British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-14, 07:10 PM

Default Scots Guards Piper's Bonnet Badge

This is the Scots Guards piper's bonnet badge as illustrated by W H and K D bloomer in their book "Scottish Regimental Badges 1793-1971". I think it is the actual badge as shown on page 2 number 15.
It was shown to me by a fellow member (ex Colour Serjeant Irish Guards) of the East Midlands Branch of the Military Historical Society with the request that I put it on the Forum and ask for any further details that members may have.
The Bloomers state that it is silver but I have no way of telling other than submitting it to a jeweller for testing. There are no hallmarks or other silver markings. It feels nice in the hand and was clearly made by a craftsman. It is not a "government issue".

At this stage I think what we are looking for is any information at all particularly a date (and if possible a place) of wear. Would it have been worn by the Pipe Major?
There are suggestions of scrolls above and below the star of the Order of the Thistle. Is this indicative of anything in particular?

Your support please members

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 06-01-14, 08:04 PM
Former Member

Gordon,
I would agree that it is the badge shown in the reference you refer to! As to whether it would have been worn by a Pipe Major, I would say that was unlikely unless in civilian clothing in his Glengarry? Whoever made it seems to have got their stars mixed up and has use the early Black Watch pattern star rather than the Scots Guards, Order of the Thistle? The SG pipers badges that are worn in uniform mirror that worn by non-pipers of equivalent ranks but set inside a Garter Strap and the P.Maj would have worn a far more elaborated Cap Star! To me the badge you show looks more like one of the plethora of "Clan Badges" that are in circulation and worn in highland/Scottish dress rather than with Military uniform? It could have belonged to an ex P.Maj but I would say it unlikely he wore in uniform in his feather bonnet?

Best regards

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 06-01-14 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 09:23 AM

Default Scots Guards Piper's Bonnet Badge

Good morning Andy

Many thanks for your response. I can't disagree with your views on this one and will relay them to the owner when we meet tomorrow.

I was wondering if this is a one-off? In the absence of any others I have to assume that it is and that changes the picture entirely. As you say it could place it in the realms of "clan badges" though I am not sure about the Scots Guards being thought of in that respect.

I would welcome the views of the Scottish collectors on the validity or otherwise of this badge please.

Size by the way is 68mm x 51.5mm.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 07-01-14, 09:50 AM
Former Member

Gordon,
Good morning to you too and best wishes for the New Year!

I think the badge shown has been cobbled together using the BW star as the background? Perhaps from a previous clan style badge? To me the lugs and size would indicate it's intention to be worn in some form of headdress? As you are well aware those North of the Border and those in the former colonies with even the slightest trace of Scottish blood in their veins, or even Scotch tend to dress up in traditional garb at the drop of a Glengarry, no offence intended to proper Scots, but the sale of clan badges and related items is big business!

A Scots Guards piper or ex for that matter, wearing traditional dress whilst "off duty" may have worn such as badge? The wearing of uniform items in civilian clothing is not a common practice within Regiments of the Household Division!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 07-01-14 at 09:57 AM.