British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-07-23, 07:52 AM

Default Tunic identification

Hello,

I'm in need of knowledge.
I recently found in a thrift shop what sounded like a fair copy uniform from an English Grenadier, after having it carefully cleaned, I saw different details implying it may be genuine. I have no problem with copies or genuine except that I would have to say if it's a real one or a well made (my intend is to offer the uniform to a friend of mine who is an english teacher, for her classroom).

From the label located inside the tunic, it seems to have belonged to a member of the "coldstream guard" and was sawn by "Kashket & Partners LTD" which is the official taylor for these uniforms (correct me if I'm wrong).

But the exact kind remains a mystery. Buttons suggest it to be Royal Artillery while the number of buttons and the collar insignia are coherent with coldstream guard. I'm not familiar with ranks/regiment but I thought soldiers serving in the coldstream guard would be from a single regiment.
I looked at many uniform from the coldstream guards and buttons don't match.

Would you be kind and explain me what, in your opinion, may be the origin of the tunic ?
I believe it would be a very nice addition for my friend and her students.

Thank you !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tunic.jpg (48.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg manches.jpg (113.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg label.jpg (87.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg col.jpg (99.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg button.jpg (58.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 17-07-23, 12:30 PM

Hello
The tunic itself is that of a Guardsmen of the Coldstream Guards.
All the buttons however are totally incorrect, the buttons on the tunic are those of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps.
So someone has received the jacket minus buttons, and bought a job lot of RAOC buttons and sewn them on!?
You can buy a job lot of CG buttons probably on eBay, it'll be nice to have the correct buttons on it.
Plus, there is one button missing on the front, there should be ten.
Are there any stripes on the sleeve of the jacket?

Chris
Old 17-07-23, 12:33 PM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...uards&_Osaka=0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385768460...Bk9SR871rr2sYg
Old 17-07-23, 12:53 PM

The shoulder straps have also been removed.

The tenth button is normally replaced by a flat plastic button to allow the belt buckle to fit correctly.

Marc
Old 17-07-23, 02:29 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
The tenth button is normally replaced by a flat plastic button to allow the belt buckle to fit correctly.

Marc
You learn something new every day , looks like a flat red plastic one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Button.jpg (14.7 KB, 30 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 17-07-23, 03:05 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the answers ! .

There's no strap the shoulder, I looked carefully at the tunic and I have seen no sign of removal, it may mean the shoulder straps were removed and shoulders were (re)sawn perfectly.

@ 54Bty : I confirm, there's a flat button on the tenth position. I was not sure if it was legit or if it was a replacement for a lost button.

@ 3dg : No strip on the sleeves and no sign of it on the fabric.
Old 17-07-23, 03:10 PM

Modern Guards tunics are often seen stripped and altered to some degree; this is a perfect example.

CB
Old 17-07-23, 04:02 PM

One from my collection. Would not fit the torso stand.

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tunic FD R&F Coldstream Gds-01-f.jpg (35.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 18-07-23, 07:09 AM

It seems to quite a common practice, judging from what has turned up at local auctions over the years, that when the M.O.D. sell off Guardsman's uniforms in large lots someone removes the buttons either before the initial sale or shortly afterwards.

The buyer thinks that he will make a fortune having bought a bundle of uniforms for £30, but quickly realises that very few people want uniforms without buttons. He then buys a bag full of buttons from the same auction and sews them on regardless of whether or not they are the right buttons. He then attempts to sell the newly buttoned uniform on ebay at an inflated price, and when it doesn't sell after endless relisting, he puts it back in the same auction and sells it for a tenner.

The good news is that, as 3DG has said, the original buttons are not hard to find.