British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-12-14, 07:38 PM

Default sainsbury christmas ad---update

hi.

found this about the sainsbury ad and thought i would share

http://www.centenarynews.com/article...fSjRU.facebook

the ad for those that have not see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWF2JBb1bvM

philip

Last edited by rockape560; 01-12-14 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the update Philip

It's great that they've raised £500k+ but my opinion of the advert still hasn't changed
Old 02-12-14, 05:41 PM

An this is why I admire you Jack , your a man of principle - you stick to what you believe .
Old 02-12-14, 06:50 PM

I think that was a great ad.
Old 02-12-14, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Thanks for the update Philip

It's great that they've raised £500k+ but my opinion of the advert still hasn't changed
Personally, I like the ad but although they've raised all lot of money it probably cost more than that to make. I also think that maybe Sainsburys might have a bit of a guilty conscience for wanting to built on the memorial ground in Bristol.
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 02-12-14, 08:04 PM

Sainsburys might have a bit of a guilty conscience for wanting to built on the memorial ground in Bristol, but if it had been any one of the other big supermarkets they bo not have the decency to feel any guilt. They won't even sell popies for RBL.
What will happen to the grounds if Sainsbury don't build on them?
Eddie
Old 02-12-14, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Sainsburys might have a bit of a guilty conscience for wanting to built on the memorial ground in Bristol, but if it had been any one of the other big supermarkets they bo not have the decency to feel any guilt. They won't even sell popies for RBL.
What will happen to the grounds if Sainsbury don't build on them?
Eddie
It will get bought by a another developer and get built on to generate profit on is the simple answer.

I agree with what you say Eddie, it doesn't really matter who bought the site, it was always destined to be a re development site.

In all honesty, I don't think the redevelopment site/war memorial had anything to do the ad campaign, it was merely jumped on by those neigh sayers who want to criticise a large company for making a profit (a dirty word in many people's vocabulary these days).

Ivan
Old 02-12-14, 08:51 PM

I myself being in the ad industry for 20 years felt it was a superb commercial. Expertly filmed with a missing simplicity and quality that many a multi-million dollar epic out of Hollywood would kill for.

I am still bemused at the complaints from all quarters on this gem.

But....on another note. It still amaze's me that no one has cried blue murder at the fact that at the point where the Poppies were finally removed and shipped off to their new homes. Within day's there was an arms industry "Meet and Greet" at the Tower of London. For anyone not knowing what that is, it's when arms manufacturers pay to shake hands with the people that buy or specify the very decedents of weapons that killed the 888,000 men that the Poppies represented.

Now there's something to complain about and pass comment on. I don't think that bunch will be providing 500,000 to the RBL.

http://rt.com/uk/209755-tower-london-arms-talk/
Old 02-12-14, 08:53 PM

Badger
it was merely jumped on by those neigh sayers who want to criticise a large company for making a profit (a dirty word in many people's vocabulary these days).
I think you've got it in one mate.

Surely it's not beyond the vendor and the buyer's capability to have a large memorial plaque put on the site.
Old 02-12-14, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
Badger
it was merely jumped on by those neigh sayers who want to criticise a large company for making a profit (a dirty word in many people's vocabulary these days).
I think you've got it in one mate.

Surely it's not beyond the vendor and the buyer's capability to have a large memorial plaque put on the site.
The site was meant to remain as a sports ground for people to use and enjoy in memory of those young men who would no longer be able to. Just because it's a field should it not be protected like the numerous stone crosses and plaques that most towns and villages have?
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 02-12-14, 09:41 PM

Lee,
I am sympathetic with your post, but in these 'throwaway' days nothing is for ever,
Churches have been sold and have become furniture showrooms etc. The memorial plaques and crosses have gone into the builder's skips.
Ex Service houses were built to a high spec. fit for the returning hero's. These houses were still being operated by the British Legion up to the 1960s.
Then, in days of rationalisation, these homes were handed over to the private sector to run.
By the year 2000 I do not believe that there were any ex service families in these houses and many had been sold off.
So to hear that a sport's field memorial is being sold for redevelopment does not surprise me at all. That is the ungrateful world we live in.
Eddie