British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-11-13, 01:07 PM

Default Southern Rhodesia Constabulary v SR Cadets

Hi,
I obtained a couple of years ago two sets of badges which I would like to believe are SR Constabulary. My reasons are 1. It would be great!, 2.The metal used in them and the so called SR cadets are different. 3. the SR Const lion/tusk is different to any other I have seen and has long lugs 4. the SRC is the same one depicted in Owens 3107, a light brass look to it.5. It is slightly different to the so called cadets 3109. 6. Military History Journal Vol 1 NO.1 - Dec 1967 No.33 says the SR Const. badge is 'of a' white metal, a lion and tusk with SRC beneath.
I have recently parted with one of these sets to another collector.
Any other comments or observations would be appreciated.
All the best,
Bill Braine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-11-22 12.38.00.jpg (46.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-11-22 12.39.32.jpg (46.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20131021_171524.jpg (38.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 22-11-13, 08:04 PM

Hi Bill,
I have just had a look in my copy of 'The Regiment' 'The History and Uniform of the BSA Police'. R.Hamley 1971.

There is a line drawing of S.R.C surmounted by a lion and tusk. The narrative reads ' Badge of the Southern Rhodesia Constabulary. Made in white metal'

There is a bit about Mashonaland Mounted Police amalgamating with the Matabeleland Constabulary in 1903 to form the Southern Rhodesia Constabulary, but nothing more on the badge.

Regards,

John
Old 23-11-13, 09:47 AM

Thanks John, I had forgotten to check his book. I do get the feeling that there is no real authoritative info on the badges of this era unless one could did up 'Force Orders' of that period. I would not know where to begin, somewhere there must be official records of sorts; sort of hoping something would turn up to put the matter to rest. I would imagine that trying to find written records would be most difficult in Zimbabwe now given their recent history.
All the best
Bill
Old 23-11-13, 10:35 AM

Hi Bill,
You are so right about trying to get information from Zimbabwe. I even had a hassle finding the current address of the Pioneer Society who I guess are no longer fashionable.

Ref the SRC badge. I have a nagging thought at the back of my mind about it which I cannot pin down. Hopefully I will have a sudden blast of inspiration.

Regards,

John
Old 23-11-13, 04:48 PM

Default SRC

There is a good write up on the short life of the Southern Rhodesia Constabulary in ' Service Before Self' by Radford.He describes the shoulder titles as ' white metal block letter shoulder titles displayng the the initials of the force in a straight line'.The sole illustration,a line drawing,indicates a rather ' chunky' piece.

Radford describes the SR Cadet Corps insignia thus - their first cap badge,white metal,lion and tusk facing wearer's right above letters S.R.C
He makes no mention of shoulder titles in respect of this unit.
Old 25-11-13, 08:59 AM

Thanks 1314,
The SRC in the photo is also quite 'chunky' and a different 'alloy' to the rest of what I have seen; anyway it is interesting as one sees other badges with no real info coming from that period, Radford's book is one of the best references of this period but I have seen badges not described in his and other authors books; we keep on looking, that is what makes this hobby fun!
All the best
Bill
Old 15-01-14, 05:04 AM

The Pioneer Society is still in BULAWAYO I WAS THERE IN October THIS YEAR , THEY ARE VERY HELP FULL GO WELL mike
Old 15-01-14, 09:10 AM

Thanks Mike, but the exercise was not to verify their existence, but to find their present postal address. I am glad to know they are still going strong.

Regards
John

Last edited by johnG; 15-01-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 14-10-14, 03:56 PM

You might try here for some info on the Bulawayo address for the Pioneer Society:

Rhodesian Pioneer Club,
P O Box 213,
Lingfield,
Surrey,
RH7 6WW