British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-08-23, 01:53 AM

Default 60th Division War Diaries

Hello Everyone,

Has anybody ever got copies of any diaries for this division and can offer any advice on the best way to go about it? Alternatively, does anyone know of any WW1 researchers I could contact? These diaries are not digitised yet, therefore you have to go and copy them. Unfortunately, I live overseas and it is hard to find the time.

What’s the link with badges and insignia, you may ask? I want to read through them for elusive information on some of the insignia for the London Units in this Division.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 12-08-23, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Hello Everyone,

Has anybody ever got copies of any diaries for this division and can offer any advice on the best way to go about it? Alternatively, does anyone know of any WW1 researchers I could contact? These diaries are not digitised yet, therefore you have to go and copy them. Unfortunately, I live overseas and it is hard to find the time.

What’s the link with badges and insignia, you may ask? I want to read through them for elusive information on some of the insignia for the London Units in this Division.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris
Badge information is not contained in war diaries Chris. The information regarding what badges were worn within all divisions was sought towards the end of WW1 by an embryo Imperial War Museum staff of archivists and curators set up specifically, well before the Armistice, to research and record all manner of information concerning the war (‘to end all wars’) effort for the benefit of future generations.

Each commanding officer received a letter asking them to forward by a set date details of all insignia used by his unit during the course of the war. Invariably this task was passed for action to unit adjutants who then compiled the information and with the COs signature sent it as directed to the museum. Take up was initially sketchy and the process had to be repeated within a few months, but eventually most (but not all) units had responded.

There have been various publications in recent decades to bring this information to the public, initially in booklets with limited print runs, but more recently in thoroughly researched and profusely illustrated books by David Bilton published by Pen and Sword. There are currently two volumes (Kitchener and Regular battalions) with the Territorial Force imminent and Corps and Divisional Troops to follow. I have both of these and can recommend them as worthwhile investments, especially if purchased as preloved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9145.jpg (65.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9146.jpeg (87.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9144.jpeg (69.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9143.jpeg (68.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 12-08-23 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-08-23, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
There are currently two volumes (Kitchener and Regular battalions) with the Territorial Force imminent
I believe this will be available at the end of September. I for one am looking forward to it.
Old 12-08-23, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
I believe this will be available at the end of September. I for one am looking forward to it.
Yes me too Nozzer. They are very thorough publications indeed and I’m hoping that both of the succeeding publications will be as good as the first two.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 13-08-23 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-08-23, 11:40 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I have been to the IWM and seen both the surveys they did. I have also gone though all the available books on London Regiment insignia. Often these books take the surveys as a base for their work anyway. I have also gone through many personal accounts. Unfortunately, I have drawn a blank on what I am looking for.
War Diaries do sometimes contain information about badges as I have found it there before. It is not the first place to go, and it is often a long shot, but when you have been unsuccessful with the other sources, I think it is one to cross off the list in order to be thorough.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 13-08-23, 03:58 AM

For example:

56th Division Insignia, The Long, Long Trail

1/23rd Bn. War Diary, Aug. 1916
Old 13-08-23, 08:55 AM

Thanks Drew, I see what you mean now that there is some very limited mention of tactical signs on clothing to enable the identification of advancing troops. I’ll be surprised and interested to see if you learn anything more, as such information doesn’t ordinarily fall within the purview of the short and pithy statements of activity that war diaries were established to cover and record.

Tags
2nd line, london regiment, palestine, salonica