British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-13, 07:38 PM

Nice piece of ephemera Bill! I have a Xmas 1944 newsletter from the unit, also printed in two colours with the 'Howling Wolf' sign, their newsletter is aptly named, "the Howler".

(any mention of the M7 Priest conversions or other "Kangaroos" in your material from Cfn Ward? have to ask....)
Old 21-01-13, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bill, No there wasn't. There were a couple of menus, a unit "comic book", some small photos and a bit more ephemera.
Old 22-01-13, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStafford View Post
The photo may have been taken in 1942 when REME ( and I believe RCEME) were formed from , among others, the RAOC (RCOC?) . It's possible that they were showing off their new shoulder titles while still wearing their old cap badges. The Y&L man may have been a regimental fitter who transferred to REME/RCEME at the same time.
First line repair remained a unit function untill post-war when the REME was reorganised, so unit badged fitters in most cases would have carried on as before. There were REME LAD's during the war but they did not perform all the duties they do now.
Old 22-01-13, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
I got a couple of group photos the other night of some RCEME guys... or at least that's whet the shoulder titles say. Most of the guys are wearing RCOC cap badges,some none at all. One fellow wearing a British cap badge (not sure what regt.) but it's a Canadian uniform and it looks like a CVSM ribbon above his pocket. A mix of khaki and black berets. From the little I know about where the photos came from I am guessing the photos were taken in Holland or Belgium in the fall of 1944... anybody see anything here that would indicate the contrary.

When were RCEME badges made available in the NWE theatre?
Out of interest, what are the badges they are wearing on their battledress blouses?

Some might be imperfections on the original photo, but others are certainly some sort of badge. Maybe civilian souvenir badges?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg One.jpg (41.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Two.jpg (37.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Three.jpg (48.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 22-01-13, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Some might be imperfections on the original photo, but others are certainly some sort of badge. Maybe civilian souvenir badges?
I've wondered this myself as the central fellow is definitely wearing two small badges on his pocket. Neither I recognize, so your guess as to a civilian origin may be correct.

As for your second detail, I think this is a flaw in the emulsion of the photo.

The third detail I think is his CVSM ribbon, which is just turned backward at a slight angle.

I have a companion photo to this one that started the thread, I discovered it had had a date on the back, "Dec 8, 1944". No location, but the unit was in Tilburg, Netherlands for the entire months of November and December 1944.

Tags
lad crew, rceme, rcoc