British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-11, 09:34 PM

Default SA badges with sliders

Hi all,

the topic came up on an earlier thread, specifically to do with the early KC Durban LI, that the local badge had lugs and the Durham LI had a slider.
In conversation with another forum member it seems there are very few SA slidered cap badges.
I have seen an SA Irish badge for sale with a slider and I've now seen a later Durban LI, 422 in Owens, for sale with a slider. On checking this one in my own collection, it also has a slider.
Can anyone say if this is incorrect, ie lugs were replaced with a slider, or do they also have 422 with a slider?

regards,

Iain
Old 17-11-11, 02:27 AM

No takers on this?
Old 17-11-11, 06:00 AM

Hi Iain
Sliders on SA badges are quite unusual. I have no idea about the DLI badge but I do have a couple of SA Irish caubeen badges with sliders. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is one of the Cape Peninsular Rifles badges which was slidered (Owen 315).
There have been slidered fakes of some of the early medical corps badges, so there may well be fakes of other badges floating around as well.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 17-11-11, 05:15 PM

Hi Alex,

thanks for the input, so there's probably a good chance the DLI shouldnt have a slider.

Maybe some other of our compatriots can confirm.

regards,

Iain
Old 17-11-11, 06:26 PM

Hi Iain, I have just gone through my collection. I have the following badges with sliders: Owen 67, 314, 316, 422, 498, 524(WW1 Gilt), 556, 558, 638, 641, 823. Number 418 with a slider is Durham, not Durban. 755 with a slider is a fake. I hope this helps. Regards Andrew
Old 17-11-11, 06:59 PM

Iain

I have an "economy" WW2 DLI badge that belonged to a great uncle, it has a slider, will dig it out and post a pic.

Brian
Old 17-11-11, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi Iain, I have just gone through my collection. I have the following badges with sliders: Owen 67, 314, 316, 422, 498, 524(WW1 Gilt), 556, 558, 638, 641, 823. Number 418 with a slider is Durham, not Durban. 755 with a slider is a fake. I hope this helps. Regards Andrew
Hi Andrew,

thanks for the trouble; so a lot of Artillery badges had sliders but I see you do have 422, (DLI, 1919 - 64,) with a slider as I have.

Hi Brian, this should be like yours, but mine is in WM.

On another point, I wasn't actually aware they were also faking SA badges! I thought this was a British disease!

regards,

Iain
Old 18-11-11, 04:23 AM

Iain

I seriously doubt there are many SA Fakes, there is just no market and the local dealers would have a number of them by now, yet to see a proven faked old regimental SA Badge, apart from maybe some Special Forces and Koevoet flashes and some cloth stuff, hence, I steer in the opposite direction!

There are even lead WW2 badges that were made in the railway workshops out here that are rather rare today as many were melted down and used as fishing sinkers! Other WW2 badges were made in Egypt and are of bronze, I have a number of RA badges made also made in Egypt. They are not great BUT they were used by the relevent units.

Some of the later SADF and SANDF badges produced locally in SA are really c@#p and these might be perceived to be fakes by the international collecting community at large, who are used to crisp and good looking badges.

This is a good point maybe there should be a thread on suspected fake SA Militaria, lets have a look at what is out there.

Regards
Brian

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 18-11-11 at 04:32 AM.
Old 18-11-11, 06:32 PM

Iain

Here are 2 DLI sliders, one badge produce by Gaunt London and the other is a bronze economy badge produced during the war.

The economy issue belonged to my great uncle who was a sergeant in the DLI during WW2 and was given to me by him during a visit in the early 1970's.

These bronze badges appear to have been given a silver wash.

I will be posting a selection of DLI badges next week.

Brian
Old 19-11-11, 03:12 AM

Hi Brian,

thanks for the pics.

If I saw your economy issue DLI for sale I probably wouldnt buy as it looks suspect but shows how wrong one can be!
I'll be interested to see your other DLI badges.

There seems to be a reasonable market in SA. Just the other day, a BMR slouch cap badge sold for more then R120, not a princely sum but the badge was broken! The crown was broken off from the script which I considered not to be easily repaired but amongst the bidders was a dealer!

I have a cast brass NC badge which is probably an Egypt badge.

Generally we need more input in the SA sector as it would be so nice to have different sections as Oz and Canada have.

regards,
Iain
Old 19-11-11, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Andrew,

thanks for the trouble; so a lot of Artillery badges had sliders but I see you do have 422, (DLI, 1919 - 64,) with a slider as I have.

Hi Brian, this should be like yours, but mine is in WM.

On another point, I wasn't actually aware they were also faking SA badges! I thought this was a British disease!

regards,

Iain
Hi Iain, a "British" disease indeed, but not only theirs. The Regt. President Steyn and the Scottish Horse badges were faked by a dealer in the UK in the 1970's. I don't know if he did any others. Locally we have had a problem with the sheet brass and sheet silver badges being faked. We also have a problem with flashes and lately tupperware flashes being faked. The flashes all seem to stem from one source. I have also recently seen Roodepoort Commando fake cap badges floating around. The ex RSM tells me that they are coming from the same source as the flashes. Then as Brian said Recce, 32 Bn, Parabats etc. are also being faked. It does make me sick. Most fakes are in the more moddern stuff. 1970's and onwards. I would like to see very harsh punishment for it, but this appears to be a problem all over the world. Regards Andrew
Old 19-11-11, 05:57 AM

Hi Brian, I look forward to seeing your DLI items. Have a grand day. Regards Andew
Old 19-11-11, 04:08 PM

Regards the fakes, I say name and shame them........news about the Pres Steyn and Scots Horse shocks me. I have heard about a certain individual in the Gauteng area who is well known up there for faking the flashes and is quite brazen about them, scary stuff!

Will post my DLI cap and beret badges asap. Just resizing them and trying to get pics that are of reasonable quality otherwise there is no point.

Regards
Brian
Old 19-11-11, 06:34 PM

Hi Brian, I agree. The person concerned recently moved to the Western Cape. I look forward to the DLI. Once you have done it, I will see if I have any you don't and post them. I look forward to seeing some I don't have. Regards Andrew
Old 17-01-12, 07:01 PM

Default WWI SAMC double scroll with slide

Hi,
The double scroll SAMC as used in WWI has been faked and can be found on Ebay and with various UK dealers. I believe these were made in the 70's and all have a slider (see pictures found via google). Origuinal ones were issued to the SA contingent and were worn as collar badges with the universal 'Bokkie' badge as a cap badge.

Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FIL1652.JPG (20.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FIL5631.JPG (56.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FIL10549.JPG (36.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg FIL10530.JPG (16.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg copy samc.JPG (60.1 KB, 3 views)