British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-09-13, 04:22 AM

Flash ( sorry, upside down)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 26-09-13, 04:23 AM

Last one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 26-09-13, 07:22 AM

Hi,
After extensive research through my documents and notes, we appear to have a conundrum here.

As my sciene teachers always said, lets look at the known facts:
1. The helmet shell appears to be standard Polo pattern. The colour appears to be khaki drab but the owner informs us is green veld. The green veld helmet was introduced c.1934 with the green veld uniform as an alternative dress to khaki drab uniform. The colour is green grey typical of german field grey uniforms. The pagri was of the same colour as the shell and these helmets (and pagri) appear a mid to light grey when faded.
2. The liner is marked and appears to be an airforce pattern with ear protection flaps. I know nothing about these liners and cannot tell from the pictures, so assume the flaps are part to the liner and this is then attached to the shell. In other words the flaps are not integral to the shell.
3. The cap badge is the standard SAAF page of the period 1926 - 1958/59. The SAAF did wear green veld Polo helmets in the late 1930's
4. The flashes are of the post 1923 UDF pattern for a Mounted Citizen Force unit (lower portion grey) based in the Transvaal (Upper Portion Green). There is a diagonal strip of red and black on the grey lower portion of the flash.

In my opinion certain things dont add up:
1. The documented (official and observed) reference to the flash allows for a Provincial colour to be worn above a branch colour for citizen force units, with a unit colour worn horizontally between the two. So this flash appears to be unofficial (or unknown).
2. I could not find any mounted citizen force unit based in the Transvaal during the issue period of a green veld helmet (1934 - 1940), so again the flash and helmet been together dont add up.
3. The liner dated 1928/29 appear to pre date the shell, but could have been existing stock added to the green veld shell.

Possible avenues for further research:
1. Were green veld polo helmets worn by any other country?
2. Could the flashes belong to anouther country, like India?
3. If the helmet is not South African, then maybe the SAAF badge has been added to helmet in error
4. If South African, then maybe the flashes have been added in error.

So to summ up in my opinion the combination of Green veld shell, airforce liner, unknown flashes and SAAF badge dont appear to add up as an UDF issued item.

Maybe some provinance as to the history of the helmet (if it exists) may shed more light on it.

Regards
Steven

PS. As an aside the 'Regiment Louw Wepener ' was an Orange Free state (Golden Yellow top half) Infantry (Black lower half) unit, so the flash does not belong to them.
Old 27-09-13, 01:49 PM

Mike/Stephen

I have taken the liberty of posting the pic "with flaps" from the other site for Stephens sake.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flaps.jpg (4.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 28-09-13, 06:08 AM

Thanks Brian
Old 28-09-13, 03:50 PM

Hello Steve/Brian,
I spoke to the dealer I purchased it from who said he would contact the collector who he obtained it from - it was part of a large group of SAAF/RAF items that an old time collector was selling off - hopefully he will be able to shed additional light on this piece,
Mike
Old 02-10-13, 06:32 PM

Hello,
I've been doing some additional research - as was stated previously, the helmet flash is divided into an upper and lower halves, suggesting that it is from the Citizen Forces as oppsed to the Permanent Forces. The green upper half indicating Transvaal and the light blue or light grey indicating the branch of service. If the lower half is considered light blue then it would suggest air force, if light grey then ( I assume) Cavalry. The helmet having earflaps is the type issued to airforce units, so this would suggest it would belong to a citizen air force unit from the Transvaal as opposed to mounted or cavalry units. I found the following on the SA airforce website regarding Citizen Air Force in the years immediately preceding WW2, around the date stamped on the interior of the helmet (1928/1929) and during the period the green veld material was used ( 1930's)- see below

"Abridged History of the Citizen Aviator in South Africa
(A more detailed history is available from Directorate Air Force Reserve 012 312 2295)

The first involvement of “citizen-aviators” in the military environment in South Africa can be traced back to 1912. Cecil Compton-Paterson was appointed as the first instructor at the “Military Aviation School” established to train aviators for the “South African Aviation Corps”. A while later the Transvaal Air Training Squadron (TATS) was established to train aviators for the Regular Air Force, this was a slow process and by1923 only 17 officers and 218 other ranks were serving in the fledgling force. To speed up the process a Special Reserve of Flying Officers (SRFO) was established in 1923 to do refresher courses for aviators and in 1926 to do cadet training. (The SRFO existed for several years after World War II.)

In 1925 the SAAF began training cadets to supplement the SRFO pilots. Ground subjects were presented at the Military College and flying training at Zwartkop Air Station. Ten student pilots were awarded SAAF Flying Badges (wings) after qualifying in 1927 and were absorbed into the TATS. Two courses followed in 1930 producing a further 38 cadets. At the same time a scheme to train 50 artisans was initiated.

