British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-16, 09:48 PM

£75k a year + expenses equal to a working mans annual salary, 110 days paid holiday a year and they ask where to make austerity cuts? The only time we see our MP is 6 months before the election! For some reason i get a regular email telling me how much good my MP has been doing for the area and patting himself on the back doing the job he is paid to do!

Last edited by Deejayuu; 22-06-16 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Replaced text as duplicate posting
Old 22-06-16, 10:02 PM

Ever wondered why you mark your paper with a pencil tied to a piece of string in the booth??
I'm taking a pen just to make sure they know which way I vote!
But if the majority of people vote 'in' you had best bring your own vaseline as the EU won't ease your pain when they bend us over
Old 22-06-16, 10:44 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
They are just catering for all those whom english is not their first language. However Mr Cameron will probably supply interpreters for them.
Well, that would not surprise me...he has even put pictures on the guide in case we can't read.
Anyway, that's turkey off the menu for my Christmas dinner......I hope it isn't us that gets stuffed!
Old 23-06-16, 06:02 AM

I'd unsubscribe to that email if I were you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
£75k a year + expenses equal to a working mans annual salary, 110 days paid holiday a year and they ask where to make austerity cuts? The only time we see our MP is 6 months before the election! For some reason i get a regular email telling me how much good my MP has been doing for the area and patting himself on the back doing the job he is paid to do!
Old 23-06-16, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Maclean View Post
I've been thinking quite a bit about the Scots position in all this. If the vote is out and the majority of Scots also vote out then the fragrant one hasn't really got an argument.
On the other hand if it's out and the majority of Scots vote remain she'll want another Indyref. If the Scots then vote for independence where will that lead?
They have to adopt the Euro and leave the U.K. Who then foots the bill as oil won't cut it and why should England, Wales and N.I. support them? Charge us for Faslane?
I don't honestly see them ever leaving us
As one of those scrounging scots who live of the English I hate to tell you there are a number of scots who are more pro Europe than british and your comments are a good example why thousand of my country man have died defending this pile my mother lost 2 brothers and 1 came home deaf , and as for oil and gas you were quite happy to take the money when it was booming
and as for Faslane it would be political no go to have them in a southern English port and where was the poll tax tried first hear , to quote you many scots have footed the bill .
Old 23-06-16, 06:32 AM

Hello British Friends

STAY WITH US, PLEASE !!!!

cordially
Didier
Old 23-06-16, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee222 View Post
As one of those scrounging scots who live of the English I hate to tell you there are a number of scots who are more pro Europe than british and your comments are a good example why thousand of my country man have died defending this pile my mother lost 2 brothers and 1 came home deaf , and as for oil and gas you were quite happy to take the money when it was booming
and as for Faslane it would be political no go to have them in a southern English port and where was the poll tax tried first hear , to quote you many scots have footed the bill .
Uncalled for.

This is from somebody that could hardly live further away from Scotland, and still be in the UK, if I tried.

I just hope you were being ironic.
Old 23-06-16, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
OUT.

Of all the people I know and have met and discussed this matter with, I have met only 2 who wish to remain.

Why they wish to do so is beyond my imagination.

Regards.

brian
Possibly says rather more about you and your choice of friends than anything else?

Those "undemocratic" Europeans with PR have no less than 24 UKIP MEPs supposedly representing us in Europe.

Meanwhile, in the "democratic" UK, due to a flawed system called FPTP, there is just one single UKIP MP.

What is even funnier is that Douglas Carswell seems to spend rather a lot of his time fighting with Nigel Farage.
Old 23-06-16, 08:04 AM

Default .................

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead!
In peace there’s nothing so becomes a man,
As modest stillness and humility;
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger:
Stiffen the sinews, conjure up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favoured rage:
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let it pry through the portage of the head,
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o’erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O’erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill’d with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide;
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English,
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought,
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument.
Dishonour not your mothers: now attest,
That those whom you call’d fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture: let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game’s afoot:
Follow your spirit; and upon this charge,
Cry ‘God for Harry! England! and Saint George!'
Old 23-06-16, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee222 View Post
Isn't it amazing that this Anglo Scottish hatred has only appeared since devolution and is actually only in the minds of a few clowns who regularly post their drivel on newspaper comment pages. The vast majority of people in the UK have no animosity toward people from the other parts of the UK. As for the poll tax, how I wish it had continued when I , as the only worker in the house, was paying the same tax as the family next door who had both parents and 3 sons all working.Closing Faslane will also see thousands of Scots thrown out of work and unless they move the actual, place it would still be devastated by an atomic attack on rUK. Just saying.
Old 23-06-16, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just View Post
Hello British Friends

STAY WITH US, PLEASE !!!!

cordially
Didier
NO!
Old 23-06-16, 09:38 AM

Hadn't realised that there were only 11 of us out of the 28 member states paying money in to the EU with rest taking out.

Interesting graphic I found on the BBC website showing how much each member contributes or takes out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EEC.jpg (31.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 23-06-16, 10:26 AM
Badge Guru

Vote either way as per what you see with your OWN eyes. Do not believe any politician or government statistic.

The way the death of a poor women has been used to gain votes as the result of failed "care in the community"....shocking. There are those in government who should be ashamed of themselves. What a disgrace this whole referendum has been.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 23-06-16 at 10:33 AM.
Old 23-06-16, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Hadn't realised that there were only 11 of us out of the 28 member states paying money in to the EU with rest taking out.

Interesting graphic I found on the BBC website showing how much each member contributes or takes out.
That's a great chart, it looks like if Greece left Germany wouldn't have to pay anything.

Rob
Old 23-06-16, 10:44 AM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

I have to agree with Jibba JabbA about the way that the campaign has been conducted. Spin and lies or half truths twisted to suit an argument. The fear tactics and the nasty personal attacks. I have also been amazed how little grasp the politicians have about reality and the problems facing us in the real world. It seems to me at times that certain politicians have been more concerned with their own future than with other people. Un fortunately in the area where I live over 30000 jobs have been lost in the last 5 years with absolutely no investment at all in the area to compensate. Many kids do a one year course at college and there are no jobs to go to. I feel desperately sorry for them. That is why I voted OUT.