British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-07-22, 02:24 AM

Default Chaplain badges for discussion

I believe that the Maltese cross badges shown may be WW1 Australian but would be interested to know any other theories. There are many images online of chaplains, nearly all wearing the standard solid square badges in both world wars.
1. I was told when I posted the larger badge in a previous thread that it was NOT British or Canadian. I found it in Australia but have never seen another. Any ideas appreciated.
2. The second Maltese cross cap badges are 3.8 by 2.4 mm, collar badges slightly smaller. There is a copyright photo online showing what looks like an Australian chaplain wearing them (see ww1chaplains.weebly.com).
3. I have also included for your information a collar badge that does not exist! QC postwar, the only one I have ever seen, and maker marked. It came from an estate lot from a former Bishop of Perth in WA who at one time was the senior Chaplain of the Australian army. Maybe one day we might find a similar QC cap badge that he had made before he retired in the mid 1950s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Chaplain1.jpeg (14.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Chap3.jpg (38.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1986.jpg (34.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg ChaplainCollarfront.jpg (48.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Chapback.jpg (77.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by kingsley; 27-07-22 at 02:31 AM.
Old 27-07-22, 05:34 AM

Default Chaplains badge, opinions sought

I think the last badge shown is an amalgamation of a QC and an old collar badge,
the metals look from your photo to be of differing colours, just an opinion.

Rob
Old 27-07-22, 05:38 AM

Hi
i believe first one is victorian/Edwardian it matches the bullion version,but with addition of a crown.
I would be interested in it if you ever decide to sell.
Thanks
Steve
Old 27-07-22, 09:28 AM

i agree with both Steve and Rob

first one is victorian/Edwardian. i have the bullion version somewhere and will try and dig it out. Oh and like Steve would be interested in it if you ever sell.

last badge shown is an amalgamation of a QC and an old collar badge

ive seen numerous pics of australian chaplains and i believe there were several acceptable designs.

BC
Old 27-07-22, 10:41 AM

Does anyone know when the 'solid square' Chaplain badge first came out? Badge 1 certainly pre-dates it but should surely be more common if it was used before 1914 by the comparatively large British army. The much smaller post-1903 Australian militia obviously would have had very few chaplains and I have never seen any documentation of an official badge. Maybe this was it.
The QC collar badge is a two-piece construction with an added crown, but it seems unlikely to me that any badge maker would have stamped his name on a badge made by someone else. Taylor Perth is a new to me.