British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-17, 06:51 PM

Default Should one break up a pair?

These printed signs came together but I don't have any record of the original owner. They represent Movement Control, 1950's, I think.
Evidently no difference between left/right arm. Which is in itself interesting to know. So is it a bad principle to break up this pair?
Charlie
edit forgot this! IMG_20170121_0001.jpg

Last edited by charlie962; 21-01-17 at 07:42 PM.
Old 21-01-17, 07:36 PM

Any chance of an image ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie962 View Post
These printed signs came together but I don't have any record of the original owner. They represent Movement Control, 1950's, I think.
Evidently no difference between left/right arm. Which is in itself interesting to know. So is it a bad principle to break up this pair?
Charlie
Old 21-01-17, 07:53 PM

A nice pair combination pair not one I have seen previously, that said post war formation signs are still somewhat of a mystery even after recently buying the revised third edition of Cole's badges on battledress.

Jerry
Old 21-01-17, 09:15 PM

From other threads it seems these badges are RE AER of 50s and 60s. I see that the not dissimilar Transportation Control does have a left/right arm variation.
Charlie
Old 21-01-17, 09:42 PM

Default RE Movcon

The rectangular sign (JW!/651) is that of RE Movement Control units. The shield (JW1/650) is RE Army Emergency Reserve (AER) Movement Control units. Both were printed signs and neither came in facing pairs. References are to John Waring's Identification Pamphlet No 1 - available in reprint to MHerS members.
Old 21-01-17, 09:54 PM

I had the impression that both were worn on the same uniform but from what you have posted that would not make sense? The sewing style does look different between the upper and lower badges. I've just always kept them as I got them, not wanting to break them up in ignorance!
Charlie
Old 22-01-17, 07:18 AM

Possible that both were worn at the same time on the same BD blouse - but highly improbable in my view. Perhaps he did National Service in RE Mov Con and volunteered for AER after demob and served in the RE AER equivalent. Several years of mandatory TA service was the norm after National Service demob. Mike
Old 18-11-19, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
The rectangular sign (JW!/651) is that of RE Movement Control units. The shield (JW1/650) is RE Army Emergency Reserve (AER) Movement Control units. Both were printed signs and neither came in facing pairs. References are to John Waring's Identification Pamphlet No 1 - available in reprint to MHerS members.
Was the rectangular one a pst war badge, too?