British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-09-12, 09:54 PM

Default WW1 trio-help requested

Hi all,

A mate of mine knew of my interest in militaria and showed me a WW1 medal trio found amongst a family members estate but with no known connection to any family members. They were to a A.H. Mc Callum, who was 429 WO Cl. 1 with East African Mounted Rifles and also Lieutenant in 2nd. S.A.H.
I am in the process of researching the individual but wondered if anyone could show me pictures of the cap badges worn by these regiments and provide a little background information of where they served in WW1.
I have been offered the medals and if I buy them would like to display them with associated badges. Any information gratefully received.
Regards,

Kevin.
Old 22-09-12, 10:24 AM

Hi Kevin,

what is the medal trio? Would it be the 1914/15 Star, the War Medal and the Peace Medal?
If so the 1914/15 medal was for German South West Africa. Because of this when he was awarded the 14/15 medal he may well have been with another regiment.
As far as I know, SA forces didn't receive a medal for GEA. I dont know if one existed?

SA regiments did fight in GSWA but not in GEA or France as South African regiments weren't allowed to serve outside of Southern Africa and I believe the SAH were raised with volunteers.
The 2nd SAH served in German East Africa.
I also understand those units raised fought as Imperial units.

I don't have their badge but this is the Owens entry:
2 SAH.jpg

Maybe someone has the real thing?

I hope this helps.

regards,

Iain

Last edited by iaindh; 22-09-12 at 10:57 AM.
Old 22-09-12, 02:55 PM

Default 1915 star

Hi Iain,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is the 1915 star and that is named to Lieutenant 2nd SAH. The British War Medal and Victory, were named to him as a Warrant Officer Class 1 with the East African Mounted Rifles.

Thanks for picture of badge, which I'm guessing if you haven't got one, is going to prove a real challenge to find! My main interest is WW1 British badges and anything related to the Hampshire Regt, so I had no idea about S. African regiments. similarly the only medals I collect are to the Hampshires in WW1 but I was pleased to be offered these as both cavalry related and an officer's, which added much to the appeal for me.

I hope I can find out a lot about the soldier and at the same time broaden my knowledge about the conflict on the African continent.

Kind regards,

Kevin.
Old 23-09-12, 10:51 AM

DEC 2010 C89.jpg

I have not heard of the 2nd South African Horse serving in the German South West Africa campaign.

These units were specifically formed for service in East Africa after the conclusion of the campaign.

There were mounted regiments in the South West campaign but they were called " Mounted Rifles".

Is there any chance of sending photographs of the medals that indicate the naming?

The 1914-15 star was only issued for service from 5 August 1914 until 31 December 1915.

The South African units for the campaign only started to leave Durban from 24 December 1915 and the rest followed in January 1916.

The Union government had committed to establish and send 5 batteries of field artillery, 1 mounted brigade, 1 infantry brigade and 1 battalion of the Cape Corps to East Africa.
Old 23-09-12, 11:21 AM

Hi Kevin, the Afrikaans title is 2 ZAR as opposed to 2 SAH. Many of these titles were worn as slouch hat badges as well as shoulder titles. Regards Andrew
Old 23-09-12, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrigade View Post
Attachment 69796

I have not heard of the 2nd South African Horse serving in the German South West Africa campaign.

These units were specifically formed for service in East Africa after the conclusion of the campaign.

There were mounted regiments in the South West campaign but they were called " Mounted Rifles".

Is there any chance of sending photographs of the medals that indicate the naming?

The 1914-15 star was only issued for service from 5 August 1914 until 31 December 1915.

The South African units for the campaign only started to leave Durban from 24 December 1915 and the rest followed in January 1916.

