British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-08, 04:42 PM

Default WW1 South Staffordshire?

I am just learning about British badges and I have a question about this one. I received it yesterday (with 6 others) and I like it for an original. However the slider has a terrific bend in the middle... although the slider seems hard to bend. Bent sliders are one sign of a restrike... yes? Any comments would be appreciated... thanks.
Old 15-02-08, 04:43 PM

Old 15-02-08, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

The bent slider is not a sign of a restrike. More likely it was bent to fit lower down on the brim of a cap. I have seen several badges like that or with clipped sliders. A bendable slider may be the sign of a modern badge where the brass has not hardened with age but this is a very poor test. Often some makers simply had thinner sliders so I do not use this test.

Your badge looks fine to me.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 15-02-08 at 04:47 PM.
Old 15-02-08, 05:52 PM

here is mine 100% genuine ww1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1532-K649-G12.JPG (22.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg C1530-K649-G12--.JPG (17.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 15-02-08, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
The bent slider is not a sign of a restrike. More likely it was bent to fit lower down on the brim of a cap. I have seen several badges like that or with clipped sliders. A bendable slider may be the sign of a modern badge where the brass has not hardened with age but this is a very poor test. Often some makers simply had thinner sliders so I do not use this test.

Your badge looks fine to me.

Alan
B P & Co. were taken over by Gaunts in 1916. General consensus is that very few firms stamped their sliders pre-WW1. Woodward stamped thier economies and I know of a genuine pre-1906 Tiptaft. This brand is one of those 'dubious' ones seen in a batch discussed on the 8th Leeds Rifles thread.
Old 15-02-08, 06:31 PM

Smile Named sliders

When i got my first badges back in the 1950's I don't think any had names on the sliders, but now there are lots with names. Woodward and Lambourne are two WWI makers who did put names on. Lambourne sliders I know are being put on restrikes and when I can put pics up I will show the difference.
Old 16-02-08, 05:46 AM

Just to add a point on bent sliders.
This was often done (usually an inward bend in the middle) to create a 'friction area' ,making for a more secure & stable 'locking-in' of the badge when in place on the cap. During WW2 small brass clip/plates were often used also. These are found in a few varieties & are quite nice additions to a badge collection.

Cheers !
Steve
Old 16-02-08, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz18 View Post
During WW2 small brass clip/plates were often used also. These are found in a few varieties & are quite nice additions to a badge collection.

Cheers !
Steve
like that i think...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06762.JPG (20.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 16-02-08, 06:57 AM

Indeed, that's the item mentioned (1 type anyway), Frenchy !

Cheers !
Steve

Last edited by dragonz18; 16-02-08 at 07:00 AM.
Old 16-02-08, 08:24 AM

I agree with Alan that this seems to be a general badge. I think Keith was referring to a company called Bent and Parker. I had thought, however, that their stamps were usually styled B&P !?

BTW Admin wat happened to the 'photoes of makers stamps - I can't find it
(or the bibliography)

The little clips were introduced in March 1940 (ACI 262/1940) to keep slidered badges straight on a FSC.
Yes Jeanpit's one appears to be the most common, I have one of those too. BUT I'd like to collect the other varieties if anyone has any spare !!!!
Julian
Old 16-02-08, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
I agree with Alan that this seems to be a general badge. I think Keith was referring to a company called Bent and Parker. I had thought, however, that their stamps were usually styled B&P !?

Julian
Another good reason to be suspicious. That batch I mentioned on the 8th Leeds thread had all sorts and as I wrote there the Tipfaft one was different from a know genuine stamp. I'm certain these were attempts to 'genuinize' a badge getting away from the normal Gaunt & Firmin marks by using other known companies and getting it wrong.
Old 16-02-08, 10:32 AM

Too early in the morning - I had meant "genuine"

Keith, if you mean someone is stamping dubious (or wrong) names on REAL badges, then it's a bit worrying, is'nt it ?!
Apart from the confusion of whether a badge is genuine or not, it b*****s up any chance of researching who made what !
Julian