British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-08-07, 09:33 AM

Default Denbighshire Hussars

How can you tell the difference between a bronze Denbighshire Hussars badge and a bronze 15th Bn Civil Service Rifles of the London Regt?
Old 21-08-07, 10:32 AM

Hi moraynovice, welcome to the forum.

it's all in the scroll.

On the yeomanry badge the 'Ich Dien' scroll ends are in a more vertical "pulled up" position - almost touching the coronet.

On the 15/Lond Regt the scroll is in a more horozontal position, well clear of the coronet.
Old 11-01-08, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default Denbighshire Hussars yeomanry

The Denbighshire Hussars yeomanry is one of the most mis-sold badges and the easiest to confuse being a simple Prince of Wales feathers. They are very scarce as the regt ceased to wear the abdge after WW1 when they became RA.

They are bronzed with a slider. There is a slight design difference to the 15 London (Civil Service Rifles) The badge on the left is the DH with a slightly steeper arrangement of scrolls. the Rh one is 15 london in (rather worn) blackened brass.

Hope this is of interest. please excuse the poor lighting.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badges 006.jpg (34.8 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg badges 007.jpg (33.2 KB, 141 views)
Old 11-01-08, 07:47 PM

Hi Alan,
Thank you for clarifying that particular problem of identification.I remember purchasing a Denbighshire Hussars Badge at an Arms Fair from a dealer and on moving to another dealer only to be told that it was wrong and the one that he was selling was the right pattern.This action carried on for some considerable time in fact I'm going to have a look at the badge I eventually bought to compare with yours.
Thanks
Bantam
Old 11-01-08, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

I spent a considerable amount of time finding that one and bought 3 15 Londons on the way (indeed the one shown next to it is now for sale if anyone wants it!). The shape is so very similiar and it is the bronzing that was the clincher for me. I have seen 15 London in Blackened Brass where the blackening has been applied as a paste and in black painted brass.

Too many dealers try to pass off bi-metal badges (usually Welsh Regt ones with the scroll removed) as Denbigh Hussars.

Alan
Old 11-01-08, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
I spent a considerable amount of time finding that one and bought 3 15 Londons on the way (indeed the one shown next to it is now for sale if anyone wants it!). The shape is so very similiar and it is the bronzing that was the clincher for me. I have seen 15 London in Blackened Brass where the blackening has been applied as a paste and in black painted brass.

Too many dealers try to pass off bi-metal badges (usually Welsh Regt ones with the scroll removed) as Denbigh Hussars.

Alan
Alan,

While there are minor differences between the the angle of the scrolls, my opinion is that both wore the same basic badge and that no-one can really say which is correct, in fact the books make the confusion worse. Finishes can have something to do with it though as being a rifles regiment the 15th London ought to be black. For the record the one I have in my collection as a Denbighshire Hussars (left) is more OSD deep brown and my 15th London black (right).

Just to confuse matters more the ACD records for badges to be finished in black actually says to be bronzed!

Here's a link to a black one with scrolls even more angular.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORIGINAL-15TH-...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Denbigh.jpg (69.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 15th London.jpg (30.7 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 11-01-08 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Missed an S off again. Additional link
Old 12-01-08, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Keith,

I think you are quite right on the scrolls there are no hard and fast rules as there were clearly several dies in use with differnent makers involved. The key is that the DH are bronzed and the Rifles are blackened.

Alan
Old 12-01-08, 08:02 AM

Default Denbighshire Hussars

I dont know how clear this will be but I am attaching a scan of a photo of the Denbighsire Hussars sealed patterns from Bryn Owens book ( No1 Anglesey and Caernarfonshire ( his spelling not mine ))
Left hand card dated 1901,right hand dated 1902. Obviously these relate to the DHIY not DHY.

Rather like the Liverpool Scottish (Camerons ) if all the badges you see to this unit were genuine,the units would have been at least 3 or 4 times the strength they were.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img369.jpg (97.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 12-01-08, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Some better photos. The bronzed one is shown next to a blackened brass 15 London and a BB (but painted) 15 londons.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1120009.JPG (24.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg P1120010.JPG (23.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 12-01-08, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
Some better photos. The bronzed one is shown next to a blackened brass 15 London and a BB (but painted) 15 londons.

Alan
The scrolls are certainly more 'stretched out' on the l/h one. It has a strange slider tip though which is very reminiscent of some found on economies. Wouldn't it have so much easier for us if the 15th London cap badge had followed the shape and style of their collar scrolls which are unique!
Old 13-01-08, 06:28 PM

Default Denbighshire Hussars Yeomanry

Here are some of my badges for the above.
1.Officer's silver and gilt.
2.Officer's bronze, which came directly off the hat and had never previously been removed.
3.Other ranks'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badges 009.jpg (60.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 011.jpg (51.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 013.jpg (50.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 015.jpg (61.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 004.jpg (58.2 KB, 132 views)
Old 14-01-08, 11:40 PM

Hi 41st,
Super badges I wish I knew your supplier!! Superb.
Regards,
Bantam
Old 22-02-08, 05:26 PM

Default denbighshire hussars photograph

hello to you all,im a new member to the forum,and it is an absolute goldmine of information.i have attached an studio portrait of a sergeant which i believe to be a member of the denbighshire hussars.the cap and collar badges are very clear.if im wrong on this one i am sure you will let me know!.im not sure of the date on this,but at a guess i would say circa 1910.also if you look at the studio address it puts it in the right area.any way i hope this is of some use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg denby-hussar-resize.jpg (35.7 KB, 148 views)
Old 22-02-08, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

I am in 2 minds - initially I didn't think that it is DH as the badge is wrong - it would be bronze for the DH. More likely to be Wiltshire Yeomanry as their badges were bi-metal and had shallower scrolls. But it is a indeed a NWales photo mind you and as he is in Blue Patrols with the chain mail then perhaps the w/m badge is correct for this type of DH uniform but this would fly in the face of every book I have read.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 22-02-08 at 08:10 PM. Reason: change 'written' for 'I have read'
Old 22-02-08, 05:44 PM

Hi Signalman,
Nice photo.I've had the books out and I'm in agreement with you that its Denbighshire Hussars.It's really great that information can be shared around like this.
Lets see what the other members have to say ?
Regards,
Bantam

Tags
denbighshire, yeomanry