British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-03-19, 05:20 PM

Default Badges on Battledress

In Farnham today I secured my copy of the two-volume "Badges on Battledress" by Jon Mills. It's a masterpiece - unbelievably comprehensive and excellently illustrated and printed. For those interested in British, Canadian and Empire/Colonial cloth insignia centred on the period 1940 - mid-1960s, it's essential reading. Mike
Old 03-03-19, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
In Farnham today I secured my copy of the two-volume "Badges on Battledress" by Jon Mills. It's a masterpiece - unbelievably comprehensive and excellently illustrated and printed. For those interested in British, Canadian and Empire/Colonial cloth insignia centred on the period 1940 - mid-1960s, it's essential reading. Mike
Totally agree.

Marc
Old 05-03-19, 06:45 PM

I am now ready and able to send out copies of my book.

If you expressed an interest and would still like a copy please email me at
bob19391967@yahoo.co.uk and I will send a invoice with details of delivery and payment methods.

Thanks to all who are supporting my mad project.

Jon
Old 07-03-19, 11:36 PM

Hi Jon
I must congratulate you on a very fine reference work that you have spent many hours on relentlessly on achieving !! It a must for any British cloth badge collector who collects formation badges from WWII - 1960'S ATB STEVE

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !
Old 08-03-19, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I totally concur with Mike, a superb publication, containing wealth of information, which will be the “bible” for collectors. Indeed I am already revising my “Wanted” list and using BoB numbers as reference!

I agree with the comments that the publication would have been more manageable in four volumes rather than two but, I suspect, this would have increased the price considerably.

Keith
Old 08-03-19, 09:55 AM

My thanks for all the supportive comments. As Keith quite rightly says four volumes would have made them more manageable but would have doubled (at least) the already eye-wateringly expensive print bill.

Look on lifting them as part of your daily exercise regime.

Jon
Old 08-03-19, 10:59 AM

Fortunately I've already invested in a RGJ lectern (bought originally to support "Anodised Aluminium: The 'No Bull' Cap Badge of the British Army") and an eagle lectern, so all I need do is buy a sturdier desk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170605_154401~2.jpg (44.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170516_132133029_HDR~2.jpg (54.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 14-03-19, 03:02 PM

I have now sold over a quarter of the print run of my book which has been well received.

Comments received include:-

Best study on the subject ever
Will become the bible for cloth collectors
Informative and extremely detailed
Fantastic end result in both content and production quality
Everyone at the Stratford Fair was buzzing about it

So get your copy whilst stocks last

Email me at bob19391967@yahoo.co.uk to buy one.

Jon

Jon
Old 14-03-19, 03:21 PM

Hello Jon, had responded through the email link a few weeks ago to purchase. Had not heard anything yet.
Thanks
Jack
Old 14-03-19, 03:23 PM

An acquaintance of mine, an expert on WWII British Army Commando organisation and insignia has merely glimpsed the chapter concerning their insignia and states:

"Wow, looks like an excellent book ....... he has read the relevant documents at the Nat Archives........ On first impression it looks, as far as Commandos are concerned, that he is far better informed than......." (name of author he deems uninformed ommitted).
Old 27-03-19, 02:48 PM

Having just received my copy of Jon's master-work I not only echo all the good comments in this thread, but also add that the detailed index and superb layout make the 2 volumes easy to navigate. It is a massive subject and Jon has to be congratulated on his clarity of presentation. It is obvious that a huge amount of thought has gone into the structure of each Chapter, and how each Chapter contributes to the whole. Jon is also to be congratulated on his word-craft. The amount of information contained in each page, paragraph or sentence is remarkable. Yet it retains a user friendly style that will educate experts and beginners alike. The copious footnotes gain optimal efficiency in 'fluidity' of text, balanced with provision of vital notes on sources - in deed the sources listed will no doubt prompt many researchers to dig further into the files noted. I would think the number of images included in this work, supported by relevant text, provide unprecedented contextual evidence of where, why, when and how the various elements of insignia were worn. It is difficult to be too 'glowing' about this publication - enough has been said by other contributors to this thread, and in the foreword by General The Lord Richard Dannatt GCB, CBE, MC, DL no less - sufficient to say, it surely is a 'must have' source of research for anyone interested in Military Insignia and our military heritage.
Many thanks Jon for this ground-breaking addition to our libraries.
Mike
Old 15-04-19, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I received my copies a couple of days ago. I am delighted to tell members of the forum that these 2 books are well worth the money my Wife spent on them. I believe that these books are ground breaking. A lot of time has been taken to get the information across to the reader. I have found a few items that I thought were fakes are indeed the real issued items. We done Jon for the years of planning to come up with the books. Thank you.

Martin J Wright.
Old 17-04-19, 06:40 AM

Jon - I spent yesterday afternoon at the Overlord museum at Omaha Beach and was pleasantly surprised to see your book on sale in the shop there. I can only echo the comments made by other members - it is an excellent book, well done.

Best,
Paul
Old 17-04-19, 09:43 AM

Paul,

Many thanks. As you say it was on sale although they don't have quite as many copies for sale as planned as the couriers managed to mangle several en route. I just hope they sell well enough there to justify sending the museum some more armour-plated copies.

Jon

Last edited by Postwarden; 17-04-19 at 02:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 17-04-19, 11:43 AM

Received my copies here in the U.S. late last week. Have not had much time to go through in detail but from what I have seen they look amazing, well done Jon.

Best
Jack