British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-08, 07:08 PM

Default Cameron Highlanders variations

Hi all, wanted to see if there is any input on these badges which have been in my collection for some time.

First badge is 'bronzed' like an officers (not painted) but the original WM shows wear there is surface wear. Lugged as per normal Cameron badges.

The next badge is heavier and more stout than standard Cameron badges. Possible plated? Main anomaly on this one is the presence of a slider instead of lugs. No sign that it ever had lugs either. Any ideas?

Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 370.jpg (47.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 368.jpg (47.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 18-02-08, 07:10 PM

...and a scan of the obverses...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 363.jpg (94.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 18-02-08, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erracht View Post
First badge is 'bronzed' like an officers (not painted) but the original WM shows wear there is surface wear. Lugged as per normal Cameron badges.
Dean,

Sorry but I don't quite understand what you're getting at about the first badge. Is it plated in sliver which has then been rubbed off on the front, visa versa or have I missed the plot all together?

As for slidered Scotish badges the few that were slidered often had it done for wearing in the Pagri.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 18-02-08, 08:43 PM

Sorry 'bout that - the bronzed badge is a bronzed white metal. The WM shows through where there is surface wear. When I mentioned 'officer's' I was meaning bronzed-looking like OSD badges.

Thanks also for the input on the pagri badges.

Dean
Old 18-02-08, 10:14 PM

OK Dean I get you now, one more question. What colour are the lugs copper or silvered?

White metal can go very dark (dark brass/bronze in tone) if left in damp conditions for a long period. If you say that it appears sivler on high/rubbed points I would say that is what has happened as I believe (but may be wrong) that you cannot plate bronze onto nickel.

There is another thread on an unusual Cameron variation I started a while ago, where the exact opposite to yours is present: silver plate on a brass badge. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...plated+cameron

Luke
Old 19-02-08, 01:33 AM

Thanks for that Luke. The lugs are standard copper ones. May try a bit of polish on the reverse side to see if it comes off, but will leave the obverse as is - rather a nice effect.
Old 19-02-08, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

The slidered Cameron is part of the 1970s set of Franklin Mint commerative infantry badges. These have been discussed before and are quite convincing unless you have seen the rest of the set. I once saw most of the set in a London shop. The Seaforths, Argyles and the Cameronians (half normal size) were also on sliders.

I once bought a Kent badge that was stained brown (tobacco smoke?) but soon came back to w/m with a bit of polish.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 19-02-08 at 08:24 AM.
Old 19-02-08, 02:14 PM

Thanks for that Alan - had forgotten all about the Franklin Mint issues (what don't they commemmorate??). One question though - the others you saw, were thay all 1/2 size or just the Cameronians?

Dean
Old 19-02-08, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Some were identical and unless you recognised them then could easily be confused with originals (silver sliders were the obvious give away) the Border Q/C were very close. Some were garnished with enamel or gilt (RWarcs has a nice sepate gold chain and the KOYLI had a black enamel insert around the rose). The majority were full size. The RLincs was in the Offrs Collar style with a full sized scroll but a half size sphinx while a few were half size.

Alan
Old 19-02-08, 02:27 PM

Once again, many thanks - good information there!

Dean