The Union government had committed to establish and send 5 batteries of field artillery, 1 mounted brigade, 1 infantry brigade and 1 battalion of the Cape Corps to East Africa.
Thanks for your reply. I haven't actually bought these yet and they are still with my mate. I can photograph when I see him next but don't have a picture at the moment. I did, however, use a magnifying glass and noted down the exact wording on a bit of paper. It is as follows: (on the star) Lt. A.H. Mc Callum. 2nd S.A.H. (On the BWM & Victory medals) 429 W.O. CL 1. A.H.Mc Callum. E. Afr. M. Rif.
I'm not an expert on medals (or much in life sadly!) but I did wonder about these as I thought it appeared to show a reduction in rank ..... Lt. in 1915 from the info on the star and then a WO on the other two which signify later service, do they not?
What do you reckon - is the 1915 star looking dodgy?
Thanks for all your help guys.

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Elliott; 23-09-12 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 23-09-12, 06:36 PM

Default Found his details on National Archives records

Here he is chaps, slight variations from info on medals but clearly our man:-

Description:
Medal card of McCallum, Alexander H
Corps Regiment No Rank
East African Mounted Rifles 429 Warrant Officer Class 2
South African Mounted Brigade Lieutenant
De Jager's Scouts 8217 Scout
East African Intelligence Department 8217 Warrant Officer Class 1

Given this more accurate account of the units he served with, can anyone now precise his career for me?

Kevin.
Old 24-09-12, 04:59 AM

Hi Kevin,

I believe De Jager's Scouts fought in GSWA so maybe this is where the trail starts and the wrong unit was put on the 1914/15 Star?

regards,

Iain

Last edited by iaindh; 24-09-12 at 05:05 AM.
Old 24-09-12, 05:43 AM

Here is the Orbat of the SA Forces in GEA for interest. This was drawn up from info from an official history - The South Africans with General Smuts in East Africa 1916 published by Collyer 1939 and printed by the SA Government.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg German East Africa ORBAT adjusted.jpg (87.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 24-09-12, 05:47 AM

Iain,

I believe that the star is correctly named and anybody who qualified for the star, immediately qualified for the war and victory medals.

The medal group now makes "sense" to me.

Usually, the recipient's last unit in which he served was engraved on the Victory Medal.

Rank and appointments also changed drastically during the war but this is a very interesting combination.

Scouts were literally used for scouting/reconnaissance work and their task in the mobile warfare that characterised the GSWA campaign was critical to the tactics used by General Botha.

I have the decorations and medals of Major Hunt, DSO, MC in my collection. He was the commander of Hunt's Scouts as a major but became a captain during the GEA campaign. His medal group and citations indicate the type of work conducted by the scout units. The group includes a QSA medal with the "DEFENCE OF MAFEKING" clasp.

Kevin, I would get a reseacrher in South Africa to draw his files as this group belonged to a very interesting man. If you are interested, I can PM you the details of the researcher I use.

Regards,

Will
Old 24-09-12, 08:52 AM

Hi Will,

thanks for clarifying that, I wasn't sure.

regards,

Iain
Old 24-09-12, 09:47 AM

Default Thank you all very much

I'm very pleased with the help and information everyone has given me.
There is such a wealth of knowledge on this forum and people are so generous and supportive.
Kind regards,
Kevin.
Old 24-09-12, 10:50 AM

New Medal Frames 24.JPG

Hi Kevin,

There is so much to be learnt and collecting militaria is a very broad field as we all know.

I have attached Major Hunt's group.

He did exceptionally well as a scout in German South West and East Africa during WW1.

Regards,

Will
Old 24-09-12, 03:42 PM

Kevin

The 2 SAH were one of the few units who could have earned a Star for "East African Service" as they embarked and disembarked before the end of December 1915, some would go so far as to class this a scarce group in fact very nice being an officer. I also have a confirmed 2 SA Horse "Trio for East Africa" however, mine is to a trooper.

So grab it with both hands!

Brian
Old 24-09-12, 04:08 PM

Hi Brian,

perhaps this is why they put 2 SAH on the 1914/15 medal rather than for De Jager's Scouts; this is a very interesting thread as so little info is available particuarly about GEA!

regards,

Iain