British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-02-08, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Modern British Army Infantry cap badges -post a/a

I have been gradually adding the most recent British Army badges to my collection to include the post a/a ones. All of the 'new' regts have badges made in a better quaility metal than the old a/a and some of the older designs have been made in a better quality as a/a stocks run out. Some regts were wearing a/a up to their amalgation such as the KOSB and Royal Scots. Others had new badges in better quality metals. Excluding the new regts, the ones I have are:

LI,
Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters,
QLR,
Highlanders (NCOs badge and No 1 dress Bonnet)
Kings
Grenadier Guards (brass for No1 Dress cap)
Coldstream Guards (brass for No 1 Dress cap)
PWRR (2 types)
PWO Yorkshire
Royal Green Jackets

I am led to believe that the RANGLIANs and the Cheshires also had improved badges.

I am not interested in Ammo UK badges but only the MOD issued ones. Is any one aware of any others? How long before the IG,WG and SG also get brass badges instead of a/a?

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 09-04-17 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 14-02-08, 08:42 PM

These are all anodised metal that do not require any polishing, known in some regiments as 'Gopping metal' and disliked by most. It was an MoD cost cutting exercise in that one badge, one type fits all. When they first came out they were all classed as Officers versions, not just by the dealers and collectors but by the RQMS. Some even got sent back as not what was ordered. A couple of the first were; The Parachute Regiment, and The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, later the Really Large Corps adopted the same material. Most of these badges conform to the Officers 'sealed pattern' with lugs instead of sliders which just added to the confusion. The Rifles badge has been changed so that there is one with lugs and one with slider, defeating the original idea.

The Grenadier Guards were wearing their brass badge in the beret when I saw some of them last week. In some cases the Ammo UK badges are a better quality, and they are purchased by some PRI shops and worn by the Soldiers. You will also find collar badges in the same anodised metal, again being passed of as Officers badges. So another collecting field and initials enter our hobby anodised metal or am. Of course if you are from over the pond you may delete the 's' and insert a 'z' if you wish.
Old 15-02-08, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. I had forgotten the RLC '10th Anniversary' badge. I was not aware that the para regt were getting them as well. They were all buying their own from the PRI when I was in the Brigade.

Alan
Old 17-02-08, 11:28 AM

Alan,
I have a bi-metal DOERR no makers name on the slider, a bi-metal RRW no makers name on the slider, a bi-metal R Irish Rangers lugged, a bi-metal RRF lugged, a bi-metal RHF lugged, a WM GH no makers name on slider, a Bi-metal DDR no makers name on slider, a bi-metal RAnglians no makers mark on slider and a frosted WM RGJ lugged. Not sure if they are MOD issue or private purchase. Can post photos if you like.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chrisr; 17-02-08 at 11:37 AM.
Old 17-02-08, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Chris,

I have seen all of those types and as far as I know they were private purchase (less possibly the RRF and RANGLIAN). It is the official ones in the silver metal rather than the old fashioned bi-metal that I am interested in.

Thanks

Alan
Old 17-02-08, 11:33 PM

Alan,
Only the RRF is in the bright silver and gold metal. I have another RAnglains in silver and gold metal lugged but it is two piece with the castle and motto attached to the star with metal prongs bent over at the back and I suspect this is an officer's badge.

I also have a large RGBWR in silver and gold metal metal but is has London Badge & Button Co Ltd and I think it is a private purchase.

Sorry I can't help further.

Chris
Old 18-02-08, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Chris,

The RGBW is the official issue one as they were issued in the improved metals. The first pattern issued on formation of the regt is the large one (sometimes oddly refered to as the Bosnia one by dealers). The second smaller version was introduced around 1999 or so. Both types were worn with a gold coloured metal back badge with blades.

Alan
Old 18-02-08, 09:13 AM

Thank you Alan. Did the units wear the bi-metal private purchase badges that I described at post 4?
Cheers
Chris
Old 18-02-08, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Chris,

I cannot say for certain but probably some soldiers did. The cavalry regts ruthlessly enforced the wearing of private purchase badges but as far as I know none of those Bns did. I certainly never saw any being worn but you would need to be in the Bn to confirm it for sure. I did know an LI SNCO who had his own w/m bugle badge but this was personal prefernce rather than mandated by the RSM and the majority of the bn wore a/a.

The RHF is not likely to have worn them as they did not wear a badge in normal dress and only wore the cap badge with No2 dress with bonnets. I have seen RHF bimetal badges with square lugs which were made for collectors.

Alab
Old 18-02-08, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
Chris,

The RHF is not likely to have worn them as they did not wear a badge in normal dress and only wore the cap badge with No2 dress with bonnets. I have seen RHF bimetal badges with square lugs which were made for collectors.

Alab
Many thanks Alan. My RHF does have square lugs - one for the rejects box.

Regards
Chris
Old 18-02-08, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Chris,

For some reason the GH badge appears in K&K as w/m or a/a. This is the only infantry badge made the break up of the Bde system post 1968, that K&K lists as having a w/m version. All the other new badges are listed as a/a only. An oddity I have never fully understood.

Alan
Old 18-02-08, 11:17 PM

Thank you Alan.

My copy of Vol 2 of K&K is dated 1979. Is there a later edition?

Cheers
Chris
Old 19-02-08, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Chris,

Only reprints I think. Unfortunately unlike Gaylor's book it was never updated to include ommissions and new regts.

Alan
Old 19-02-08, 10:38 AM

Thank you Alan.

Cheers
Chris