British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-07-11, 09:39 AM

Default US wings on British uniform

Friends,

One more picture of foreign parachute wings being worn on British uniform.

This time US wings worn by a bombardier of 21 Air Assault Battery.

Source: British Army Badges, by Robin Hodges

best regards,

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US wings on British uniform.jpg (29.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 28-07-11, 11:18 AM

Just received my FANY(PRVC) att SAS CAP badge(repro for my use)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 27-01-13 at 10:08 AM.
Old 28-07-11, 01:23 PM

Great badge Jerry, and well done with the detective work

In other words, ............. An Earned Badge, not given away in a lucky bag, like some people think.
(Do we really think the special forces are gonna let anyone wear their badges, in front of them, without provence)

cheers Ken (The Fatboy)

Last edited by Fatboy Ken; 28-07-11 at 01:28 PM. Reason: correct spelling again
Old 28-07-11, 05:31 PM

I do wish Councilforthedefence and other sceptics could have a little chat with my mother who joined FANY as a trooper in 1938 and left as a Junior Commander (Capt) in 1945. She was a qualified parachutist and wore her wings as such. My stuff is in store at present but when I get it all out I can produce a photo showing her in a camo smock complete with wings and armed. I also have her jump log. NB wings not lightbulb.

Her last posting was as Battery Captain of a Mobile Heavy AA Battery and if that is not part of the army I am not sure what is.

The truth is that FANY were and are a privately organised unit which loosely belongs to the TA Association. They were formed after the Boer War to act as mounted First Aiders in support of the Cavalry. At that time they were sponsored and trained by the Brigade of Guards.

In WW1 they mostly served alongside the Belgian and French Armies. In WW2 most FANY were required to transfer to the ATS as officers. Some however were not transferred and served alongside SOE and SAS and other SF. They were known as "Free Fanys". Odette Sansom Hallowes GC, MBE, Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur FANY might spring to mind. The vital point was that ATS were not allowed to carry weapons and FANY were.

Post WW2 FANY reverted to it's independent status. The fact they are eligible to join the SFC may be relevant.

At the moment this is the only uniform picture I have. She died in 1997
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0382.jpg (40.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 28-07-11, 05:48 PM

eddie, Great piece there and I for one look forward to your other pictures as and when. Thank you

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 28-07-11, 11:02 PM

"Free Fanys".

Unfortunately, didn't see any during my time in uniform. I believe they had turned into WRAC's by then.
Old 18-10-11, 12:42 PM

A couple of examples of the FANY Parachute badge, both though I believe are reproductions, especially the one on the right, does the one on the left though stand a chance? Regards, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1.jpg (63.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg f2.jpg (65.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 18-10-11, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee1 View Post
A couple of examples of the FANY Parachute badge, both though I believe are reproductions, especially the one on the right, does the one on the left though stand a chance? Regards, Clive.
My personal view is no-it is a repro but who knows???

I am still waiting for FANY(PRVC) HQ to get back to me on this.

JERRY
Old 20-10-11, 07:07 PM

I have supplied my brother, who is a para, with examples of the NZ para wing and the US basic para wing so he can wear them (one only) over the right pocket of his para smock. He tends to wear the US ones these days "as you get more respect from the Yanks you may be working alongside if you're wearing their wings". Regarding unofficial badges, the Union Flag in subdued with a para cap badge embroidered over the top is not mentioned in dress regs, but was frequently worn on HERRICK 13, and I have examples of some of the unofficial badges worn by Hereford, but unfortunately not the one they were wearing when they met the Prince of Wales, which read "F*** Al Queda" or something similar. I'm pretty certain the brown embroidered HCR eagle worn by a member of the Royal Family on ops overseas on his body armour. Sorry I can'y post piccies, but I'm a bit of dinosaur - I'm sure various readers will remember some of the piccies as they had a very wide circulation in the press (just not the Hereford ones).

WC
Old 20-10-11, 09:19 PM

Default SAS FANY

Eddie beat me to mentioning the brave exploits of ladies enrolled as FANY, but really SOE, during WW2.

Today FANY regularly support the police in London providing vital communication support in Major Incident Casualty Bureaux. Rather than deride them, as one member of the forum seems to, they should be supported and congratulated for their public spirit, in the same way we should respect those who join the TA.

Stephen.

PS- If someone is 'banned', how come they can still interfere on the Forum?
Old 20-10-11, 09:55 PM
Mr. Jackanory

FANY trained alongside 87 Sig Sqdn/38 Sig Regt at annual camp in 1994. My mate's face was a picture when he heard FANYs were to be training with us. I believe that the troop officer silenced him with one look..
Old 20-10-11, 11:01 PM

Hahahaha I like it!
Old 21-10-11, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianh67military View Post
I have supplied my brother, who is a para, with examples of the NZ para wing and the US basic para wing so he can wear them (one only) over the right pocket of his para smock. He tends to wear the US ones these days "as you get more respect from the Yanks you may be working alongside if you're wearing their wings". Regarding unofficial badges, the Union Flag in subdued with a para cap badge embroidered over the top is not mentioned in dress regs, but was frequently worn on HERRICK 13, and I have examples of some of the unofficial badges worn by Hereford, but unfortunately not the one they were wearing when they met the Prince of Wales, which read "F*** Al Queda" or something similar. I'm pretty certain the brown embroidered HCR eagle worn by a member of the Royal Family on ops overseas on his body armour. Sorry I can'y post piccies, but I'm a bit of dinosaur - I'm sure various readers will remember some of the piccies as they had a very wide circulation in the press (just not the Hereford ones).

WC
Prince Harry wearing the "HCR Eagle" badge on his body armour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harry Wales.jpg (9.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 21-10-11, 11:13 AM

If you going on the Defence Images on their website or on Flickr and look at most of the soldiers in Afghan, most of them are wearing unofficial badges i.e: Para Wings on a rectangular backing with blood group and number, unofficial ATO badges etc....

As for FANY, these people seem to have the get up and go to actually do what they do, they are affiliated to the Military, but they do a good job and send themselves away on Military Camps, who are we to slate them? I congratulate them for what they do.