British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-14, 05:31 PM

Default Bays Buttons, dates?

In his book " Buttons of the British Army" Howard Ripley illustrates two variations of the buttons of the 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays) c 1880-1902 and The Queen's Bays (2nd Dragoon Guards) c1902-1959, page 11, figures 17 and 18 respectively.
In between however I have found another, similar in most respects to figure 18 but having a qvc crown.
I have shown all three below. The one in the middle was made by Jennens & Co, London but does Not show the "three feathers" which I seem to recall being introduced by Jennens c 1860. It is this button, the middle one, to which that I would like to put some dates.
Ideas would be most welcome please.

Best wishes

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2DG Offrs Button qvc 1st Pattern.jpg (15.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2DG Offrs Button qvc 2nd Pattern.jpg (18.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2DG Offrs Button kc.jpg (17.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-04-14, 07:00 PM

Hello Gordon,

In his more recent book 'Buttons of the Regular Army 1855-2000' Howard Ripley gives revised dated for these buttons, 1855-1899 for the first pattern and 1899-1959 for the version with 'Bays' in the centre. This second pattern is noted as 'Gilt, mounted and die-struck and brass, QVC; Gilt, bronze, brass and anodised, KC .....'.

This would seem to solve this dating issue.

Jennens did indeed resume the use of the 'feathers' trademark in about 1860 but I have lots of Jennens Victorian crowned buttons that do not have the feathers. It would seem that their use of the feathers on the backmark was not very consistent.

Regards
Roger
Old 09-04-14, 10:15 PM

Default Bays Button qvc

Hi Roger

Many thanks, I have only the first edition 1855-1970. I didn't realise there was another one.
So middle button would appear to be limited to 1899-1902; quite a short time.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 10-04-14, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTankie View Post
Hi Roger

Many thanks, I have only the first edition 1855-1970. I didn't realise there was another one.
So middle button would appear to be limited to 1899-1902; quite a short time.

Best wishes

Gordon
Hello Gordon,

Strictly speaking the 'Buttons of the Regular Army 1855-2000' is a new work, rather than a new edition of the old. It uses line drawings instead of photos and is restricted to the Regular Army rather than the somewhat wider reach of the original. No militia, yeomanry, mess buttons and so on. 555 buttons illustrated and lots of new ones with upated information.

It is still available new from Howard Ripley who sometimes sells it on ebay. I bought another copy (in case my well thumbed version falls apart at some point!) for just £8.00 (plus postage) at the end of last year. Worth looking out for but don't go paying over the top for a secondhand version as someone did recently!

Regards
Roger
Old 11-04-14, 10:31 PM

Hi Roger

Many thanks, I will look out for it.

Best wishes

Gordon