British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-18, 07:20 AM

Default Wehrmacht - and Allied formation signs

I'm not optimistic, but I have to ask if anyone has a better quality version of thee attached, very poor quality image. It's part of a Wehrmacht document giving the German Intelligence Agencies' take on British and Commonwealth formation signs as at 15 June 1944. Of particular interest is the inclusion of formation signs for notional Corps and Divisions that were introduced into German thinking by the Allied deception planning staff. Any help or leads would be much appreciated.
DBK_German Doc dated 15 Jun 44.jpg
Old 22-09-18, 10:21 AM

Maybe the NAM or IWM has a copy.

Marc
Old 22-09-18, 10:17 PM

Default Roger Hesketh's "Fortitude"

Roger Hesketh's "Fortitude" (St. Ermin's Press,1999) has the upper portion of this chart on the back of its book jacket. Credit for the colour image is given to the IWM.

Last edited by rolfi; 22-09-18 at 11:54 PM.
Old 22-09-18, 10:27 PM

Not the same chart but colourful......
http://www.petergh.f2s.com/fortitude.html
Old 22-09-18, 11:53 PM

You might find this book more useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l640 (6).jpg (30.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 23-09-18, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Not the same chart but colourful......
http://www.petergh.f2s.com/fortitude.html
Many thanks - one and all. I captured the image on the dust jacket of Hesketh's book some years ago - excellent, but it's the cropped six lines of sign at the bottom of the 15 Jun 44 updated document that have eluded me. I'll try the IWM. Under "Explanation" the Germans annotated signs with x, xx or xxx to indicate the reliability of the source of their information. The most reliable source was, obviously, actual signs removed from PW's uniforms or vehicles, then images such as sketches prepared by a human agent and finally an agent's description. It fascinating to see how many of the notional signs did actually work their way into German intelligence reporting (helped by the fact that almost every German agent active in UK had been captured and "turned").
Old 23-09-18, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
You might find this book more useful.
Thanks. Undoubtedly interesting, but it's the German take on allied signs that I'm looking for. Mike
Old 23-09-18, 02:44 PM

Mike,
try this link. Same title, same date, same subject but the insignia is not laid out in the same format. Could the image you took from the book cover have been changed to be be more dramatic omitting many of the blank spaces??

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...heeres&f=false
Old 23-09-18, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
Mike,
try this link. Same title, same date, same subject but the insignia is not laid out in the same format. Could the image you took from the book cover have been changed to be be more dramatic omitting many of the blank spaces??

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...heeres&f=false
That is very interesting indeed. Very many thanks for your help in finding this. There are about a dozen signs featured here which do not appear in any other similar document. I'll go through it in slow time and report back!
Mike
Old 23-09-18, 05:32 PM

As an example of the complexities of the deception business - here's an example (fuzzy image below of a rampant white unicorn on black):
15 Motorised Division. Comprised of 33 Mot Bde (5 RB, 13 RB and 31 Hussars) and 77 Mot Bde (6 KRRC, 15 KRRC and 14 RB). Notionally arrived in ME from UK Apr 42 as 15 Armd Div. Converted to 15 Mot Div in Nov 43 and moved to India in Nov 44. Held in Southern Army India as IAFSEA (?) Reserve - located at Belgaum.
DBK_15 Jun 44_New version.02.jpg