British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-18, 04:14 AM

Hi Mike, I can put together some better photography on the weekend. There definitely is a variety of collar badge patterns and I can outline all the varieties I've been able to assemble, as well as the four main varieties of cap badges.

Regarding the silver maple leaf. It's actually a plated, General List badge . Maple Leaf style GL badges (of which I am a collector of their varieties) were commonly used from the First War through to the Second War for soldiers not yet assigned a Regt. or those units without a badge.

I have a few of CAC group photos which show the General List badge in wear, one as ate as the winter of 43-44.

In the CAC History book, I believe there is a photo of some Essex Tank men wearing the GL badge on black berets before their own cap badge was produced (circa 1937 IIRC). I'd say that prior to design and availability of the CAC badge by 1940-41, the General List badge was used. Anyway, my particular GL badge has no provenance to a CAC member, frankly it just fit nicely into the display in that spot...
Old 05-01-18, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
The OSD collar badges would be wartime - only officers had collar badges since they wore service dress. ORs wore battledress, thus, no collar badges.
Au contrare... SD was worn by 'Other Ranks' in Canada as walking out dress. This photo of L/Cpl Munro catching a bus out of Borden dates to early 1943. Note, both W/M collar badges and cap badge.

I have among Lt. Bill Heil's insignia, his SD collar badges in both OSD and W/M (he was a Sgt. with the GGHG prior to his commission in 1943).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MUNRO026_Borden Bus Stop.jpg (60.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-01-18, 09:19 AM

Hi Bill, that would be great, and thanks for all the information, best wishes Mike
Old 05-01-18, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

The GL maple leaf was actually worn into the 1950's. When the newly formed 4 Canadian Guards were deployed to Korea in 1953-54, they had not yet had their cap badges authorized and wore the plated GL badges. Other courses or units also wore the GL badges until the new Cdn army general list badge was approved.
Old 05-01-18, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The GL maple leaf was actually worn into the 1950's. When the newly formed 4 Canadian Guards were deployed to Korea in 1953-54, they had not yet had their cap badges authorized and wore the plated GL badges. Other courses or units also wore the GL badges until the new Cdn army general list badge was approved.
Here is the above-mentioned photo.Courtesy of centre-arch.ca
IIRC,this photo shows the first members of the Canadian Guards going to the UK to train with one of the the UK Guards unit.

......it was during this period that the group of Canadian Guards came over to the U.K........Caterham Guards Depot....... in 1954,
On left, RSM JJT McManus,of Ottawa.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 05-01-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
Au contrare... SD was worn by 'Other Ranks' in Canada as walking out dress. This photo of L/Cpl Munro catching a bus out of Borden dates to early 1943. Note, both W/M collar badges and cap badge.

I have among Lt. Bill Heil's insignia, his SD collar badges in both OSD and W/M (he was a Sgt. with the GGHG prior to his commission in 1943).
Thank you. I stand corrected.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 05-01-18, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Bill, this somewhat confuses me. By the SWW there were two types of General List badges; the umpteen number of Maple Leaf designs and the Coat of Arms type. What dictated the wearing of what type/design of General List badge?

Photos I have of the 'Coat of Arms' type of GL in wear (SWW), are only of officers. But I have such a small sampling of photos to gauge from and they are all overseas/late war, I don't want to generalize. I thought that the Coat of Arms type GL superseded the Maple Leaf variants, but this is apparently not correct?

Bill.
Old 05-01-18, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

My understanding is that the Gen List Cdn Coat of Arms badges were officers. But I don't think the Cdn coat of arms pattern was authorized until after the war. And the Coat of Arms pattern is the officers' pattern. The badge I was referring to above as the new GL badge is the cross swords three maple leaf pattern.
The GL pattern worn by the Cdn Gds was the most common type. I don't think there was any logic to the distribution of GL badges, other than some depot/stores needed a box or two.
Old 05-01-18, 07:20 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that the Gen List Cdn Coat of Arms badges were officers. But I don't think the Cdn coat of arms pattern was authorized until after the war. And the Coat of Arms pattern is the officers' pattern. The badge I was referring to above as the new GL badge is the cross swords three maple leaf pattern.
The GL pattern worn by the Cdn Gds was the most common type. I don't think there was any logic to the distribution of GL badges, other than some depot/stores needed a box or two.
Is it this one Bill.....

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 05-01-18, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Yes.
Old 06-01-18, 03:39 AM

Default RSM Rockey McManus

Voltigeur:
Thank you for posting these great pictures. I was scrolling down and recognized RSM McManus before I read the caption. I entered RMC in Kingston in 1968. RSM McManus was the RSM of the College for the four years that I was there. On the day of our graduation, it was RSM McManus who stood on the edge of the parade square and gave our class our first salute as officers. He was an amazing NCO, a war hero, and I think someone who never slept. I remember that every time you moved on the college, you would look up and see him standing ramrod straight watching you from the tight peak of a Guards Cap. He passed about two years ago after a long career of devotion to Canada. A truly inspirational soldier.
Thank you
Don