British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-11, 01:09 AM
Banned

Default ATC Armband?

Does anyone happen to know what these armbands were for? The single one is on ebay at the moment, the 'set' I picked up a couple of years ago with some Air Training Corps badges.

Of mine, the blue one is actually a loop, as if it was to be worn on a belt. But of the black armlet (?), I have seen three basically identical. I'm guessing Home Front, but for what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT8215.jpg (39.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqJ,!h!E1fPckY-9BNd4pWQUGg~~_12.jpg (45.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-03-11, 06:49 AM

Sorry I can't help with your nice numbered examples but the ATC did seem quite keen on Armbands. Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (57.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (76.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-03-11, 10:32 AM
Banned

Thats a nice one Rob. Ive seen photos of them worn during the war, including one of an Instructor who is also wearing a Civil Air Guard flying/boiler suit. Additionally the ATC still wear them, I saw one last St Georges day at a dinner.

According to regulations, ATC cadets seconded to the Home Guard were also permitted to wear the 'Home Guard' armband. I am trying to find out if they also wore the 'Fire Guard' armband. I was at the Imperial War Museum this week and found a series of photos following a cadet. One showed him on a factory roof as a fire watcher, but he was in civvies and not ATC uniform.

I am thinking the ones Ive shown were worn but guides at an open air rally or somethig like that. As I say, Ive now seen three, the smaller blue one being on a loop, work horizontally, as if on a belt. A mystery...
Old 12-01-19, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Sorry I can't help with your nice numbered examples but the ATC did seem quite keen on Armbands. Rob.
Nice, I picked up one of these today.

Jerry
Old 12-01-19, 05:39 PM

I don't think these armbands are ATC.

I think they are the sort of armbands worn by military candidates undergoing selection for officer training etc. They identify the individual candidates but are not immediately connected to an individual's name so they are judged impartially. Such things were certainly worn in WW2 and similar versions are still used to day.

Other thoughts welcome.

Jon
Old 13-01-19, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
I don't think these armbands are ATC.

I think they are the sort of armbands worn by military candidates undergoing selection for officer training etc. They identify the individual candidates but are not immediately connected to an individual's name so they are judged impartially. Such things were certainly worn in WW2 and similar versions are still used to day.

Other thoughts welcome.

Jon
The example I picked up yesterday of the ATC instructors arm band
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATC armband 3.jpg (45.0 KB, 19 views)

Jerry
Old 14-01-19, 06:56 AM

I notice the example I have is different to Rob's example, in the style of the lettering and in the colours in the center and on the lettering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sv ATC armband 1.jpg (88.8 KB, 15 views)

Jerry