British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-19, 02:46 PM
Leeds Pals

I am new to collecting cap badges and shoulder titles from the Great War. I am most interested in collecting badges etc from the West Yorkshire battalions. I have a few items that is growing. Thank you all for your help, I am learning.
Old 11-11-19, 02:49 PM
Leeds Pals

I am new to collecting cap badges etc from the Great War, I am most interested in collecting badges and shoulder titles from the West Yorkshire battalions. Thank you all for your help. I am learning
Old 11-11-19, 03:00 PM
Leeds Pals

I will not be selling the badge on Paul as a original. I have no plans in selling it. As I said its is now for reference only for compering.
Old 11-11-19, 03:05 PM

Good number of threads on this subject- via the search box. Here is one thread. https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ght=leeds+pals I've nothing I can add that has not been said before. Regards, Paul.
Old 11-11-19, 03:11 PM
Leeds Pals

Thank you for your help, you are lucky to have a original Leeds Pals cap badge. in time I will have one also Paul ��
Old 11-11-19, 03:15 PM
Leeds Pals

Thank you for the thread Paul.
Old 11-11-19, 03:36 PM

You are correct to hang on to copies as there is one thing to keep in mind. At this point in time there may be nothing in favour of a badge- but as time goes by who can know what information may turn up- further information that condemns a badge- or evidence that shows it to in fact be good. Regards, Paul.
Old 11-11-19, 05:34 PM
Leeds Pals

That is so true Paul! Who knows!
Old 11-11-19, 05:52 PM
Leeds Pals

I would like to know the origin of these so called fake cap badges. They are well made, what I mean was they made for the Leeds council employees to wear on there cap and dealers mistaken them as a Pals cap badge. If I had the skills to make fake cap badges, I would makei them spot on. Its military dealers and Ebay dealers that sell them as original, they should know better.
Old 11-11-19, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds Pals View Post
There is one thing I don't get about these so called fakes! Yes there fakes if sold as Leeds Pals cap badges ,but they are well made from quality stamps and made of brass! But I wonder are these cap badges are for the Leeds city council employees mistaken to be Leeds Pals?I have seen the tram badges and also outside the Armley prison gates it has the same badge as the Pals in stone. It would be interesting to know the origin of these cap badges! What cap badge did the 17th battalion had?. I live in Yorkshire, I have been to there camp in the Dale's and photo there memorial with the cap badge on
To the best of my knowledge there was never a Leeds City Tramways badge that could be passed off as a Pals badge. I don't know about the other Leeds City departments but having long had an interest in British tramways badges as well as military badges, I think I would have noticed if there was.

Last edited by Hoot; 11-11-19 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 10:59 PM

Default Fake badges

I have all the Canadian Scottish WW1 my father collected just after wWW2 ended up to 1950, ands I'm dammed certain there are no fakes amongst them. I once asked a dealer how much and he offered me 1500 for the lot. I sodded him off, went in library, found and old book 20 years out of date, by the time I'd checked 1/2 of them it came to over 3000 quid, and some of them were good value even then, I contacted a Canadian forum and they wanted me to fly over with them, NO bloody way. I still have them mounted on boards parcelled up for my daughters when I pop off.

[/SIZE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I collect in general Great War badges- and there are well made fakes to most if not all regiments and battalions. Market is flooded. Even when a badge is common/ easy to obtain if produced for a big regiment or in use for many years, there are still good copies. Its all in the detail, and can be disappointing when you find out you don't have an original to period badge, and I doubt there is any collector who has not bought a badge- or many, that have turned out to be non original. Regards, Paul.

Nephew of Walter Holmes.
Last of the original Accrington
Pals to be killed in action
29-09-1918 1730 hrs.
Old 11-11-19, 11:40 PM

Great to have had such a collection to pass on to your family. A collection from the period you mention collected at the time must be wonderful to have.
For any active collector now- I would think it over confidence if anyone should state that they have never been caught out with a fake badge. The longer you collect hopefully the more knowledge is gained, but as we are all fallible human beings, mistakes will happen. Regards, Paul
Old 12-11-19, 02:35 PM

Default Fake badges

How do they make these fake badges in the first place, it would take a lot of time and engineering skills to make stamps and dies
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Great to have had such a collection to pass on to your family. A collection from the period you mention collected at the time must be wonderful to have.
For any active collector now- I would think it over confidence if anyone should state that they have never been caught out with a fake badge. The longer you collect hopefully the more knowledge is gained, but as we are all fallible human beings, mistakes will happen. Regards, Paul

Nephew of Walter Holmes.
29-09-1918 1730 hrs.
Old 12-11-19, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semloh Retlaw View Post
How do they make these fake badges in the first place, it would take a lot of time and engineering skills to make stamps and dies
Many new fake dies were made in the 1970s. The workmanship on these is generally poor and there are often significant and obvious difference to the originals when scrutinised.

Some, but not all, original dies, notably from Gaunt, FN and Woodward were used to make restrikes after the period of wear for the collectors market. The early ones of these are obviously the hardest to spot but latterly there are some difference with style and type of sliders/loops used and often the dies wear out due to overuse, also the presses used are of varying weight so reverse detail often differs significantly and is much poorer on reproductions.

I’ve sent you a friend request. If you accept you’ll be able to see 2 albums of badges from mostly fake dies and a few restrikes. These were published in the 1980s by Martin Marsh and were often sold by the ice cream tub-ful!
Old 12-11-19, 04:50 PM

Default Fake Badges

Just been thinking have any of these fakers used the lost wax process. I used that method when I was into Jewelry making
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Many new fake dies were made in the 1970s. The workmanship on these is generally poor and there are often significant and obvious difference to the originals when scrutinised.

Some, but not all, original dies, notably from Gaunt, FN and Woodward were used to make restrikes after the period of wear for the collectors market. The early ones of these are obviously the hardest to spot but latterly there are some difference with style and type of sliders/loops used and often the dies wear out due to overuse, also the presses used are of varying weight so reverse detail often differs significantly and is much poorer on reproductions.

I’ve sent you a friend request. If you accept you’ll be able to see 2 albums of badges from mostly fake dies and a few restrikes. These were published in the 1980s by Martin Marsh and were often sold by the ice cream tub-ful!

Nephew of Walter Holmes.
29-09-1918 1730 hrs.
Closed Thread