British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-11-10, 10:33 AM

Default God curses the tomb robbers

Site (saddened in French) of a military archaeologist very angry with the collectors tomb robbers...
Some were put under lock and key favor has he
Of excellent photos full of emotion (be careful some very hard !)

http://www.pourceuxde14.com/

for canadians !

http://www.pourceuxde14.com/album-cat-1-201456.html

God curses the tomb robbers
Old 20-11-10, 03:33 PM
Administrator

How long ago were these excavations?

Regarding the Royal Scot and the Prussian in the same hole - the initials on the cigarette case might make him identifiable (I think the cigarette case refers to the Brit??)

[I think at Fromelles they decided against photographing the dead out of respect - or at least publishing the photographs]
Old 20-11-10, 04:26 PM
Badge Guru

Jeanpit,

Are the badges offered on French markets genuine battlefield finds or are they mostly aged fakes to fool tourists?

A regular regiment cap badge may only be worth 6 pounds in excellent condition, but if the badge is corroded, green and missing its lugs/slider and you say you found it in Polygon Wood you can get 20 for it!

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 20-11-10 at 04:40 PM.
Old 20-11-10, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Jeanpit,

Are the badges offered on French markets genuine battlefield finds or are they mostly aged fakes to fool tourists?

A regular regiment cap badge may only be worth 6 pounds in excellent condition, but if the badge is corroded, green and missing its lugs/slider and you say you found it in Polygon Wood you can get 20 for it!
i think it is like in UK, some genuine and a lot of fakes...., i think 20% genuine max

and sometime genuine battlefield items found in attic and barn .... and this days is a bargain day
on day each 3 or 4 years but a great day....
Old 21-11-10, 06:48 PM

Strange thing I was at the remembrance service in Ieper on the 11-11-10 at 11am 2010, after the service my friend went to buy some gifts, he was approached by a young lad who asked him for his Glengarry badge, which was a Argyle officers badge , the young lad wanted to swap it for a dug up Glasgow Highlanders badge ?. He said no and a deal was struck for the GH badge, he bought the badge for me as I am the membership secretary for the Glasgow Highlanders, I cant make my mind up on this badge if it is delibertly distressed or is genuine, the lad said his dad went out digging up old ww1 bits one wonders if his father or he is a grave robber eh.

Dan
Old 21-11-10, 09:16 PM

Hi i also was in leper for 3 days for the remembrance day services this month
while over there we visited about 6 different shops and museums all were selling cap badges and other items of militaria . most of the cap badges that
i looked at were fakes and also 2 or 3 times what you would pay in uk for geniune items. one of the museums had a number of RND DIV badges on display all of them were poor copys with sliders
so if you are going to france and flanders be sure to have a good look before
buying any badges
cheers paj1
Old 22-11-10, 02:10 AM

My brother visited Poland and area a couple years back. Found an antique store that had a surprising amount of German badges that were corroded, rusty. I declined buying any of these examples thinking they may have been "liberated" from graves. Cheers Brian
Old 22-11-10, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barriefield-brian View Post
My brother visited Poland and area a couple years back. Found an antique store that had a surprising amount of German badges that were corroded, rusty. I declined buying any of these examples thinking they may have been "liberated" from graves. Cheers Brian
I am quite sure that some of this stuff has been "liberated" from German graves in this east.

Look at this example, and click on the sellers other items. Many of the other items he freely admits were "dug" in Latvia.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-ORIGINAL-G...item3cb2b2e8d3

Isn't this the half of a German identity disc that is supposed to remain with the body?