In July 1927 a scheme of part-time courses for undergraduate pilots and later for artisans was started at the Transvaal University College (presently University of Pretoria) who formed the TUC Air Squadron as part of the SRFO. In 1928 this squadron was absorbed into the TATS and flying and ground training was done before and after normal working hours.

In Europe the rumblings of an impending war were being heard and South Africa, along with other European nations, began to look at military resources. In 1935 the ”One Thousand Pilots” Scheme to train 1000 pilots and 700 aircraft mechanics was launched with a view to training 1000 pilots and 700 mechanics by 1942. To achieve this the TATS was expanded beyond the University of Pretoria to include ab-initio training at civilian flying clubs with advanced training at SAAF Flying Training Schools. In July 1938 the TATS was reorganized into 13 flights located at strategic points in the country and renamed the Union Air Training Group."

Given the aforementioned, I wonder if this helmet may be from one of these Transvaal Air Squadrons that preceded or were contemporary to the SAAF.
Old 03-10-13, 05:01 AM

Hi MIke,
Some good information found. I was unaware of a citizen airforce. As I said previously the flash is not shown in the general instuction for dress of the UDF (i.e. an unrecorded example) but may very well be a valid example.

Regards
Steven
Old 03-10-13, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Mike

I did not intentionally mean to upset you BUT to be honest I have never seen one of these "flap version" polo helmets, issued to South Africans. Our fliers in North Africa wore cloth caps. I have only ever seen one pic of a pilot wearing a SA version of the polo helmet in the East African campaign.

As for the SAAF badge that is also a mystery. I am also not questioning the age of the helmet, it is just and as you can see by the answers here, is that the flash is unknown in these parts of the woods.

If you wish to but I am not pushing you to, can you please say where and when you acquired this piece?

Regards
Brian
Hi Brian just for info heres a pic of 41 Squadron "A" Flight SAAF two members are wearing a polo helmet, and there is also some pic's of mine!, although it has a WAAF badge on it, which I know is right as it came from the original onwer
BM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A FLT.jpg (66.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg My SAAF Hat (1).jpg (50.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg My SAAF Hat (2).jpg (47.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg My SAAF Hat (3).jpg (70.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg My SAAF Hat (4).jpg (80.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-10-13, 12:20 PM

BM

Thanks for this pic, very nice. Yes, as I said in my comment the SAAF did wear these but I never seen one with side flaps and the greenish colouring.

The SAAF once stoop guard outside Buckingham Palace, they also wore the Polo Helmet but with a bronze winged Springbok on top of the helmet. I had a picture of the occasion, will try and find it, hoefully someone else has one?

Regards
Brian
Old 04-10-13, 02:47 PM

Hi Brian,
I was not trying to disprove you, but was trying to show some more pics of SAAF wearing polo helmets, and the different types, maybe I should have made myself abit clearer?
I did know about the SAAF standing guard at Buckingham Palace, but didn't know about the winged springbok!....I was told that members of the SAAF band only wore them.... but now am kicking myself as I was offered one some months back for £30, about R480! don't know what a good price would be? I have only seen 2 and the first one was alot of money as its quite rare apparently?
Would love to see the picture if you could find it!
Stay well
BM
Old 05-10-13, 10:50 AM

BM

So do I.....I looked for it yesterday to no avail. It did clearly showed them or at least the chaps in charge wearing them, you should have bought the Winged Bok emblem, they can go for about 80 to 100 pounds. Seldom seen, thankfully I have one. I was told many were converted into desk ornaments and many chromed! Then again the SAAF Band wore chromed badges so maybe these chromed one's are ok?

Your example is very nice, might well be ok I am sure some WAAF's might well have worn them,(which might explain the good condition of yours?) I have also seen the WAAF ladies wearing rather floppy caps.

I will contact a chap in Aussie that knows a lot about these items and hopefully he might have a copy of the Buckingham House parade pic.

Brian

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 05-10-13 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-10-13, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
BM

So do I.....I looked for it yesterday to no avail. It did clearly showed them or at least the chaps in charge wearing them, you should have bought the Winged Bok emblem, they can go for about 80 to 100 pounds. Seldom seen, thankfully I have one. I was told many were converted into desk ornaments and many chromed! Then again the SAAF Band wore chromed badges so maybe these chromed one's are ok?

Your example is very nice, might well be ok I am sure some WAAF's might well have worn them,(which might explain the good condition of yours?) I have also seen the WAAF ladies wearing rather floppy caps.

I will contact a chap in Aussie that knows a lot about these items and hopefully he might have a copy of the Buckingham House parade pic.

Brian
Hi Brian
Thanks that would be GREAT!, on the lookout now for a winged bok, but bet I wont find one now?
Stay well
BM
Old 06-10-13, 04:38 PM

Hi BM

I see it is correctly known as a FINIAL!

This one went for 7o pounds a few months back. See here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/South-Afri...#ht_773wt_1171

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saaf.jpg (68.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 06-10-13 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-10-13, 06:08 PM

Thats very nice!...I really want one now!!