British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-18, 11:03 AM

Default CEF regiment ID help requested.

This picture is thought by my Dad (now 84) to be a photo of his Dad who lived in Canada from 1913. Could this be a CEF regiment? IFso, I wonder which one!The photo is not very clear. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7594.jpg (49.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 15-08-18, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Hi legetonegan, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
The soldier in your image is wearing the Canadian 7 button service dress tunic and Canadian Army Service Corps badges.
Old 16-08-18, 05:38 AM

Hi welcome
Bill is right.
Looks to me that the photo is ww1 1914-1918 period. If your dad is 84 he can't be alive in 1913 in Canada. MAybe 1933?
Kind regards
Dan
Old 16-08-18, 11:41 AM

He said it was a photo believed to be his Grandfather not his Dad.
Old 16-08-18, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legetonegan View Post
This picture is thought by my Dad (now 84) to be a photo of his Dad who lived in Canada from 1913. Could this be a CEF regiment? IFso, I wonder which one!The photo is not very clear. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
What was your grandad's name? You can search for his CEF records (if any) on-line http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...es/search.aspx
Old 17-08-18, 10:33 AM

Default thanks

That's great news, Bill A. Dad is delighted to have a positive ID after so many years. Thanks too to redman and to dragon166 for providing clarification.
Old 17-08-18, 10:39 AM

Default Are all CASC records searchable online?

Thanks for the link, Blackadder1966. My grandad's name was James Monteith. The link you provided yields 9 possible matches. 7 were searchable online but weren't my relative. The reference details for the other two don't seem likely candidates either. I wonder if ALL the CASC records are searchable online.
Old 31-08-18, 09:34 AM

The archives are pretty thorough. If he served (and you have a photo to prove it), then there will be a file. Try a more vague version of the name and even spell it wrong. This was a pre computer age and the spelling of a name could be inconsistent or, as the form was hand written, it could have been typed incorrectly into the archives’ computer and put on line. As you have a relative who served in the CEF I would highly recommend ordering the entire military record for them. It will include all of his records including medical, disciplinary, transfer and much more. The stuff visible for free online is only a small portion, usually just their enlistment form.
Old 31-08-18, 09:36 AM

Thank you, that's very helpful.
Old 31-08-18, 09:40 AM

Also, when you do your search, keep in mind how common it was to change units. I have a relative who went through five different battalions during the course of the war. Every time he was wounded, he was returned to a different battalion.
Old 31-08-18, 09:49 AM

That's not something I would have considered ...