British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-07-08, 07:53 PM

Default Hawke Battalion Badge.

Could any kind soul with a genuine example advice me what to look for in an original badge. Saw one with a reputable dealer but the rear was quite "jelly mould" like...ie if one is familiar with the rear of the Cardiff Pals badge the detail is not clear.

If someone could post a piccie I would be grateful

Thanks

TRT
Old 12-07-08, 04:44 PM

TRT,
I pressume you are referring to the collar badge as worn by the 16th City of Cardiff Battn and not the Cardiff Pals which were the 11th Battn and did not wear a unit specific badge except for the cardboard one used prior to issue of uniforms.
The link below will to you to the post for the 16th collars.
Hwyl,
Kevin
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...4&postcount=10

Last edited by 41st; 12-07-08 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-07-08, 05:15 PM

Kev,

Yes my mistake. Anyone got an image of a good one, front and back

TRT
Old 12-07-08, 08:48 PM
David Douglas

Default Hawke Battalion Badge

Have I missed something ? What is the link between Hawke Bn. and Cardiff Pals ? The post seemed to me to start with one and move to the other - is there any particular reason for that ? If the post was actually about spotting a genuine Hawke Bn. badge then the comment made about the 'jelly mould' is a fair yardstick. Depth of die strike is an indicator of a genuine badge - our faker friends haven't yet perfected the optimum depth for their strikes. Another example of that can be seen when comparing original and fake KOSB helmet plate centres - the originals have considerable 'depth' but the fakes are shallow - in so many ways ! Regards. David
Old 13-07-08, 06:14 PM

No connection, quite simple! Was trying to describe how a badge to the Hawke looked from the rear that I was shown. Did not like it.. Like the cllar badge to the Welsh...jelly mould.

Hope that helps

TRT