,

I saw this for sale in the US and was quite surprised. I have never seen such a variation before. Is it a maker's error? (although you would feel pretty stupid if you had made a die back to front!) I cannot think of any headress where you would need a reversed horse to make it run to the front (think of the 1924 RTC badge here).

Any thoughts?

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6584_1.jpg (16.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 63ae_1.jpg (15.8 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 10-08-08 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-08-08, 10:03 PM

Default West Yorkshire badge

Could this be an amalgamation of a 3rd Dragoons RH collar badge and a West Yorkshire scroll? Looking at the reverse picture, there seems to have been some discolouration around the "ears" of the scroll, maybe the person who put this together didn't clean the flux off, or maybe this was where the original loops were.
Old 10-08-08, 10:11 PM
David Douglas

Default West Yorkshire etc.

I agree with the previous post. I believe someone is having fun with a 3rd collar badge, a spare slider and a West Yorkshire scroll. I remember having a stuffed hare head with roebuck horns growing from its skull cap - wasn't fooled for a minute ! (well, maybe two minutes). Keep smiling. David
Old 10-08-08, 11:35 PM

Got me beat this one. Am not convinced that the horse is anything other than the West Yorks Hanovarian Horse. I have not got a 3rd Hussars collar but putting the cap badges side by side, they are very much different. The 3rd H horse is a much sturdier stead with an arched neck with a very full mane. The West Yorks horse has an upright neck with a subdued mane and is of a much slighter build. I have seen mismatched badges before with a West Yorks Horse on an 3rd Hussars scroll and it screams that they do not belong. Of the 24 West Yorks cap / helmet badges depicting the Hanovarian horse from pre Cardwell era through to amalgamation with the East Yorks i have in my collection not one faces right! The only genuine badge i know facing right is an officer bronze collar badge which obviosly this is not. Looking at the badge very closely on the detail it seems to match the strikes i have that were worn around WWI as one i have is an all brass. Could it be a novice manufacturers cock up? The Green Howards had a badge struck with a crown not a coronet in WWII, could this be a similar mistake? Is the badge still for sale Alan or did you whisk it up?
Cheers, Dave
Old 11-08-08, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Dave,

I also think that it is the West Hanoverian horse and not a 3H collar. With a copy of Westlake's book in front of me the badge is clearly not a 3H collar as the snout and tail are wrong for 3h but correct for W Yorks. It is still for sale but at a whopping £50!

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 11-08-08 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-12-08, 09:52 PM
guest123a

Smile It's now mine

Hi all. The badge now belongs to me, and yes I did pay the asking price for it (before doing so I spoke at some length to the seller). The horse is definatly a West Yorkshire Regiment one (reversed), a mirror immage of many of the correct way round ones I have in my collection, all very strange I know.

The badge came in to the posession of it's former owner (a dealer in medals) in the 1970's as part of a collection of West York's items inc a number of medals. As the previous owner did not collect badges it got shoved away for around 40 years, and when it resurfaced notbeen abadge collectorhe put it up for sale.

I have no reason to disbelieve him about the story, it does not explan though how the badge came about, it is unusual and I'm pleased to have it in my West Yorks collection. Any one come up with an answer as to it's origin I would be most pleased toknow.

Nec Aspera Terrant
Old 09-12-08, 11:19 PM

Hi Marcus,

nice to see you. I also had long discussions with the seller of this badge but the gentleman could not provide any firm provenance so i backed off. Without seeing the item in my sticky mits i could not be certain as the strike is identical in every detail to one i have but reversed. If you are around for a while maybe we could arrange to meet up to compare West Yorks badges.

Cheers, Dave

PS did you ever get hold of your East Yorks plastic?

Tags
west yorkshire, yorkshire